Ted vs. Bud and Paul vs. James: Let's Go Jackets

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
Ur X/A seems to be what I mean by pts/driv. I agree about only using non-runback scrimmage points.

I had not thought about yds/drive. That's interesting. Thanks
Your right about the points per drive but I needed to put it in there so it could be multiplied by the yds per drive. It was a formula I came up with back in the 90's to determine the relative strength of football teams. Of course I did not have access to the number of possessions for a team in a game yet alone year so I tried to use results based to figure the number of possessions. You would then take O score and divide it by the D score for a team. For the teams I did historically I think most of the great teams came in with a score of 3-4 a score of 1 would be about average less than one below average. Dividing by the defense put a greater emphasis on defense for the team composite. The problem I never solved was how to accurately account for special teams. The last time I thought about it I was going to try to take average starting position compared to assumed normal starting position and tds on returns but never came to a conclusion. FYI YPP in the upper 30's was great and PPP above 3 was great for offense, but those where NFL teams.