Team is getting SWOLE

alagold

Helluva Engineer
I'm a Tech fan but Carpenter is no where near the talent of Simmons. I hope he has a breakout season but he would have to progress to a whole different level to be in the same league as Isaiah Simmons.

Go Jackets!

yep, he is a decent player at at thispoint but not a All-conf difference maker. Hope that happens but I watched a bunch of games and he is not in the tier with Simmons.I'm not sure I like him as a 240 lb SAFETY.Not many in nfl, why here? Look like LB to me.

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
yep, he is a decent player at at thispoint but not a All-conf difference maker. Hope that happens but I watched a bunch of games and he is not in the tier with Simmons.I'm not sure I like him as a 240 lb SAFETY.Not many in nfl, why here? Look like LB to me.

I think "decent" is underselling him by a good margin.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I think when you win 3 teams its hard for guys to show talent outside of WRs, and special teams.
When you are playing from behind every game you'll struggle across the board.

Put Simmons on last years GT team and I'd be willing to bet he's not a 1st round pick.

Deleted member 2897

I'm a Tech fan but Carpenter is no where near the talent of Simmons. I hope he has a breakout season but he would have to progress to a whole different level to be in the same league as Isaiah Simmons.

Go Jackets!

That wasn’t the contention in the persons post or by me who made that analogy. I used Simmons’ measurables to back up his contention that Carpenter could go in the first 2 rounds. Nobody said Carpenter should go #8 in the draft like Simmons. We guessed top 64.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Second round means he is one of the best 64 college football players in America. That is pretty rare air. I hope you are right.

Go Jackets!

Picking nits here but being drafted in the second round doesn't make you one of the best 64 college football players (see Joe Hamilton as a classic example). It means you have the projected measurables and some film that cause folks to believe that you are one of the top 64 most likely to be succesful at the next level.

Deleted member 2897

Picking nits here but being drafted in the second round doesn't make you one of the best 64 college football players (see Joe Hamilton as a classic example). It means you have the projected measurables and some film that cause folks to believe that you are one of the top 64 most likely to be succesful at the next level.

Yep, exactly. Simmons was a great example. His stats were not even close to a top 8 pick. But his stats were more due to the fact he played all over the field. His measurables showed what he could do in the NFL.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Thacker said they are going to move TC around a lot. He's mainly at saftey, but said they have no problem moving him closer to the LOS to play a de facto LB. He'll play very similar to what Clemson did with Simmons.

Simmons is a once in a generation type defender, and he's probably the apex modern day defender in that you can play him pretty much anywhere outside of the trenches. The guy has size, speed, and agility to do pretty much anything. If you built a defender to play against modern day offenses, Simmons would be prototype. TC is a good player, but he's not as physically gifted as Simmons.

IMO, Tariq would be an All American LB, and coach said he'd play there some. Will be interesting to see how TC develops knowing we have a 4 star transfer at safety in Allen who's gotten a lot of praise. It's not like the past two years where we needed TC to play DB...we are talented enough to move TC around and not lose talentwise at DB.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Thacker said they are going to move TC around a lot. He's mainly at saftey, but said they have no problem moving him closer to the LOS to play a de facto LB. He'll play very similar to what Clemson did with Simmons.

Simmons is a once in a generation type defender, and he's probably the apex modern day defender in that you can play him pretty much anywhere outside of the trenches. The guy has size, speed, and agility to do pretty much anything. If you built a defender to play against modern day offenses, Simmons would be prototype. TC is a good player, but he's not as physically gifted as Simmons.

IMO, Tariq would be an All American LB, and coach said he'd play there some. Will be interesting to see how TC develops knowing we have a 4 star transfer at safety in Allen who's gotten a lot of praise. It's not like the past two years where we needed TC to play DB...we are talented enough to move TC around and not lose talentwise at DB.

If he is better than Charlie Thomeas for the Rover position then good for us. -because Charlie brings it on tackling which we are weak in doing well.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Riq at 240. Official. Posted on his Instagram.
Screenshot_20200904-005131_Instagram.jpg