Tech favored over Duke

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
I think we lose to Duke. And every remaining game this year. And after a heart wrenching “Win one for the Gipper” speech, we beat UGA, deny them the Natty, and extend Collins contract another seven years. And build him a statue next to ... Bud Carson.

Idk. I think I would accept losing every game but winning UGA the remainder of this season.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
before you bet on this game here are the scores the last 3 times we played at Duke

Duke 41 GT 23
Duke 43 GT 20
Duke 34 GT 20

I don't think Cut likes us he always has his team ready for us.
Wow, we are remarkably consistent in our offensive results (based on score ……. Hate how you have to qualify everything when dealing w a bunch of engineers, lol)

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I think the spread is about right, but I would have favored Puke because it is up there. UNC beat them badly, but otherwise they've done ok. I'd say the team records are about even Steven. Too close to call, imho.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I had seen visiting teams huddle behind the endzone in the past during halftime since the dressing room was so far away. Duke has since added an indoor practice facility back there. I don't think they have to do that anymore. I go to an occasional game there with a Dookie that has season tix. I usually go with him to a Duke/GT basketball game when we play there as well. Can't make the FB game this year as son is flying back to London on Saturday.
Your comment on team huddling in end zone at halftime just made me remember similar issue at grand son youth football game . At half time kids had to pee. Coach made them go over by fence next to DITCH along sideline. They worked as a team- - some blocking - others....
Thinking that way
"Go Jackets" takes on a different meaning.

Lets just flush the dookie and come back to ATL laughing .

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
2 wins and 3 losses are now a "sign of improvement"? Strange times we live in.

Fine you wanna go that route? Sure I'll play ball.

Yes 2 wins and 3 losses is a "sign of improvement." We aren't even halfway through the season and we have almost matched our win total for each of the past 2 seasons.

Turnovers:
We were 125th last year in turnovers given up last year with 25 (in 10 games). Almost halfway through the year (5 games), we've given up 5.
We forced 18 turnovers last year (10 games), we are currently at 8 turnovers. We are 1 turnover behind where we were last year. Not that much different.

Offense:
2020: currently averaging 389.9 y/game with 5.64 y/play
2021: currently averaging 395 y/game with 5.87 y/play.

I like the points per drive stat better but I can't find that one at the moment

Defense:
2020: currently giving up 459 y/game with 5.86 y/play
2021: currently 361.0 y/game with 5.31 (yards per play).

Penalties:
2020: 89 penalties through 10 games (8.9 per game)
2021: 27 penalties through 5 games (5.4 per game)

Kicking:
Don't have stats on this but anything is better than what last years was. Brent can actually kick a field goal and Gavin Stewart has kicked it out of the endzone on kickoffs more times than I can count

So what does this tell us:

• Our offense might not have improved in moving the ball as much as we like, but we are not hurting ourselves nearly as much as last year.
  • While creating almost the same amount of turnovers, our defense is doing a lot more to limit how much the opposing team moves the ball
  • Our penalties were 125th/127 last year in bad. We are now 37th. We are not hurting ourselves as much as last year.
  • We can trust ourselves to actually put a kicker on the field to get us points.

Granted, there are still a ton of things we can improve on: red zone offense, forcing more turnovers, getting more pressure on the QB to name a few. But to say we haven't improved at all is such a terrible take.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
1633741800070.png

Fine you wanna go that route? Sure I'll play ball.

Yes 2 wins and 3 losses is a "sign of improvement." We aren't even halfway through the season and we have almost matched our win total for each of the past 2 seasons.

Turnovers:
We were 125th last year in turnovers given up last year with 25 (in 10 games). Almost halfway through the year (5 games), we've given up 5.
We forced 18 turnovers last year (10 games), we are currently at 8 turnovers. We are 1 turnover behind where we were last year. Not that much different.

Offense:

Defense:
2020: currently giving up 459 y/game with 5.86 y/play
2021: currently 361.0 y/game with 5.31 (yards per play).

