Tech vs Washington

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Thanks. That's too far for me! I was hoping for Columbia since I have relatives at Folly Beach and near Clemson. But the keg will be cold! And ESPN3 damn well better not be blacked out up here!!!!

Washington lost 4 of their last 5 games. http://www.ncaa.com/schools/washington/baseball 2 losses to #6 RPI Oregon State were understandable. But 2 losses to UCLA, #105 RPI shows they have been beatable if we keep our hitting going.

Before that, Washington had a lot of wins over the likes of Seattle, Utah, Grand Canyon? and Bethume-Cookman with RPIs lower than 183.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A lot about the ACC CG and some about the upcoming game with Washington. http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/052714aaa.html

Interesting that the ACC CG discussion didn't discuss when Roberts drilled Schmit to start B8. Schmit had scored 3 of the 4 runs to that point. Schmit may very well may have said something or done something that our team didn't like. But only Roberts will know for sure.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
I watched the game that I had to record. It looked like Roberts lost control on his pitch and intentionally hit Schmit. Even the announcers made that comment.

This is just my opinion and wasn't there live.

Anyway, that fired us up. Don't mess with the yellow jacket...you get the stinger

Blumpkin Souffle

Bidly Biddington III
I watched the game that I had to record. It looked like Roberts lost control on his pitch and intentionally hit Schmit. Even the announcers made that comment.

This is just my opinion and wasn't there live.

Anyway, that fired us up. Don't mess with the yellow jacket...you get the stinger
As someone who hasn't gotten a chance to see the game yet, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "lost control on his pitch and intentionally hit Schmit." Did he lose control of the pitch or did he peg him?

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
As someone who hasn't gotten a chance to see the game yet, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "lost control on his pitch and intentionally hit Schmit." Did he lose control of the pitch or did he peg him?
He threw the first pitch behind him then beaned him with the second. With the game as close as it was at the time, I highly doubt he intentionally hit him. Had to have hurt though. I think the pitch was 90+mph.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer

Sorry, I was trying to say he didn't mean to. Just didn't type it right. I have had so much crap going on at my desk while my crews are out working I didn't really read how I typed it. Stupid me

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Roberts pegged Schmit in the shoulder and it was real easy to hear. It had to hurt a lot.

At the game I thought there was no way we intentionally walked him. But some unbiased people around me were adamant that we did based on where the balls were thrown. I just looked at Schmit's day:
B2- Lead off HR - barely over the wall and I thought Gonzo brought it back.
B4 - 4 pitch walk with one out. We were up 3-1 at the time. Schmit did come around to score.
B6 - 6 pitch lead off walk. We were only up 3-2 at the time. Schmit came around to score and tie the game.
B8 - the at bat we are talking about. We are up by 3 runs.

My best guess is that Hall told Roberts to be real careful or walk Schmit and possibly that Roberts day would then be over. Schmit had done something to piss us off and Roberts decided to make the walk count. Whether he lost control or not would seem to be something that only Roberts could answer. Roberts had good control in the B7, but you never know. We had two pitchers ready to go. In no way do I think Hall told Roberts to hit Schmit; Hall doesn't play that way.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Uniforms by Regionals:

UniformsbyRegionals.jpg

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Some info on Washington:
In addition to its balanced, experienced lineup, Washington is also dangerous because it feels it was snubbed over not receiving a regional host spot and having to travel to Oxford. The Huskies—in the postseason for the first time since 2004, when Tim Lincecum was a freshman—went 18-9 away from their new ballpark in Seattle this season. It’s a veteran club for coach Lindsay Meggs, loaded with gamers who know how to execute his West Coast offense (which ranks second in the nation in sacrifice bunts and 17th in hit-by-pitches). Senior Brian Wolfe (.361/.417/.512, 5 HR, 35 RBI) and junior Trevor Mitsui (.335/.419/.467, 5 HR, 32 RBI) blossomed into dangerous run producers this spring. Ultra-athletic CF Braden Bishop (.296/.381/.355, 19-for-21 SB) is a disruptive leadoff man, while 2B Andrew Ely (.306/.398/.409) has advanced bat-handling skills and fits perfectly in the 2-hole. That duo plus shortstop Erik Forgione and catcher Austin Rei make Washington exceptional defensively up the middle. The rotation features three quality starters, led by junior righthander Tyler Davis (10-2, 1.75). Meggs described Davis’ 85-88 fastball as “just firm enough” that he can effectively sneak it in on hitters, but his plus changeup is his calling card. Davis struck out just 54 in nearly 100 IP, but opponents are batting .241 against him. Jeff Brigham, a 6-foot, 183-pound junior righty, is a groundball machine thanks to the incredible arm-side bore on his 90-94 mph fastball, and Jared Fisher also has firm stuff from the right side. UW’s bullpen has a quartet of trusted options in lefthander Will Ballowe plus righties Troy Rallings, Trevor Dunlap and Brandon Choate. Their bullpen and defense make them very good in close games.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some info on Washington:
In addition to its balanced, experienced lineup, Washington is also dangerous because it feels it was snubbed over not receiving a regional host spot and having to travel to Oxford. The Huskies—in the postseason for the first time since 2004, when Tim Lincecum was a freshman—went 18-9 away from their new ballpark in Seattle this season. It’s a veteran club for coach Lindsay Meggs, loaded with gamers who know how to execute his West Coast offense (which ranks second in the nation in sacrifice bunts and 17th in hit-by-pitches). Senior Brian Wolfe (.361/.417/.512, 5 HR, 35 RBI) and junior Trevor Mitsui (.335/.419/.467, 5 HR, 32 RBI) blossomed into dangerous run producers this spring. Ultra-athletic CF Braden Bishop (.296/.381/.355, 19-for-21 SB) is a disruptive leadoff man, while 2B Andrew Ely (.306/.398/.409) has advanced bat-handling skills and fits perfectly in the 2-hole. That duo plus shortstop Erik Forgione and catcher Austin Rei make Washington exceptional defensively up the middle. The rotation features three quality starters, led by junior righthander Tyler Davis (10-2, 1.75). Meggs described Davis’ 85-88 fastball as “just firm enough” that he can effectively sneak it in on hitters, but his plus changeup is his calling card. Davis struck out just 54 in nearly 100 IP, but opponents are batting .241 against him. Jeff Brigham, a 6-foot, 183-pound junior righty, is a groundball machine thanks to the incredible arm-side bore on his 90-94 mph fastball, and Jared Fisher also has firm stuff from the right side. UW’s bullpen has a quartet of trusted options in lefthander Will Ballowe plus righties Troy Rallings, Trevor Dunlap and Brandon Choate. Their bullpen and defense make them very good in close games.

