Film Room Tax 20 Offense Slow Motion Video

gtwcf

Ramblin' Wreck
Love the takedown by Butcher Knives Braun.

Looks like a called handoff. Looks like the other two options would have been pretty open depending on how fast the MLB and S diagnosed the play.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Brad attempted one....
So much to like.
My favorite formation called by coach= strong line right.
Perfect ol play
Rt blocks down shifted tackle blocks ahead and rg pulls right to kick out.
Perfect backfield play
Qb and bb mesh and bb makes a move while accelerating off will bryan . Will is a beast.
. Imo he would have been caught short if he went outside. He choose inside an d followed block of shifted tackle. When they hit tacklers they double pancake d them.

I bet the kentucky dc muttered something like WT....! What if they run a screen w the two quick tackles , the wr, and ab... blocking down field ,,,myg guys would be lost in space. WT,,,!

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I think they had the outside move pretty well covered too.

I agree. The safeties at 8/9 yard line are clearly watching the potential ball carriers. They don't come up for the tackle until Mills commits to a running lane and it's obvious the QB and AB are faking it. Unfortunately for them Mills doesn't have to commit until he's at the LOS and then they're 6+ yards away and still have maneuver around a minefield of offensive blockers and the remnants of their defensive line.

I suspect that Mills was reading the block of the DE and since the DE was blocked towards the sideline, that is why Mills ran inside at the LOS.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
Look at def #41 & #51. They are completely shut out of the play by the push of the OL. All lateral movement by the close in defenders was cutoff. The only defenders who can move laterally are the two guys at the at the 8/9 yard line and even they are a bit affected by the mess that is happening in the center.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Imo, the play was always to inside of will. Will made the hole so large he could have accelerated right off his block a nd angled to the sideline.
As a thought experiment- what if the strong line is to wide side and the fast bb is in for mills. He hits this hole and breaks off will to sideline and has lots of space to make tackler miss.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is a trap dive play all the way.

Brad did what he had to do. Line cut blocking is hard to cut when your that tall, weight disadvantage without acceleration/velocity (F=MA), and the DL had to go straight down the line versus hitting the QB from the backside (forward movement to the QB would have resulted in a cut).

Mills could have tried outside, but I think the two safeties would have got him. The outside was not "wide" open.

This is a trap dive play all the way.

Brad did what he had to do. Line cut blocking is hard to cut when your that tall, weight disadvantage without acceleration/velocity (F=MA), and the DL had to go straight down the line versus hitting the QB from the backside (forward movement to the QB would have resulted in a cut).

Mills could have tried outside, but I think the two safeties would have got him. The outside was not "wide" open.

Agree. Down and distance, the objective was to move the chains, or at least create third and short. Kentucky was playing the "assignment football" ploy and CPJ was playing chess. This was well executed smashmouth football in the red zone. Opposing DC's have one more thing to worry about: Tech CAN AND WILL just line up and hit you.

zhavenor

Jolly Good Fellow
The simple jump stop to allow the OL to clear to make the block was a thing of beauty. As @Techster pointed out, this could've been a TD, if Mills make his way to the outside, instead burrowing his way to the marker. Not sure he didn't trust his speed or saw the defenders had a great angle on him. Hopefully, VR provides that better vision

I not a fan of having our WRs there as a TE, but I'm 99% there is throwback pass/screen off of this formation
I have also seen a fly pattern from that position as well. I don't know if it was off of a half roll or a play action though.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Great Oline and Bback on this play. But what a great block thrown by the playside Aback. Not sure who that is, but he knocked #34 on his arse with a little help from Mills.
That's what jumped out to me. That's a F of a block, I think from Willis.

This play also demonstrates what I like about Mills. Yeah, maybe outside was there, but GUARANTEED yards were inside. Give me a B-Back who goes for the guaranteed yards. The offense gets you guaranteed yards, if you're just willing to take them. Nothing frustrates me more than a guy who gives up 6 to try to get 20, and ends up getting 2.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Some teams have tried the yard back to help defeat cut blocks. The good is you are far enough away to defeat cut blocks. The bad is you are father from making the play. I normally like it when I see the DL farther from the LOS.

As a D.C. I would rather hit faster than let the OL slow me down. The great thing about under center snaps is how fast GT ball carrier hits the line.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
Some teams have tried the yard back to help defeat cut blocks. The good is you are far enough away to defeat cut blocks. The bad is you are father from making the play. I normally like it when I see the DL farther from the LOS.

As a D.C. I would rather hit faster than let the OL slow me down. The great thing about under center snaps is how fast GT ball carrier hits the line.
Groh used to do it all the time at UVA against Johnson, and had some success. It's good if you have small, quick DL's with great balance and hands. For bigger, pile makers, it just gives up a yard of real estate.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Imo, the play was always to inside of will. Will made the hole so large he could have accelerated right off his block a nd angled to the sideline.
As a thought experiment- what if the strong line is to wide side and the fast bb is in for mills. He hits this hole and breaks off will to sideline and has lots of space to make tackler miss.
I dunno. Mills was so close to Will already he had to put a hand on his back to keep from running into him. If he tries to angle to the sideline there he likely gets tangled up in his legs.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Agreed, The pulling guard is going to kick out so Mills is going to cut back inside his block. And looks like the DB is moving inside out behind the LB. Think it the best decision to get the first down getting near the goal line.