Taisun Phommachanh question

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
Turnover prone is push with Gibson.

Does he sit in a collapsing pocket take a sack over and over? If he does not, that could be an upgrade.

travgt01

Ramblin' Wreck
Ronald Curry was a multi sport athlete at UNC. Played QB in football and basketball at UNC. Tore his Achilles heel and was never the same after rehab. I think he missed an entire year. He was one of those can't miss athletes until that injury. It's a tough one to come back 100%.
Pretty sure he tore it against us at home. I wanna say Eric Henderson did the deed.

DvilleJacket

Helluva Engineer
Bilbo was a QB near the beginning of Gailey’s coaching tenure, while Reggie Ball was towards the end. Bilbo fought for playing time vs AJ Suggs
Remember Bilbo being brought in during a bowl game against Fresno State. We were getting beat pretty good but he looked pretty good from what I remember.

JacketFan137

Banned
Ronald Curry was a multi sport athlete at UNC. Played QB in football and basketball at UNC. Tore his Achilles heel and was never the same after rehab. I think he missed an entire year. He was one of those can't miss athletes until that injury. It's a tough one to come back 100%.
it was really the beginning of the end for kobe and dominique as well. the success rate post achilles tear is very low

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
How this kid is worse than Gibson I do not understand.
He's not worse than Gibson. His injury has not allowed him to return to form. Gibson has had a few years in a program with significant playing time under his belt. A combination of these two put plus red Zach being a true frosh, put gibson first off the bench.

BTW, I'm going out on a limb and say Gibson may show us alot more this saturday than in his other games. I know that's not a high bar but the VA game was just too big of a stage particularly with that awful OL he had protecting him. Last week he showed signs of being able pass effectively in spite of his two INT's. If the OL has improved as some here have observed then maybe he won't look vastly improved.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
He's not worse than Gibson. His injury has not allowed him to return to form. Gibson has had a few years in a program with significant playing time under his belt. A combination of these two put plus red Zach being a true frosh, put gibson first off the bench.

BTW, I'm going out on a limb and say Gibson may show us alot more this saturday than in his other games. I know that's not a high bar but the VA game was just too big of a stage particularly with that awful OL he had protecting him. Last week he showed signs of being able pass effectively in spite of his two INT's. If the OL has improved as some here have observed then maybe he won't look vastly improved.
If Gibson is going to be successful he can’t sit in the pocket for 7-10 seconds each time and expect not to get sacked. Some is on the OL but a lot is on him too.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
What I had heard when he transferred in was that he was seen as a 'developmental' QB, not really ready to play. Someone more likely to hold a clipboard and add another body to the QB room than someone that was expected to be able to play.
Now the Collins staff has a reputation among other coaching staffs as being a poor evaluation staff and in some ways more interested in 'stars' than ability.

I expect he will play the last 2 weeks in some capacity, but I am not expecting huge returns. UNC would be his best bet as UNC's defense for years has had issues with mobile, running QB's (think about what Sims did to them last season).
This is exactly what I’ve heard. Good post.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It seems like he suffered that injury playing against Tech.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

Interestingly, Curry went on to a 7 year career in the NFL as a WR. He's currently an NFL QB coach for the NO Saints.

Another one of those guys that was ahead of his time. He'd kill it today with offenses more suited for his dual threat skillset.

Deleted member 6494

What I had heard when he transferred in was that he was seen as a 'developmental' QB, not really ready to play. Someone more likely to hold a clipboard and add another body to the QB room than someone that was expected to be able to play.
Now the Collins staff has a reputation among other coaching staffs as being a poor evaluation staff and in some ways more interested in 'stars' than ability.

I expect he will play the last 2 weeks in some capacity, but I am not expecting huge returns. UNC would be his best bet as UNC's defense for years has had issues with mobile, running QB's (think about what Sims did to them last season).
Two more weeks without playing and then the winter months for more recovery. If we get the right Head Coach, he may be able to use him. An innovative coach might not use all QBs in the same package but adapt their plays to their abilities even if it is a physical problem.

His best bet is to wait until a new coach is chosen and see if that is beneficial to his abilities and career.

cpf2001

Ramblin' Wreck
Remember Bilbo being brought in during a bowl game against Fresno State. We were getting beat pretty good but he looked pretty good from what I remember.
Bilbo got some play in the infamous 2004 UGA game. Started out down 16-0 and Gailey pulled Ball. He struggled even more, Ball came back in, they came back some, but then there was that 4th down…

Sorta like the 2007 season, made ya go “oh that’s why Ball was the starter.”

Gailey could never find anyone to be an upgrade.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer

1. Ya think?

2. I think most any return at all would be better then Gibson for an entire game. Now watch: Gibson'll beat UNC single handed. There's a reason I'm a fan.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Bilbo was a QB near the beginning of Gailey’s coaching tenure, while Reggie Ball was towards the end. Bilbo fought for playing time vs AJ Suggs
Not entirely accurate unless you’re saying WHEN Bilbo took snaps at QB. Bilbo was at Tech from 2001-2005 (redshirt in 01). Reggie was 2003-2006. Their careers very much overlapped, but Bilbo played receiver in the latter part of his career. What the OP was getting at is that Chan decided Bilbo wasn’t a QB.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Nobody's saying he's injured. I'm chalking it up to bad decision making like we saw when we put Gibson in over our favorite ginger. It's not like our staff has a great track record here
A lot to this statement. It’s funny how once Collins left all the hate went towards some of the players rather than the rest of the staff.