Target on Mills opens up the field

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All the pre season hype will paint a bulls eye on Mills. That means extra focus on stopping the dive or following his motion.

Mills will/may cause scraping of the MLB to stop the dive. This will be beneficial to the 3TO. The MLB scraping down helps the OT get his block easier and opens up the edge.

The triple option will most likely have Mills covered. If the MLB has to scrap down to help stop Mills, then the MLB normally is in position to cover the QB versus running to the edge to stop the ABack. But, as I stated scraping MLBs are easier to block. Either the QB or AB will be open.

The guards versus the defensive tackles is the place to watch for how we will fare against Clemson and Miami. If the guards can handle the DTs then the MLB must help plug the middle. If the MLB helps the middle, the edge opens up.

Parker Braun and Will Bryan will be key players in 2017. They will be a major part of determining how well the O can perform against Clemson and Miami.

MJ gives us the midline. The midline can also neutralize lord of the ring defensive tackles by optioning them off. Successful midlines will also slow the MLB to the outside. The MLB will need scrape down if the midline is making yards. That is the time we run the 3TO or any outside run play.

Mills, MJ, Parker, and Will could make for a very interesting, very explosive offense! If the middle gets 4 yards a pop... the outside will be TDs.... outside TDs will give way to inside TDs. Hope springs eternal every fall!

2017 is all about smashing the middle, forcing reinforcements inside, and blasting the edge.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I have a "hunch" CPJ has seen every defense try to scheme against the B-Back going all the way back to Adrian Peterson at GSU. He had huge numbers and the best way to stop the triple option is to overmatch it with a top notch defense. Much like Iowa in the 2009 OB who had I believe 9 future NFL players on their defense. While GT had a very undersized offensive line at the time.

Any coach will tell you the best way to defeat the triple option is to make it pass the football on third and long. Oh wait! That's the formula to defeat ANY offense!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think we'll see the rebirth of the rocket toss. CL will be the second coming of Orwin Smith. MLB's won't be able to get a running start to the edge like they've done the last few years. If they do we'll gut 'em up the middle.

Milwaukee

Banned
Mills will be targeted because of the preseason hype from the mags that don't mean anything and nobody pays attention to.

We're talking out of both sides of our mouths here lately.

We have threads dedicated and celebrating Preseason Accolades because of the publications, but then 90% of the board complains that said publications are dumb because they don't mention any of our other players.

We're acknowledgeing them when they favor us and dismissing them when they don't. It's quite amusing.

This isn't directed at you Longest, just an amusing observation I've seen lately. It is the offseason so its expected. Devil's advocate.

Last edited:

DC Bee

Ramblin' Wreck
We're talking out of both sides of our mouths here lately. We have threads dedicated and celebrating Preseason Accolades because of the publications, but then 90% of the board complains that said publications are dumb because they don't mention any of our other players. We're acknowledging them when they favor us and dismissing them when they don't. It's quite funny.

For a guy with a lot of posts, you talk like you've never been around GT folks before. :p

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Logic Reminder:
Saying that someone gets a lot of things wrong does not mean they get nothing right.

Smh

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
Mills will be targeted because of the preseason hype from the mags that don't mean anything and nobody pays attention to.

We're talking out of both sides of our mouths here lately.

We have threads dedicated and celebrating Preseason Accolades because of the publications, but then 90% of the board complains that said publications are dumb because they don't mention any of our other players.

We're acknowledgeing them when they favor us and dismissing them when they don't. It's quite amusing.

I think it is fine to show support for the GT players who get recognition. That recognition however does not mean anything on the field. I disagree with the statement that the preseason hype will put a bulls eye on Mills. If it does, I will be very happy. If our opponents let the media and the fan boards do their scouting for them and ignore actual film study, the GT offense will put up very good numbers.

I do complain about sports media in general, because for the most part it is stupid. Hype is more important that what happens on the field. I don't see any conflict in being happy for GT players who receive recognition, but believing that such recognition will have absolutely no impact on the football teams record this year.

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
All the pre season hype will paint a bulls eye on Mills. That means extra focus on stopping the dive or following his motion.

2017 is all about smashing the middle, forcing reinforcements inside, and blasting the edge.
So what you're saying is 2017 is just like every other year? Teams will focus on stopping the dive because if they don't we will drag them up and down the field. Preseason hype means nothing in how they will play us.