Tech Wishbone 1975

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
So I came upon this video yesterday and watched it. And yes I attended that game. First take a look at the Tech Wishbone. Classic. What struck me strange though was Florida State lines up and runs plays very similar to our Flexbone attack. Take a look and see. Yes it is August.

Yes, I loved to watch the wishbone, especially when Danny Meyers (or is that Bucky Shamberger?) was running it. Not as flexible as what we run today, but a better power formation. Too bad neither of those guys could actually, you know, throw.

I think the Criminoles are running a standard wing-T, but it's been awhile since I've seen one. And, yes, run in a dazzle-dazzle style, the wing-T has a lot of players like ours, except there aren't any true options. Well … unless somebody missed a block, that is.

Yes, I loved to watch the wishbone, especially when Danny Meyers (or is that Bucky Shamberger?) was running it. Not as flexible as what we run today, but a better power formation. Too bad neither of those guys could actually, you know, throw.

I think the Criminoles are running a standard wing-T, but it's been awhile since I've seen one. And, yes, run in a dazzle-dazzle style, the wing-T has a lot of players like ours, except there aren't any true options. Well … unless somebody missed a block, that is.
Loved the wishbone when it is executed right. Never did like the white shoes.

1939hotmagic

Jolly Good Fellow
1975 -- the last truly poor year of FSU football. Weird season. They finished 3-8, but two of their victories were on the road against then #18 Clemson and, end of the season, over then #18 Houston. Head coach Darrell Mudra was fired after his second season, and FSU brought in the head coach from West Virginia, fresh off a Peach Bowl victory: Bobby Bowden.

GT18YJ

Georgia Tech Fan
That was probably the worst injury year Tech ever had. By the end of the season, we were just a shell of what we were at the beginning.

TampaBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
What is GTs defense doing? Did I see GT rush only 2 defensive linemen, have 1 spy, and drop eight into coverage?

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
What is GTs defense doing? Did I see GT rush only 2 defensive linemen, have 1 spy, and drop eight into coverage?

This is actually not a bad way to engage the run and shoot concepts they are running out of those formations on passing downs. Usually the ball is out to quick to get a sack ( the strength of the run and shoot is its 3 step and fire concepts. I would however only do it on long yardage situations.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer

Adrian Rucker I believe

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
1975 -- the last truly poor year of FSU football. Weird season. They finished 3-8, but two of their victories were on the road against then #18 Clemson and, end of the season, over then #18 Houston. Head coach Darrell Mudra was fired after his second season, and FSU brought in the head coach from West Virginia, fresh off a Peach Bowl victory: Bobby Bowden.
1976 with a 5-6 record(lost to a 3-8 Miami team 49-0 and beat North Texas State 13-10) was very bad also but FSU went 10-2 in 1977.

northgajacket

Banned

I thought Shamburger was a wingback.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
In re: Shamberger: Pepper moved him to QB to get more running talent there. Problem = Bucky, despite having played QB some in high school, couldn't throw worth a flip. So Pepper moved him back and gave Gary Lanier (I think) a shot.