Taisun Phommachanh question

Chas_Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
So what is the deal with Taisun. The video is mainly spring game stuff but he looks like he has all the attributes to be strong qb contender yet he was buried in the depth chart. Just his elusiveness as a runner makes me want to see him get some PT. Thoughts?

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
How this kid is worse than Gibson I do not understand.
I think that it is a media conspiracy by broadcasters so they won't have to learn to pronounce his name (TIC). About the same size as that quarterback from Mississippi during Chan's time that was highly recruited, player of the year, and so on that ended up playing receiver. What was his name? Demarius Bilbo? Something like that. Never got to play much as Chan hitched his wagon to Reggie and that was that.

JacketFan137

Banned
one possibility is that he is not 100% ready yet. he tore his achilles in spring 2021 and that may sound like a long time ago but achilles injuries are REALLY bad. he returned to practice in fall 2021 but i would be pretty shocked if he was even close to where he was pre achilles injury at that time.

now he’s been with us for a while and it wouldn’t surprise me if he is just getting to the point where he was before the injury so he’s probably just starting to practice at 100% again.

now this is only pure speculation based on my experience in sports medicine and healthcare, and what the typical achilles timeline is. either way it’s always been a pretty bleak injury so he may never be back fully.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
He hasn’t been the same since his Achilles tear. I saw him in a few practices during fall practices before the season. His throwing just wasn’t good and for being a running QB, his running reads weren’t that much better either. Just a low risk with potential type of transfer.

slugboy

Staff member
I think that it is a media conspiracy by broadcasters so they won't have to learn to pronounce his name (TIC). About the same size as that quarterback from Mississippi during Chan's time that was highly recruited, player of the year, and so on that ended up playing receiver. What was his name? Demarius Bilbo? Something like that. Never got to play much as Chan hitched his wagon to Reggie and that was that.
Bilbo was a QB near the beginning of Gailey’s coaching tenure, while Reggie Ball was towards the end. Bilbo fought for playing time vs AJ Suggs

GT33

Helluva Engineer
He hasn’t been the same since his Achilles tear. I saw him in a few practices during fall practices before the season. His throwing just wasn’t good and for being a running QB, his running reads weren’t that much better either. Just a low risk with potential type of transfer.
He played in the Pitt game after his achilles injury. He was good enough to drive the team down the field & score. Would have been a TD except for dropped passes. I really don't get all the speculation on this kid, there's ive game tape from a year ago. Dabo wasn't playng him in front of U and Klubnik so he transferred. There's no way he's worse than Gibson unless he's inured himself again since he arrived on The Flats.

Nobody's saying he's injured. I'm chalking it up to bad decision making like we saw when we put Gibson in over our favorite ginger. It's not like our staff has a great track record here.

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
A major injury has 2 sides to recovery, the physical and the mental. He may be 100% physically but does he trust that he is healed. After my 2nd ankle injury in college my sophomore year, I never trusted it again and my play went downhill because I constantly worried I would reinjure it. That might be where he is and explain his play.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I can definitely say that achilles injuries really never go away. I've been dealing with tearing both of mine - one twice, plus both calfs - one twice, for over 15 years, and is always on my mind when jogging, tennis, b-ball. I've at least gotten smart enough to know the signs when to stop (immediately) before something more serious happens. That and lots of balance board and other exercises to build up everything around them. And beer . . . lots of beer of course.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Whenever Bilbo went in, you knew he wasn't going to pass. He was a pretty good runner.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
A major injury has 2 sides to recovery, the physical and the mental. He may be 100% physically but does he trust that he is healed. After my 2nd ankle injury in college my sophomore year, I never trusted it again and my play went downhill because I constantly worried I would reinjure it. That might be where he is and explain his play.
Ronald Curry was a multi sport athlete at UNC. Played QB in football and basketball at UNC. Tore his Achilles heel and was never the same after rehab. I think he missed an entire year. He was one of those can't miss athletes until that injury. It's a tough one to come back 100%.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Ronald Curry was a multi sport athlete at UNC. Played QB in football and basketball at UNC. Tore his Achilles heel and was never the same after rehab. I think he missed an entire year. He was one of those can't miss athletes until that injury. It's a tough one to come back 100%.
Same for Mike Soroka, the Braves’ pitcher.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
What I had heard when he transferred in was that he was seen as a 'developmental' QB, not really ready to play. Someone more likely to hold a clipboard and add another body to the QB room than someone that was expected to be able to play.
Now the Collins staff has a reputation among other coaching staffs as being a poor evaluation staff and in some ways more interested in 'stars' than ability.

I expect he will play the last 2 weeks in some capacity, but I am not expecting huge returns. UNC would be his best bet as UNC's defense for years has had issues with mobile, running QB's (think about what Sims did to them last season).