TGW: Patrick Skov successful but still a work in progress

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Yup. That is what happens when you graduate two senior starters, lose the guy who was to take their starting spot to injury pre-season (Leggett), and also have the guy who was probably in line after that get injured pre-season as well (Quaide). After all of that, a mature senior transfer is a pretty good option.

A senior transfer running back would be a good option. Not a senior transfer fullback with no experience being a running back in any system. I also disagree that he's doing a good job. His production level is low; to compare, his 4.6 ypc is lower than any single game ypc that Laskey had last year, and Laskey was already on the low end of production from the position to begin with. And the experience he is getting will be of no use to the program after this year.

If we're going to go with a guy who is having to learn on the job, it should be the freshman who is an actual running back, and will be able to use the experience he gains this year to help the team in the following years.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
A senior transfer running back would be a good option. Not a senior transfer fullback with no experience being a running back in any system. I also disagree that he's doing a good job. His production level is low; to compare, his 4.6 ypc is lower than any single game ypc that Laskey had last year, and Laskey was already on the low end of production from the position to begin with. And the experience he is getting will be of no use to the program after this year.

If we're going to go with a guy who is having to learn on the job, it should be the freshman who is an actual running back, and will be able to use the experience he gains this year to help the team in the following years.

I agree. I never understood the hype on Skov, except that he maybe projected well. If he had ball skills, Stanford would have used them. Remember Gerhart?

yellojello

Jolly Good Fellow

Are you really complaining about 4.6 ypc? Should the basis of comparison be BBs in CPJ's system or RBs in general? I'm inclined to believe RBs in general. But to each his own.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
If MM isn't physical he probably won't see the field against the big boys. MM could be another year away from being the "cow bell" in our offense. The college game is way different than HS. You have to be a smart player and have skill. Maybe at this point MM lacks one of these skills. Also, isn't Laskey still in the NFL? I haven't seen where he was let go but could have missed it.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer

I don't necessarily disagree with this, with on exception. PJ seems to suggest that Marshall has had a lot of fumbling problems in practice (and at least once in a game so far). If two guys are pretty close, but one guy has ball control issues, I think you give the majority of the snaps to the other. And, lets remember that we are only talking about who is starting here. Marshall is still getting carries, albeit at a lower rate. I suspect he will continue to get more as the season goes on if he out produces Skov and is as reliable with the ball.

I like the balance the two guys are getting so far, and think it will end up looking a lot like the Laskey/Days balance by the end of the season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

Laskey averaged less than 4.6 yards/carry in 3 games last year (Miami, 4.59; CU, 3.25; FSU, 3.64). He had 3 more games where he averaged 4.7 ypc.

Days had 5 games where he averaged fewer than 4.6 ypc.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
Disappointed to see complaints about PS. He is not an instinctual RB, but he is sure-handed, a tough runner, and a good blocker when he gets his assignment right. He has had some miscues (wrong hole the other day) and left yards on the field by trucking folks instead of juking, but he also saved our bacon by transferring in at a position we were ridiculously thin at. He showed some real chops in the passing game vs. ND, and I'm sure brings a lot to the table off the field. That said, I am anxious for MM to blossom into our feature BB.

Declinometer

Banned
Disappointed to see complaints about PS. He is not an instinctual RB, but he is sure-handed, a tough runner, and a good blocker when he gets his assignment right. He has had some miscues (wrong hole the other day) and left yards on the field by trucking folks instead of juking, but he also saved our bacon by transferring in at a position we were ridiculously thin at. He showed some real chops in the passing game vs. ND, and I'm sure brings a lot to the table off the field. That said, I am anxious for MM to blossom into our feature BB.

We still have Spring Game All-Star Marcus Allen

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Laskey averaged less than 4.6 yards/carry in 3 games last year (Miami, 4.59; CU, 3.25; FSU, 3.64). He had 3 more games where he averaged 4.7 ypc.

Days had 5 games where he averaged fewer than 4.6 ypc.

Was referring to when Laskey was a starter, thought I had put that in there but w/e, and skov's average isn't 4.6. It's slightly less than what Laskey had at miami.

As far as Days goes he had 4 such games not 5, Wofford wasn't under 4.6 ypc. And two of those were 1 carry games so hardly comparable to the starting BB.The only games as a starter that were under 5 were Clemson and FSU, and that is both cherry picking games for Days as well as giving Skov the benefit of having 56% of his carries coming against cupcakes.

Here are some ypc of our bbacks over the years.

