Tech Substance Abuse Policy

northgajacket

Banned
It's as simple as this:

images

presjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Well, they're not wrong. As a non-performance enhancing drug inching closer and closer to full national legalization, it really should carry the same penalty as alcohol infractions.
I might be wrong, but I think the policy does apply to alcohol for underage athletes.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I don't really want to get into the legalization argument, but you're advocating being behind the curve instead of ahead of it. Also, it's kind of funny to see someone who's screen name advocates drinking alcohol straight, no mixer, taking a hard line against another substance with less proven societal ills than alcohol.

I didn't make the laws. And I drink responsibly regardless of my drink of choice.

Less proven societal ills huh? You must not be including the violent crimes associated with distribution of MJ...such as armed robberies, shootings, etc. An issue that concerns me, until it is legalized, is the potential for multiple teammates getting jammed up possibly for another player's poor decision. For instance, if dope is found in a dorm room or apartment by authorities, in a common space, and nobody is willing to "claim it".....every one present or residing there can get busted. Ditto when sharing a car ride.

So there are risks I'd rather our guys and gals avoid if possible and school rules can help mitigate these.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I didn't make the laws. And I drink responsibly regardless of my drink of choice.

Less proven societal ills huh? You must not be including the violent crimes associated with distribution of MJ...such as armed robberies, shootings, etc. An issue that concerns me, until it is legalized, is the potential for multiple teammates getting jammed up possibly for another player's poor decision. For instance, if dope is found in a dorm room or apartment by authorities, in a common space, and nobody is willing to "claim it".....every one present or residing there can get busted. Ditto when sharing a car ride.

So there are risks I'd rather our guys and gals avoid if possible and school rules can help mitigate these.
The violent crimes associated with distribution are purely a result of making it illegal (just like with bootleggers during prohibition), so no I'm absolutely not including them. As for the potential of other teammates taking the fall for one guy's mistake, it seems like a lesser penalty for use would actually provide a lot of relief there (less penalty for admitting it's yours, as well as less penalty for any innocent parties caught up wrongly). Your argument doesn't seem to be against marijuana, just against marijuana prohibition.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Actually, in the states that have legalized medical MJ there has been a statistically significant increase of disability filings (of around 10% iirc.) No one knows the cause, and there are a lot of theories depending on which side you are on. But the facts are the facts, and it is having a measurable societal impact.

And by the way, I am a 'non-user libertarian' who supports a serious consideration of legalization.\

Regardless, the laws are the laws until they are changed. Simple as that.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
The violent crimes associated with distribution are purely a result of making it illegal (just like with bootleggers during prohibition), so no I'm absolutely not including them. As for the potential of other teammates taking the fall for one guy's mistake, it seems like a lesser penalty for use would actually provide a lot of relief there (less penalty for admitting it's yours, as well as less penalty for any innocent parties caught up wrongly). Your argument doesn't seem to be against marijuana, just against marijuana prohibition.

Point is it is still illegal. Feel free to start a "legalize dope" thread if you wish to discuss the merits of legalization.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
... just asking... do you want the person driving a vehicle you are in or performing surgery on you having had a "legal puff" ??

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
As a non-performance enhancing drug
Not so fast my friend. Marijuana containing primarily CBD's are shown to aid in recovery and sleep. Maybe that will be deemed ok, but athletes given access to good strains of weed will have a higher chance of athletic success opposed to those who do not.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Th

There are a ton of songs that glamorize weed smoking
Oh no doubt, but you still won't see a TV commercial or billboard talking about how weed helps you have good times, even in recreationally legal states. One beer commercial I saw the other day just floored me...tagline went "when the game is close, keep the Coronas closer". That commercial is literally advocating stress/problem drinking, and yet it's fine to play on TV. To the country as a whole, the attitude is still "alcohol = perfectly acceptable social activity; marijuana = illegal drug use", which is why you don't see calls to ban alcohol whenever some 8 time repeat offender drunk driver kills someone (not saying we condone that behavior, but only that it doesn't ever reflect back onto alcohol itself). Our current AG isn't really helping matters either.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Oh no doubt, but you still won't see a TV commercial or billboard talking about how weed helps you have good times, even in recreationally legal states. One beer commercial I saw the other day just floored me...tagline went "when the game is close, keep the Coronas closer". That commercial is literally advocating stress/problem drinking, and yet it's fine to play on TV. To the country as a whole, the attitude is still "alcohol = perfectly acceptable social activity; marijuana = illegal drug use", which is why you don't see calls to ban alcohol whenever some 8 time repeat offender drunk driver kills someone (not saying we condone that behavior, but only that it doesn't ever reflect back onto alcohol itself). Our current AG isn't really helping matters either.
It's just the way it is, but times are a changin'!

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
I wouldn't want people to have a "legal drink" either. Why do people glamorize alcohol while vilifying marijuana?
Similar reason folks glamorize drugs... Because they think it's cool to flaunt potentially risky behavior because "nothing bad" will happen to them... Just a WAG...

It's hip to be able to afford the privilege to have a drink or two.
---