Talent level and where we place

3Bees

Georgia Tech Fan
Saw on UGA roster Jake Skole. If memory serves he was coming to Tech a few years back but played baseball instead.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
Actually, the talent has never been higher. We have 9 guys on defense rated 4-star by at least one service.

The talent on the D side of the ball is not higher than ever before. But, if you are right, then the coaches are doing very poorly. It is obvious that our LB's are smaller and slower than most of our competition. We have DE's at 240, when many schools have NO DL's below 260 or 270.

Deleted member 2897

The talent on the D side of the ball is not higher than ever before. But, if you are right, then the coaches are doing very poorly. It is obvious that our LB's are smaller and slower than most of our competition. We have DE's at 240, when many schools have NO DL's below 260 or 270.

I think 8 of the 9 are underclassmen. I think about half are Freshmen and half aren’t playing yet.

Deleted member 2897

Again, if they are not faster or bigger than our current LB's (and DE's), then we will continue to not be able to stop good to great offenses.

I was responding to the comment: “But, I believe on the D side of the ball, the talent level has NEVER been this low, especially at LB.”

I was assuming you were referring to things like recruiting rankings. I’m not trying to argue about if we’re playing poorly or not - just that we have the most talent on defense on paper that I ever remember seeing. I mean we have 3 LBs rated 4-stars. The talent is there. We need the development and experience IMHO.

AlabamaBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I was responding to the comment: “But, I believe on the D side of the ball, the talent level has NEVER been this low, especially at LB.”

I was assuming you were referring to things like recruiting rankings. I’m not trying to argue about if we’re playing poorly or not - just that we have the most talent on defense on paper that I ever remember seeing. I mean we have 3 LBs rated 4-stars. The talent is there. We need the development and experience IMHO.

IMHO, the 3 star category is HUGE, and when I watch the DL and LB's that we recruit, almost NONE of them are 4 stars. It appears to me that the 3 stars we are getting are small and slow, comparatively to other teams. I realize there is development, but you can only do so much with a 5'9" frame, for example.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
We have good talent but clearly not great. Been this way for 50 years so not a critique on Johnson. Looking at top 25 I think we could beat or if things went our way early in the season be a team in top 15-25. I am not confident we could win from 14 down. Not bad overall but big difference in talent levels in top 14 and bigger problem playing a top 5 team.

To be honest, I am paraphrasing an opposing ACC coach here, our talent is towards the bottom of the ACC. I happen to agree with this assessment. If you are not paying players or have curriculum restrictions or both this is what you get. Recruiting rankings in the 40s or 50s with little hope of competing with the elite programs. IIWII

Deleted member 2897

To be honest, I am paraphrasing an opposing ACC coach here, our talent is towards the bottom of the ACC. I happen to agree with this assessment. If you are not paying players or have curriculum restrictions or both this is what you get. Recruiting rankings in the 40s or 50s with little hope of competing with the elite programs. IIWII

Not according to the data.

GSOJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Someone made the following comment earlier (an effect of the growing importance of social media): "Has anyone noticed that the best players are starting to go together to just a few schools? That leaves very little for the other schools - the talent is not spread out like it used to be."
I think I agree with this. Less chance of a dark horse non-factory program rising to the top.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
We’re 11th in the acc in recruiting right now !! For 2019, if y’all are happy with that then the GT people got you right where they want you

GT_05

Helluva Engineer
We’re 11th in the acc in recruiting right now !! For 2019, if y’all are happy with that then the GT people got you right where they want you

9b203c1e7ab6b9fb06d167b052915006.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk