Tech Substance Abuse Policy

melloace

Jolly Good Fellow
Sounds like Tech is taking a look at how they handle drug testing. Talks about what the overall goal is with it and wants to focus one getting students the help they need with it. Mentions how it's more random at some places than others.

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
the most shocking thing was how poorly the SEC did in the Fulmer Cup this year. probably explains why the rest of the conference is just kind of meh outside of Alabama
Tennessee has seemed like they keep their noses clean under Butch Jones. Before him they contended every season for the Fulmer Cup. I remember a Tennessee player tried to hold up a gas station In Knoxville about 12 years ago with a toy gun and he was back to playing football in two weeks.

FightWinDrink

Helluva Engineer
Tennessee has seemed like they keep their noses clean under Butch Jones. Before him they contended every season for the Fulmer Cup. I remember a Tennessee player tried to hold up a gas station In Knoxville about 12 years ago with a toy gun and he was back to playing football in two weeks.
To be fair I'm not sure anyone could have beaten Alcorn State this year.

"It was the food fight to end all food fights. 20 Alcorn State players were arrested. The team bonuses alone were worth 20 points. By sheer numbers, the Braves dominate by total number of arrested and total number of points. Florida had the right idea of handling a massive credit card scheme internally (and off the Fulmer Cup books), Alcorn State let the cops do their thing and, for that, we thank them. The actual arrests and charges for Alcorn State were a whirlwind of confusion: we counted 35 charges, but prosecutors said they had 91 when they reduced charges because they said "We felt like that was a bit much, so we narrowed it down" (which we treat as a plea deal, so full points); plus two of the player were then arrested outside the courthouse. What we can say is 95 points was a conservative estimate and the most ever for a single incident."

I mean it says 2nd place ULL committed 14 felonies and still finished well short of them

MikeJackets1967

Helluva Engineer
To be fair I'm not sure anyone could have beaten Alcorn State this year.

"It was the food fight to end all food fights. 20 Alcorn State players were arrested. The team bonuses alone were worth 20 points. By sheer numbers, the Braves dominate by total number of arrested and total number of points. Florida had the right idea of handling a massive credit card scheme internally (and off the Fulmer Cup books), Alcorn State let the cops do their thing and, for that, we thank them. The actual arrests and charges for Alcorn State were a whirlwind of confusion: we counted 35 charges, but prosecutors said they had 91 when they reduced charges because they said "We felt like that was a bit much, so we narrowed it down" (which we treat as a plea deal, so full points); plus two of the player were then arrested outside the courthouse. What we can say is 95 points was a conservative estimate and the most ever for a single incident."

I mean it says 2nd place ULL committed 14 felonies and still finished well short of them
WOW,I guess they are on their way to a Master's Degree in Crime!;)

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I honestly never really thought this was as issue. So few of our guys seem to get kicked out over this, that when it happens it seems like a bigger deal than it really is. If the school wants to figure out a better way of helping SAs that are addicts (keeping them enrolled with counseling or whatever) then that is good, I'm all for helping young men get over whatever obstacles they are facing. If this is just to keep kids on the team that wouldn't be otherwise, I honestly don't think it's going to change much. I'm not trying to act like our **** don't stink, but I can't think of too many examples of GT athletes getting dismissed. Even our last high profile one (obviously speculating, but I think everyone knows who I'm insinuating) was the first in a while that I can remember.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The present policy doesn't make much sense to me and never has.

You catch someone doing something 3 times and they are out. This implies that the threat of being ousted from the program involved is great enough to overwhelm the desire to do the behavior. This is, in my experience, almost never the case when it comes to substance abuse. What needs to be done is an intervention at the first instance and some treatment for the problem. Then, if subsequent instances show that this isn't working, you can move on. Athletic programs aren't intended for social work.

This doesn't apply to crimes like robbery, rape, and assault, of course; the cops catch you and you're out, unless the charges are dropped and no evidence of fault emerges. Even then a school may decide to terminate the relationship without any problems from my perspective.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I just read this myAJC article about this topic. (I'm not sure why I haven't seen this sooner.)
http://www.myajc.com/sports/college...ubstance-abuse-policy/KDAHxaYfymGCwfvN7GRFrJ/
Check out this quote from the article, "Clemson, Miami and Virginia Tech are among ACC schools that have separate provisions for testing positive for marijuana."
Ha. Why does this not surprise me?

Well, they're not wrong. As a non-performance enhancing drug inching closer and closer to full national legalization, it really should carry the same penalty as alcohol infractions.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I'll be inclined to agree when full national legalization becomes a reality.
I don't really want to get into the legalization argument, but you're advocating being behind the curve instead of ahead of it. Also, it's kind of funny to see someone who's screen name advocates drinking alcohol straight, no mixer, taking a hard line against another substance with less proven societal ills than alcohol.