2014- Days 5.9 Laskey 5.0
2013 - Sims 5.5 Laskey 5.8
2012 - Laskey 5.2 Sims 4.5
2011 - Sims 5.2 Lyons 6.0
2010 - Allan 5.5
2009 - Dwyer 5.9
2008 Dwyer 7.0

So yeah. 4.6 isn't getting it done. And comparing him to Laskey last year doesn't really change anything. Laskey was already the second worst in that regards. And of course, mistakes happen. You may want to go back and check the numbers.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
I think we all agree we were hoping to see CJ Leggett in that starting position this year (well, really Custis). If anyone wants to blame CPJ or his system for Leggett getting hurt or Custis not making grades, be my guest. As it is, with both of those guys out, I think we are pretty well off with Skov and Marshall and I am happy with the way they are sharing reps. I expect both to do nothing but get better as the season goes on.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Was referring to when Laskey was a starter, thought I had put that in there but w/e, and skov's average isn't 4.6. It's slightly less than what Laskey had at miami.

As far as Days goes he had 4 such games not 5, Wofford wasn't under 4.6 ypc. And two of those were 1 carry games so hardly comparable to the starting BB.The only games as a starter that were under 5 were Clemson and FSU, and that is both cherry picking games for Days as well as giving Skov the benefit of having 56% of his carries coming against cupcakes.

2010 - Allan 5.5
2009 - Dwyer 5.9
2008 Dwyer 7.0

So yeah. 4.6 isn't getting it done. And comparing him to Laskey last year doesn't really change anything. Laskey was already the second worst in that regards. And of course, mistakes happen. You may want to go back and check the numbers.

OK. I guess we'll see if your judgment of Skov is correct at the end of the year.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
Hmmm.........Laskey in NFL while Days in Cobb county cutting hair. Looks like PJ knew something last year and I trust that he knows what he is doing now.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer

2010 - Allan 5.5
2009 - Dwyer 5.9
2008 Dwyer 7.0

How did Ant Allen's numbers look after the first 3 games in 2010? I remember it took him about half the season to figure out what was needed at BB and start piling up real yardage.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Oh. I see what you're saying. I was thinking of whether he CPJ was creative to get the ball into the hands of playmakers, who were typically starters.

I'm not sure that we've had a lot of times when we had someone who was good enough to be a playmaker but not good enough to start or get regular minutes.

I think maybe we used Embry Peeples as a passing target as a Fr in 2008 before he was getting regular minutes.

I thought Perkins was gonna be a natural at Bback. Injuries complicated things along the way but it took a long time for perk to earn CPJs confidence, and then that was at aback. It's easy to look at a guys athleticism and project perceived ability. Then I have to remind myself that I'm not at practices to see things as they are.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Nobody on here, at least that I've read, is suggesting that Skov is a bad player or shouldn't be playing. I would argue that everyone on here is very happy to have him. All I have read (and happen to agree with) is that some people would like to see Marshall used some more.

He's the most explosive bback we've had since JD. It would be nice to see what he can do, especially in a game like ND where we were struggling to sustain drives. How nice would it have been to see him pop a big run like he did against Alcorn? I'm not saying it would've happened, but it definitely wasn't going to happen with him getting one touch.

As far as sharing reps, 41-15 doesn't sound like sharing to me. The guy with 15 has ~40 more yards than the guy with 41 as well.

Don't take this as a knock on Skov either because I think he is a good player and a great representative of GT. I point this out merely to say that I would like to see the ball in Marshall's hands more than once in a game, especially is we can't get anything going. I think they can be used to compliment each other (like they were in the first game).

GTRX7, where did you see PJ suggest that Marashall has fumbling problems in practice? I saw where he said that he needed to practice better, but he says that about a lot of folks. This is probably my biggest beef with PJ. I understand the importance of practice, but some guys are just gamers. simething just happens when the bullets are flying and they turn it up. Others are practice all-Amreicans but freeze up under the lights (I'm not suggesting this about anybody on our team, just making a statement).

If Marshall truly is putting the ball on the ground all of the time, then I have no problem with him not playing as much. If it's something else, find plays that he can do well and find ways to get the ball in his hands. He's too explosive to be watching from the sideline the whole game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Kinda like how it took forever for CPJ to use Synjyn. Synjyn was probably a top 25 player on our roster but went to waste for a good chunk of that time.

I also think we underused our 2 NFL wide outs last year and the year before; I understand with Waller there was motivation issues, but that's why the coaching staff gets paid megabucks - to figure out how to make a meal with the ingredients they have.
Boy, imagine if he'd have used his roster right how good the O might have been. We might have been the most efficient offense ever, oh wait......