Thacker and Tillman

DeepSnap

GT Athlete
Or it could have been a HS recruit who was unhappy with the news, and decided to let the press know.

Could have been any number of things. Agreed that none of us know for sure.

That being said, to me it seems reasonable that this news was not intended to get out at this time. Releasing the news now certainly doesn't help us with recruiting, and it doesn't necessarily help the two of them. Perhaps it was intended to become in January, after the two's contracts were up and they had hopefully found new jobs (with the time that was given to them to keep them on staff these next couple of months). That seems reasonable to me.

Which makes it kinda suck for them that the word got out.

Regardless, overall, it could mean that we already have our DC figured out, or their replacements figured out, or both. I could see it being reasonable that we've got our candidates set, but (like last year with Buster) they're not going to make the news public until after the bowl game.

That's of course speculation, but hey, that's all we can do for now.
AFCA Job Fair 7-10 Jan 2024 at Opryland

Another possible reason no other names have been floated is perhaps "the new guys" are working different/later bowl games & asked not to be publicly IDed, "Honor amongst thieves," and all that.

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
What I don't understand--irrespective of if the news was leaked--is why these coaches wouldn't finish out on the field for the bowl game.

Maybe Key is giving some in-house off-the-field guys a try out to see how they coach?

TechPhi97

Ramblin' Wreck
We might not announce staff changes until after the bowl, but it does allow us to begin the process as it is pretty clear now a couple of the positions we'll be hiring. I don't have any inside info, but to me it signals Sherrer is probably staying and we are getting a jump on Thacker's and Tillman's replacements. If Sherrer wasn't going to be staying, they'd probably clean house all at once after the season and then let the new DC bring in a staff.
This. There are always internal rules about what you have to do to "post" a job, and the first step is typically having a job opening in the first place. They may have indicated they are leaving on their own, or maybe they were moved in order to open up an official position that needs to be filled.