Target on Mills opens up the field

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
The first priority in stopping our offense has always been and will always be stopping the dive (or any run between the tackles). Only now it will be much tougher.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
One skill that all qb's need to perfect is the mesh pull. JT was a master at it as was Tevin before him. It was pretty lousy in the spring game.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Opposing coaches are going to scheme us as they see necessary based on their evaluation of our previous body of work and anticipation of how we will attack as an offense. Our opposition is better at evaluating our players and their tendencies than any publication. I don't think anything published is going to increase or decrease how our opponents play the dive.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't see Mills changing how the defense plays unless the DE can't tackle Mills. We will have more follows/dives because that suits MJ better, but I don't think there is going to be a big shift in how DCs choose to defend us.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
We could do more options/counters with Mills being the pitch man and perhaps return of the BB draw. Those I think are key ways to get chunk yards from the BB and loosen things up for the passing game, rocket toss, etc. MJ runs well on the midline and follows, and he gets a few extra yards with a head of steam, but he's not slippery and doesn't cut to the outside. Mills is a power guy but we need his RB skills in space too.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
Opposing coaches are going to scheme us as they see necessary based on their evaluation of our previous body of work and anticipation of how we will attack as an offense. Our opposition is better at evaluating our players and their tendencies than any publication. I don't think anything published is going to increase or decrease how our opponents play the dive.

I'm drinking the hell out of Longestday's Koolaide! I do agree coaches that don't read publications to decide how to defend GT, but when thet review film from last season they are going to see that the strength of our QB is tough running up the middle, and that Mills is a force to be reckoned with, those two are going to get 3+ yards up the gut virtually at will if the OL continues Playing like late last season. 3 yards per pop up the middle kills and means changing up how they defend us compared to when JT was at QB.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I posted this in the offseason thread, but I suppose it applies here:

There's really no surprises about this offenses and CPJ's calculus on countering the defense. Defense wants to key on the dive? See above.

DBs bail early on the counter motion to help in run support (first play)?

LBs and safety flowing to tail motion before the snap?

If you listen to CPJ talk about plays, his point is how would a defense play it, and how would you counter their counter? By now we know every play has multiple variations, and CPJ has myriad of options (pun intended) in attacking how defenses would play each variation. If you ever participate in the in game chats on here, most people on here can pretty much call what's going to eventually happen because of how the defense plays us. There are no secrets anymore...you just have to execute on both sides of the ball.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Clarification: the hype is for a good reason. The hype has a good amount of film to back it up.

If they don't need help to stop the middle, future coaches will follow suit. JT was targeted in 2015 due to his film (with resulting deserved hype). I am not saying coaches bite their finger nails and change their system/plans based on magazines and articles on players.... but if reality matches the hype, coaches will be planning to stop good players.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
I honestly don't see Mills changing how the defense plays unless the DE can't tackle Mills. We will have more follows/dives because that suits MJ better, but I don't think there is going to be a big shift in how DCs choose to defend us.

Mill's threat (because he is such a load to tackle) should help the QB with his first read. If the DE has Mills he will have to not ***** foot around when Mills comes his way , and this should help the QB make that first read.

dmurdock

Jolly Good Fellow
That David Hale post about positive yardage plays was something I noticed last year that reminded me of Laskey. Laskey always had the knack of finding whatever crease was there and hitting it quickly to hardly ever get stopped for loss of yardage. Mills seems to have that as well, but with more power.