Tech vs Washington

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Our pitchers will be fine, why else have 17 on roster? They probably won't go out drinking tonight though (tic)

If we play the games in the sequence listed, the loser of the second game (Ole Miss / Jax) will have to turn right around for an elimination game. Tomorrow could be a very good day .... or a very bad day.

Thunderstorms in early afternoon in the forecast .... reel feel of 97 degrees but hopefully only during the second game!! Yuck.

Last edited:

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Our pitchers will be fine, why else have 17 on roster? They probably won't go out drinking tonight though (tic)

If we play the games in the sequence listed, the loser of the second game (Ole Miss / Jax) will have to turn right around for an elimination game. Tomorrow could be a very good day .... or a very bad day.

We will need them too. Your right, it's good to have that many and it could be(e) more than a feeling or brace for impact.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ball, this is only getting worse. I'll be on the road from 2 to 5 tomorrow. It doesn't make sense to only play one game tomorrow. But I see what the e-mail says.

I just checked the NCAA website and tomorrow's games aren't loading .... maybe they are updating the site at http://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/baseball/d1/2014/05/31

PS - I can't believe that I'm watching Georgia Southern beating FSU 0-3.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Ball, this is only getting worse. I'll be on the road from 2 to 5 tomorrow. It doesn't make sense to only play one game tomorrow. But I see what the e-mail says.

I just checked the NCAA website and tomorrow's games aren't loading .... maybe they are updating the site at http://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/baseball/d1/2014/05/31

PS - I can't believe that I'm watching Georgia Southern beating FSU 0-3.

I can and I can't playing both teams this year.

2-3-2 is messed up. The weather is throwing more strikes more than the game itself. That may be the reason for Sat.

As far as missing it, I hate that for ya. You could use your phone (not while driving), etc. to get the updates here, etc. We'll send you text messages if we have :)

crl85

Jolly Good Fellow
Way to go Jackson State!!... If they somehow find a way to win their bracket, then I believe we will host the Super if we win.... Unless the rules have changed, I remember in 2010 we were a top 8 seed, lost to bama and clemson ended up hosting the Super by default.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Way to go Jackson State!!... If they somehow find a way to win their bracket, then I believe we will host the Super if we win.... Unless the rules have changed, I remember in 2010 we were a top 8 seed, lost to bama and clemson ended up hosting the Super by default.

I mention something about Fresno State in one of my post. This may answer you question.?

With some 293 Division I teams playing, the NCAA switched to a 64-team, Regional field in 1999, with 8 National (super) Seed teams, divided into 16 four-team regionals (each team seeded 1 to 4), with the winners of each of the 16 "Regionals" advancing to eight two-team, best-of-three-format "Super Regionals". The eight Super Regional winners advanced to the CWS in Omaha, NE. In 2008, a number-4-seeded Regional team, the lowest seeding possible (akin to a #13-16 seed in college basketball's March Madness) – the Fresno State Bulldogs – won the CWS championship, against the Bulldogs of the University of Georgia, winning two of three in the championship series. While the CWS format remained the same, the expanded field meant that eight super regional champions would advance. The 64-team bracket is set at the beginning of the championship and teams are not reseeded for the CWS. Since the 1999 College World Series, the four-team brackets in the CWS have been determined by the results of regional and super-regional play, much like the NCAA basketball tournament. Prior to 1999, the pairings for the CWS were not determined until after the completion of the regional tournaments.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I'm not sure half the team would be "easily" up in time for an 8AM game ;)

My flight should be on the ground be 4, so should be able to listen to the end of the game :p

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, just got up and here's the schedule: today @ 1 and 5. Then tomorrow three games, 11, 3 and 7. Monday 2 and 7 if necessary. http://www.olemisssports.com/

This game time listing for today is different than the NCAA site which has the games at 2 and 6 as I type ( http://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/baseball/d1/2014/05/31 )

I trust the Ole Miss site more since they are the ones selling the tickets ....... so stay posted. The truth is an elusive thing.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Overall the three games on Sunday will "help" the team which has lost a game and goes to the championship game on Monday. Someone will have to win that game 5 and will have played a double header on Sunday. But they won't have to play a double header to tie the 2-0 team. The 2-0 team will face a fresher 2-1 team also have to play a double header whereas they didn't before.

For us I, like this if we lose today.
  • Suppose we lose today (game 1). And Ole Miss wins (game 2).
  • Then we would play Jax tomorrow morning in game 3 and win. We shouldn't have to use our second best pitcher or hopefully relievers.
  • Ole Miss and Washington then play game 4 at 3 Sunday which would be the marquee Ole Miss and slighted Washington grudge match. They will both be spent from that game.
  • The depleted game 4 loser has to turn right around and play us at 7. We have great pitching depth and will have rested for 4 hours.
  • Then Monday, we would "just" have to win two games against the game 4 winner. Not easy, but a lot easier than beating the 2-0 team when you just played and they are fresh.
Of course if we beat Washington today and we lose to Ole Miss tomorrow, this sucks.

If we go 2-0, then we wouldn't have the usual advantage, but that's ok. I'll take 2-0 :sneaky:

Of course, there are thunderstorms in the area already ( http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/oxford-ms/38655/weather-radar/333954 ) so this schedule will all change again.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
Well, just got up and here's the schedule: today @ 1 and 5. Then tomorrow three games, 11, 3 and 7. Monday 2 and 7 if necessary. http://www.olemisssports.com/

This game time listing for today is different than the NCAA site which has the games at 2 and 6 as I type ( http://www.ncaa.com/scoreboard/baseball/d1/2014/05/31 )

I trust the Ole Miss site more since they are the ones selling the tickets ....... so stay posted. The truth is an elusive thing.

Ole Miss times are local, Central Time. NCAA times are Eastern Time. So they are both saying the same thing.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
#2 vs #3 is sitting at 8-7 so far. We could even that record up with a win today. 3 #1 seeds lost to #4, FSU, UF, & ULL.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Ole Miss times are local, Central Time. NCAA times are Eastern Time. So they are both saying the same thing.

True. Thanks.

#2 vs #3 is sitting at 8-7 so far. We could even that record up with a win today. 3 #1 seeds lost to #4, FSU, UF, & ULL.

That ULL loss would be very helpful for the winner of our region since ULL is where the super regional is played. Ole Miss wins our region and they would get home field essentially. Everyone else would have neutral field as opposed to hostile field. I just noticed that not only were the three losses #1 seeds, they were national seeds.

Baseball is a cruel game. ULL out hit Jackson State 8-4, stranded 11 and didn't score. Sounds like some of our games this year.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
That ULL loss would be very helpful for the winner of our region since ULL is where the super regional is played. Ole Miss wins our region and they would get home field essentially. Everyone else would have neutral field as opposed to hostile field.

The Super would only be played in Lafayette if ULL wins their regional. The top 8 seeds are guaranteed to host a Super if they win their regional. If the national seed loses, then the NCAA determines which participating team would host. If the host of the "paired" regional was participating, they would almost be guaranteed to host the regional. For example, if ULL lost and Ole Miss wins, then the Super Regional would be in Oxford. If both host teams (#1 seeds) lose then the host team would most likely be the higher seeded remaining team unless there were some extenuating circumstances. We would host the Super if Jackson State won Lafayette and we won Oxford. Our RPI is slightly better than San Diego St so I think we would host them as well. But we would be back in Mississippi if Miss St wins.

Bottom line is that games will always be played at a participating school's stadium until the final 8 go to Omaha.