Team is getting SWOLE

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Look at the size of Charlie Thomas. šŸ‘€

People that keep saying this need to search their own heart. Where is all this racism? These athletes are loved and adored. Fans spend a lot of money to show up and cheer for them, and itā€™s mostly white men cheering on black men. Little white kids idolize these guys and clamor for their autograph. Yet Lebron James and others claim itā€™s dangerous just to walk down the street for them. Itā€™s ludicrous.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
People that keep saying this need to search their own heart. Where is all this racism? These athletes are loved and adored. Fans spend a lot of money to show up and cheer for them, and itā€™s mostly white men cheering on black men. Little white kids idolize these guys and clamor for their autograph. Yet Lebron James and others claim itā€™s dangerous just to walk down the street for them. Itā€™s ludicrous.

These young men have family, friends, and life outside of football. Their experiences stretch well beyond what happens on Saturday. They are not immune nor fully sheltered.

Deleted member 2897

Where is all this racism?

Why donā€™t you ask them? Not being rude, but seriously - talk to someone and listen. Yes thereā€™s a lot of hyperbole and overreacting too (like the riots in Minneapolis yesterday because a *murderer* *shot himself* and there were rumors cops shots him), but there is also a reality.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
Why donā€™t you ask them? Not being rude, but seriously - talk to someone and listen. Yes thereā€™s a lot of hyperbole and overreacting too (like the riots in Minneapolis yesterday because a *murderer* *shot himself* and there were rumors cops shots him), but there is also a reality.

Iā€™m the last person you need to tell to ā€œtalk to someone and listenā€. Do it every day of my life. I live closer to this than 99% of you on here. This narrative is false and destructive, and it needs to stop.

slugboy

Staff member
Ok, this looks good. The only question I have is whether the training is for football or to put on muscle. The two are not the same.

I assume that our SC guys are doing this correctly. In which case, good news. I'm all for bigger, stronger guys now that we have gone to push and dance blocking. (Holding, iow.) The players worked hard under Paul too, but the premium there was for flexibility and speed.

Oh, and the new look sucks.
I didn't load the new site, but I'll give one reason to like it. Just click on "What's new", and you can see the entire list of everything in a single thread. You don't need the drop down--it even works on a tablet.
We have a new site thread--if there's something that we lost that isn't getting better, let us know.
https://gtswarm.com/threads/swarm-makeover.21856 is the thread for UX feedback.
Annotation 2020-08-28 101553.png

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
Iā€™m the last person you need to tell to ā€œtalk to someone and listenā€. Do it every day of my life. I live closer to this than 99% of you on here. This narrative is false and destructive, and it needs to stop.

ummmmmmm. Are you listening?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Can we move on?
Unless you are every young black man (they have different experiences) then id suggest to remain silent on the issue.

I grew up in Woodstock, GA. My best friends are African American. I grew up with parts of my family being uncomfortable with them staying the night at my parents house. I grew up with our other (white) friends being suspicious of us staying over at our African American friends house EVEN THOUGH THEY LIVED IN AN UPPER MIDDLE CLASS NEIGHBORHOOD. This was not a fear based on monetary or cultural issues. It was based solely on the color of their skin. I have disconnected from family members, and people I grew up with due to their complete lack of decency.

I will also add after high school I dated an African American woman off and on for 2 years. My mother was uncomfortable with it because she was raised by a man who was a member of the KKK in his youth. My grandfather. She was taught "races do not mix". This was tried to be passed down to me, a millennial. There is very much a large portion of this country that views people via a biased based on skin tone rather than their character. My mother eventually became okay with the relationship, but never was truly happy with it. Luckily for me, I think for myself.

Here is a fun fact:
Little did the world know my grandfather ended up being accepting of my African American friends and buying them birthday gifts. Always inviting them to go fishing and hunting. I think he realized he had more in common with them than he does with me, his own grandson. I like to fish, but its not a hobby of mine. I don't like to hunt. I am not your typical "southern guy". I am more of your athletic nerd kind of guy. Typical suburbs kid. He found a similar interests and developed a relationship with them. It was amazing to see knowing his past, and knowing how cruel he was in his younger days. His cruelty towards animals/people of color came from 1. Ignorance, and 2. Lack of a personal reason to take interest to learn a new way of life and perspective.

Do I think violence will solve issues? No.
I do believe empathy, and checking people on their racism is key. Not in a hostile way, but in a true concerned question manner. I've learned you have to "baby" people. You have to make sure they are not being ridiculed, or harshly questioned. You have to manipulate them to get an understanding. Simply because people build up so many walls and always want to be right.

Anyways I digress.

The point is if a young man says he feels unsafe, then that is fact. You don't need stats to back it.

I've lived it. I've been pulled over while speeding with 5 people in the car. 2 licenses were requested from the officer. Mine and my friend who is African American. No one else was asked for their license. He was in the backseat as well...

When asked why his license was needed, I was told to "remain calm". This was asked in a calm demeanor. Once the officer walked away and came back to give us our licenses back he only returned mine. I asked what about my friends? He said, "his is going to take a while". He has ZERO issues with the law ever. Never been pulled over where I had several tickets by that point. 10 minutes passes, and he comes back and responds "Couldn't find anything on him".
Again, why was he even asked to supply a license? This was 11am after breakfast on a sunny day.

To say things are not screwed is a false narrative. Simply because 1 incident is far too many. That cop should of lost his job over something like that.
Luckily I went to court, fought the ticket. Won, and let him know of my opinion before leaving the court house, while also letting the Cobb County judge of my experience.

Now that I've shared 1/10th of my bad experiences with racism, there are a ton more.

Lets get back to the SWOLE.

These young men have and deserve our respect, support, and prayers.

Go Jackets.