TGW: Patrick Skov successful but still a work in progress

Nobody on here, at least that I've read, is suggesting that Skov is a bad player or shouldn't be playing. I would argue that everyone on here is very happy to have him. All I have read (and happen to agree with) is that some people would like to see Marshall used some more.

He's the most explosive bback we've had since JD. It would be nice to see what he can do, especially in a game like ND where we were struggling to sustain drives. How nice would it have been to see him pop a big run like he did against Alcorn? I'm not saying it would've happened, but it definitely wasn't going to happen with him getting one touch.

As far as sharing reps, 41-15 doesn't sound like sharing to me. The guy with 15 has ~40 more yards than the guy with 41 as well.

Don't take this as a knock on Skov either because I think he is a good player and a great representative of GT. I point this out merely to say that I would like to see the ball in Marshall's hands more than once in a game, especially is we can't get anything going. I think they can be used to compliment each other (like they were in the first game).

GTRX7, where did you see PJ suggest that Marashall has fumbling problems in practice? I saw where he said that he needed to practice better, but he says that about a lot of folks. This is probably my biggest beef with PJ. I understand the importance of practice, but some guys are just gamers. simething just happens when the bullets are flying and they turn it up. Others are practice all-Amreicans but freeze up under the lights (I'm not suggesting this about anybody on our team, just making a statement).

If Marshall truly is putting the ball on the ground all of the time, then I have no problem with him not playing as much. If it's something else, find plays that he can do well and find ways to get the ball in his hands. He's too explosive to be watching from the sideline the whole game.
Notre Dame > Alcorn State. And I am unanimous on this.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Notre Dame > Alcorn State. And I am unanimous on this.

You think? Are you the guy from the Hotels.com commercials?

If you read the sentence after the one mentioning Alcorn you would've noticed that I said I didn't say it would happen. I understand PJ is going to do what he thinks is best for the team, but do you think if Marshall had ran the wrong way right after he fumbled the ball that he would see the field again? The answer is almost certainly no. He hardly saw the field anyways.

If Skov was busting big runs right and left, Marshall might not have been missed as much but he wasn't. The coaches have made several comments about him (Skov) needing to learn how to be a running back this week and there were opportunities missed. I for one would've liked to see what Marshall could have done.

This isn't a bash Skov post either. I think he is a hard nosed player that will continue to get better and I'm glad we've got him. I would just like to see them used to complement each other like they were in the first game (which I understand was against an inferior opponent).

GTBandit22

Helluva Engineer
Comparing a player 3 games into a year with a whole season/career of someone is not a fair metric. Some people last year also said Laskey and Days weren't real threats at Bback, up to about the Pittsburgh game.
I'm sure Skov had some mess ups, but he also made some plays. If we missed 71 assignments, it surely isn't on any one player. Everyone has to do better, but I'm damn glad we have Skov.
With regards to MM, I expect to see more of him going forward. We were in a close game on the road, and I think PJ went with the old war horse. Besides Clemson, we won't face that sort of road crowd again.