Penalties:
2020: 89 penalties through 10 games (8.9 per game)
2021: 27 penalties through 5 games (5.4 per game)

Kicking:
Don't have stats on this but anything is better than what last years was. Brent can actually kick a field goal and Gavin Stewart has kicked it out of the endzone on kickoffs more times than I can count

So what does this tell us:

• Our offense might not have improved in moving the ball as much as we like, but we are not hurting ourselves nearly as much as last year.
  • While creating almost the same amount of turnovers, our defense is doing a lot more to limit how much the opposing team moves the ball
  • Our penalties were 125th/127 last year in bad. We are now 37th. We are not hurting ourselves as much as last year.
  • We can trust ourselves to actually put a kicker on the field to get us points.

Granted, there are still a ton of things we can improve on: red zone offense, forcing more turnovers, getting more pressure on the QB to name a few. But to say we haven't improved at all is such a terrible take.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer

Fwiw I think we have improved. But let me play devils advocate for a minute.
  • Our QB turned the ball over twice in the first four plays of last week’s game. Same guy that turned the ball over once in something like twelve snaps in game one. As such I’m not quite ready to say we are past shooting ourselves in the foot on offense if he is going to be the starting QB. He’s still very inconsistent and needs to get past this.
  • The defense has admittedly looked like a bright spot at times. But they basically negated a game winning drive against NIU and looked non existent against Pitt. Kennesaw is FCS and Clemson looks to be really bad on offense. So we are left with what appears to be one impressive performance. Let’s not crown them just yet. I’d like to see more of what we saw against UNC.
  • Penalties are better. There were a couple times against Clemson things looked dicey, but not much to complain about here
  • Yes, we now have an adequate field goal unit - but we beat NIU with a field goal.
My problem is this…are we really going to judge improvement by being able to not jump offsides and being able to make a 30 yd field goal? Those types of things should be a given and should not be fluid between coaching staffs. We need to start scoring in the red zone on offense and forcing punts on defense. We had a flash, but one game is not a pattern. We need to develop a pattern.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Only includes FBS vs FBS

GT Offense 2021: 1.91 (82)
GT Defense 2021: 2.33 (78)

GT Offense 2020: 1.86 (96)
GT Defense 2020: 2.75 (93)

For points per play
GT Offense 2021: 0.331 (84)
GT Defense 2021: 0.385 (72)

GT Offense 2020: 0.335 (94)
GT Defense 2020: 0.457 (87)

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
Offense:
I personally think counting y/game is worthless since total number of drives affects the stat so heavily (yards per play is a much stronger indicator which you did include).

I really like "available yard metrics"
It calculates the total percentage of yardage you gain per drive. So if you start at the 50 and make it to the 25, that drive scores a 50%. Available yards won't scale with number of drives the way total yards will.

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
are we really going to judge improvement by being able to not jump offsides and being able to make a 30 yd field goal?
I mean, we've spent the last two seasons jumping offsides and missing 30 yard field goals. So...yeah. Not doing that is by definition an improvement.

I understand this team is not where a lot of fans want us to be. But the counter argument is that were one 2-pt conversion away from beating NIU, and one or two plays from being the ones to ruin Clemson's streak. We got beat by a Pitt team that by all accounts is pretty dang good.

2-3 IS an improvement so far. Bowl eligibility is still on the table, however unlikely. I don't like lowering our bar, but this team is light years ahead of last year, and the year before that. If we continue to get better each season, that's a good thing.

Sarrick

Ramblin' Wreck
I personally think counting y/game is worthless since total number of drives affects the stat so heavily (yards per play is a much stronger indicator which you did include).

I really like "available yard metrics"
It calculates the total percentage of yardage you gain per drive. So if you start at the 50 and make it to the 25, that drive scores a 50%. Available yards won't scale with number of drives the way total yards will.

I completely agree. I love the stats that you gave.