Tech Wishbone 1975

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
Yeah Gary Lanier was the starting quarterback most of 1976 and all of 1977.(y)

At the beginning of the season, the qb rotation was Mike Jolly/Bucky splitting time and Gary Hardie was the 3rd string (Lanier was the "pooch" punter). We ran predominately the veer with a little "broken bone" thrown in. Because of injuries, etc. it became evident that Gary Lanier was more of the type qb that Pepper liked. We still ran mostly veer with Gary starting until the week of the ND game when Pepper switched it to all wishbone and never looked back while Lanier was starting.

By the way, about the defense, I don't remember any stats but that defense had talent. About half of them were drafted by NFL teams and even more played in the NFL.

northgajacket

Banned
In re: Shamberger: Pepper moved him to QB to get more running talent there. Problem = Bucky, despite having played QB some in high school, couldn't throw worth a flip. So Pepper moved him back and gave Gary Lanier (I think) a shot.

Didn't Shamberger get chased down by a uga lineman after he had a 10 yard advantage on the guy?

northgajacket

Banned
Bucky wasn't the fastest and he had small hands which makes it more difficult to pitch and pass. What Bucky did have was determination and the other running backs liked to see him ahead of them throwing blocks. He was pretty tough.

and according to Paul Hornung on the Peach Bowl broadcast Shamberger was also pretty popular so to speak.

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
;) I don't get why that team only won 4 games at the very least they should have been 8-2-1 or 7-3-1. David Sims would have had a great NFL career had he not blown his knee out.
The problem wasn't with his knee. It was a congenital defect in his spine (neck) that never showed up or bothered him at Tech. One season he led the NFL in touchdowns and the next year they're telling him he can't play any more.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Thanks for the info(y) That's a really sad story :(
Yes, it is.

I remember one of our offensive coaches being asked on a radio show what Tech does when it has to get yards on 3rd down. His reply: "Give the ball to your big old stud running back!" He meant Sims and, boy, was he right. David would have been an even better BB then Dwyer, but he would have been the AB For The Ages. I don't think we've ever had a guy who was that big and that fast at Tech. And he delivered when he was hit; I can't remember how many tackles he ran through, but it was lots.

One other thing: I need to give a shout out to Tony Head at FB. One reason I wish Lucas Cox had been redshirted was that I could watch a Head clone at BB.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Yeah Gary Lanier was the starting quarterback most of 1976 and all of 1977.(y)

I knew Gary and spoke with him prior to his coming to Tech. When he told me he had a scholarship offer, I was surprised and thought he would never play. While his running and passing ability left a lot to be desired, he was a wizard running the wishbone. He had run it for years growing up in the Catholic school system and it made a difference. It would be nice if our QBs had the same experience.

northgajacket

Banned
I knew Gary and spoke with him prior to his coming to Tech. When he told me he had a scholarship offer, I was surprised and thought he would never play. While his running and passing ability left a lot to be desired, he was a wizard running the wishbone. He had run it for years growing up in the Catholic school system and it made a difference. It would be nice if our QBs had the same experience.

Where was Lanier from?

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
Gary Lanier and Mike Kelley were darned good quarterbacks and Danny Myers was also.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
I think this team beat ND without throwing a pass.

1976 was a crazy year. I think it was my junior year at Tech.

Started off bad losing opener at home to the Cocks. Then Pitt & Tony D beat us bad.

Of course this game will never be forgotten, did not throw a pass:
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082506aaa.html

I decided not to go to the Auburn game. Figured we'd lose again. We had a super long losing streak to them and after the 75 game, I couldn't take another loss to them. So I went home to south Ga and ignored the game. Heard later that night we had won. Go figure.
Then got beat bad by Duke!!!!!
Decided to go sit in the rain at Sanford and dang if we almost didn't pull it off. A late fumble in our own territory killed us.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
1976 was a crazy year. I think it was my junior year at Tech.

Started off bad losing opener at home to the Cocks. Then Pitt & Tony D beat us bad.

Of course this game will never be forgotten, did not throw a pass:
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082506aaa.html

I decided not to go to the Auburn game. Figured we'd lose again. We had a super long losing streak to them and after the 75 game, I couldn't take another loss to them. So I went home to south Ga and ignored the game. Heard later that night we had won. Go figure.
Then got beat bad by Duke!!!!!
Decided to go sit in the rain at Sanford and dang if we almost didn't pull it off. A late fumble in our own territory killed us.
GT beat Tennessee 24-8 in 1977 in Knoxville without throwing a pass also. Here's the program from that game

http://diglib.lib.utk.edu/fbpro/data/1977-10-08/fbpro_1977-10-08_001.jpg.s.jpg