Tech enrollment

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer
Tech should absolutely add more people but the biggest barrier to that is on campus housing. With how expensive real estate is, and with tech already buying as much local land as possible, its really expanding vertically or nothing at all. Once you get large enough there, other building should have to expand.
With going "up", you'd obviously lose existing spots, so it would have to be short term losses for long term gains.
I used to think that but seeing all of the student housing that has been built in midtown I dont think that is much of an issue anymore

Jophish17

Jolly Good Fellow
GT is absolutely leaving high quality Georgia state kids behind. The admission process is really just a random process anymore hidden behind phrases such as “holistic” etc. It’s the same at UGA. I had a family member get accepted early to GT and waitlisted at UGA and another who had a better SAT score get regular admission at GT. It didn’t make sense. Even the kids know it. As one of them said the best process was at Bama. Send in your GPA, ACT, and SAT along with a brief description of extra curriculars and bam that’s it. It’s actually based on merit and direct comparisons instead of unmeasurables.
If GT made admission solely based on test scores and GPA we’d have 100% Korean and Chinese classes. It’s still much harder to be admitted from OOS than GA.

Think to when you hire people. Maybe your experience has been different but 75% of people that I interview could probably do the job in a pure technical sense. But I only have so many headcount so I end up looking for skills/backgrounds that compliment the current team and use soft skills to further narrow choices or make decisions.

MWT89

Jolly Good Fellow
Tech enrollment is up 10% from fall 2020. Most of the increase is grad students, but I couldn't fine the online v. on-campus numbers. Also, the report uses freshman, sophomore, etc. rather than first year, second year as did the 2020 data that I found. The report indicates there were 2,738 beginning freshman.

The report can be found here: University System of GA report

PS: UGA has slightly more than 30,000 undergrads.

Tech enrollment 2021.jpg

robinettegaston

Georgia Tech Fan
Georgia Tech has a number of major transfer programs for admission.
https://admission.gatech.edu/transfer/transfer-pathway-programs
If you’ve been around the board for a while, a lot of alums have been frustrated that their children, with better grades and transcripts than they had, weren’t admitted directly from high school. The conditional transfer pathway program gives them a year to have a 3.3 GPA in approved coursework and be admitted. There are similar programs from other Georgia universities for transfer into Tech.
Myself, my husband and my dad are all GT graduates. I live in Tennessee and have a high school senior who is applying from a very rigorous all boys school in Nashville. He's a B student but that would translate quite differently at other public high schools. Presumably he has zero chance of acceptance to GT in the fall so we're fine pursuing the conditional pathway for legacies. My questions is are any legacies turned away from the CP program based on grades? I emailed the Admissions office and this was the response.

Hello Robinette,

Typically, all qualified legacy students have received a Conditional Pathway if they are not accepted to Georgia Tech on their initial first-year application.

They will receive their pathway offer when the final decision on their first-year application is made. This is regardless of when they initially applied whether it be Early Action or Regular Decision.

What is a "qualified legacy"? If he applies on November 1, when might I get a response? Some Reddit threads say as late as May? Thank you for any information!

Jim Prather

Helluva Engineer
My nephew just got in using the conditional pathway. Here is the key... Talk to admissions about it. There are some very specific classes you must take that first year and you must maintain a specific GPA ( I think it was a 3.3, but don't quote me on that). If you meet those requirements, you are guaranteed entry. I expect your son will be rejected, but his rejection material should contain some information regarding the conditional pathway.

slugboy

Staff member
Myself, my husband and my dad are all GT graduates. I live in Tennessee and have a high school senior who is applying from a very rigorous all boys school in Nashville. He's a B student but that would translate quite differently at other public high schools. Presumably he has zero chance of acceptance to GT in the fall so we're fine pursuing the conditional pathway for legacies. My questions is are any legacies turned away from the CP program based on grades? I emailed the Admissions office and this was the response.

Hello Robinette,

Typically, all qualified legacy students have received a Conditional Pathway if they are not accepted to Georgia Tech on their initial first-year application.

They will receive their pathway offer when the final decision on their first-year application is made. This is regardless of when they initially applied whether it be Early Action or Regular Decision.

What is a "qualified legacy"? If he applies on November 1, when might I get a response? Some Reddit threads say as late as May? Thank you for any information!
It’s a parent or grandparent or sibling that attended. Then they need a 3.3 or better from an accredited school plus meet the requirements. For example, they could do their first year at UT and transfer if they have a 3.3 or better and have the right courses