Gee, why did they lose any games this year? It must have been another team that lost the series late in the season to UCLA. (tic)

Thanks for the write-up. I'll do some stats later, but Washington should be about a 60-65% favorite. UVa, FSU or Miami are better than Washington and we went 5-5 against those three.

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Danny needs to get his players mind right and ready to perform. He is in the underdog role this year and should full advantage of it. There is not team in this regional better than the heavy weights in the ACC.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Davis (UWs ace) will be on the mound tomorrow. 1.75 ERA and has pitched well against the top teams on their schedule (their overall SOS is pretty weak). Will be a very tough test for the guys. Just gotta get the W and get Stanton on the mound against (presumably) Ole Miss on Saturday and see what happens.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Davis (UWs ace) will be on the mound tomorrow. 1.75 ERA and has pitched well against the top teams on their schedule (their overall SOS is pretty weak). Will be a very tough test for the guys. Just gotta get the W and get Stanton on the mound against (presumably) Ole Miss on Saturday and see what happens.

Makes sense to put your ace on the mound to win the first one. Lose the first one and you are guaranteed to have an extra game on Sunday which was the kiss of death last year.

Washington's SOS was weaker, but their ISR which incorporates the SOS shows they had a very good season. (See http://gtswarm.com/community/threads/gt-odds-in-regionals.2685/ )

Last time he pitched, Davis gave up 2 runs in 8 innings to UCLA. (Washington lost in the 9th by giving up 4 runs.) So we need to score early and often. :sneaky:;)

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Makes sense to put your ace on the mound to win the first one. Lose the first one and you are guaranteed to have an extra game on Sunday which was the kiss of death last year.

Washington's SOS was weaker, but their ISR which incorporates the SOS shows they had a very good season. (See http://gtswarm.com/community/threads/gt-odds-in-regionals.2685/ )

Last time he pitched, Davis gave up 2 runs in 8 innings to UCLA. (Washington lost in the 9th by giving up 4 runs.) So we need to score early and often. :sneaky:;)
And demonstrate a lot of patience at the plate.

Stinger90

Helluva Engineer
Weekend Forecast in Oxford:
Today May 30

38.png

78°F
66°F
Scattered T-Storms
Chance of rain:
60%
Wind:
ESE at 9 mph
Sat May 31

38.png

80°
66°
Scattered T-Storms
Chance of rain:
60%
Wind:
SE at 6 mph
Sun Jun 1

38.png

84°
68°
Scattered T-Storms
Chance of rain:
40%
Wind:
SSE at 7 mph

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm taking the Boomer Gump approach to the game today. Just play well and let things fall where they may. I wish I could watch the team warm up and between innings. They are so relaxed that it relaxes me. Oh well, back to work.

After the season is over and we get to the draft, I'll update all the commits and players status. Does anyone know of a rating service which only includes the players who actually show up to play at a college? Perfect Game doesn't do that. So while Miami looks great on paper, I heard that their top 6 recruits never showed up last year. Same with us - our top two (Hart & McClure) went pro). I would too probably for a $1Ms signing bonus unless I was really confident that I could get more after three years.

Squints

Helluva Engineer
I'm taking the Boomer Gump approach to the game today. Just play well and let things fall where they may. I wish I could watch the team warm up and between innings. They are so relaxed that it relaxes me. Oh well, back to work.

After the season is over and we get to the draft, I'll update all the commits and players status. Does anyone know of a rating service which only includes the players who actually show up to play at a college? Perfect Game doesn't do that. So while Miami looks great on paper, I heard that their top 6 recruits never showed up last year. Same with us - our top two (Hart & McClure) went pro). I would too probably for a $1Ms signing bonus unless I was really confident that I could get more after three years.

I don't know of a site you describe but I know of a couple that track whether draft picks are actually signed which could give you the info you're looking for. I'll see if I can dig them up.