Ted vs. Bud and Paul vs. James: Let's Go Jackets

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Okay, so there will be a couple of side competitions going on for me this football season: Ted Roof vs Bud Foster and Paul Johnson vs James Coley. I know there's all kinds of problems with transitive properties and game-flow etc etc However, we'll have 5 common conference opponents with VPI and d'Oh U.

In my opinion, VPI should again have the best D and Miami the best O of GT's coastal opponents. So, the challenge is how does GT's D and GT's O stack up against them with common opponents.

Here are the stats that I plan on comparing in order of priority:
1) Points/Drive
2) Yards/Play
3) Turnovers

What do y'all think? Worthwhile endeavor?

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
To be really honest, I want our D, from the coordinator on down, to embrace this challenge of being better than Bud.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I do not think your research has to roam too far afield if we are just comparing coordinators. Yds. per play seems like one of the more important stats to me. Time of possession seems also to be critical. 3rd and 4th down conversion rates and scoring in the red zone would all reveal pretty significant comparisons in my mind.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I agree. I do not think your research has to roam too far afield if we are just comparing coordinators. Yds. per play seems like one of the more important stats to me. Time of possession seems also to be critical. 3rd and 4th down conversion rates and scoring in the red zone would all reveal pretty significant comparisons in my mind.

Thanks!!! I'm ambivalent about time of possession (difficult for me to parse between offense and defense), but I really like conversion rates and red zone scoring as interesting stats to compare. I'll have to think about that!

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Thanks!!! I'm ambivalent about time of possession (difficult for me to parse between offense and defense), but I really like conversion rates and red zone scoring as interesting stats to compare. I'll have to think about that!
The only reason I threw in time of possession was that a defense that is forcing a lot of 3 and outs might show that in that stat, I would think.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
I like (X/A)(Y/A)
X= Points given up on D or scored on O, no special teams returns for touchdowns
A= # of Possessions
Y= Yards given up or gained
Obviously the higher number for offense the better and the lower number the better for defense.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I like (X/A)(Y/A)
X= Points given up on D or scored on O, no special teams returns for touchdowns
A= # of Possessions
Y= Yards given up or gained
Obviously the higher number for offense the better and the lower number the better for defense.

Ur X/A seems to be what I mean by pts/driv. I agree about only using non-runback scrimmage points.

I had not thought about yds/drive. That's interesting. Thanks

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
The only reason I threw in time of possession was that a defense that is forcing a lot of 3 and outs might show that in that stat, I would think.

I see what you're saying but TOP seems too complex for that to me. I'm attracted to the ypd stat suggested by @zhavenor for this purpose though (though also not perfect)

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I see what you're saying but TOP seems too complex for that to me. I'm attracted to the ypd stat suggested by @zhavenor for this purpose though (though also not perfect)
His is better. I was talking off the top of my head and as soon as I posted I thought of all the things wrong with it. For instance, a really bad defense will let offenses score so quickly that the time of possession might actually be very low. I have seen box scores where one team wins 30-10 and the other team has twice the time of possession.