Tailgate at wreckfest

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
This is probably not really targeted at fans like us anyways. We all probably have buddies and family we tailgate with and the food and alcohol we like. If you are casually stopping by for a game or you're in town for the weekend on business or whatever it would be cool to have an easy tailgate spot like this to get beer and food and hang out with fans. They should be casting a big net because most regular tailgaters are already buying tickets and attending games. There's no point in GT competing against itself.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
This is probably not really targeted at fans like us anyways. We all probably have buddies and family we tailgate with and the food and alcohol we like. If you are casually stopping by for a game or you're in town for the weekend on business or whatever it would be cool to have an easy tailgate spot like this to get beer and food and hang out with fans. They should be casting a big net because most regular tailgaters are already buying tickets and attending games. There's no point in GT competing against itself.
If this was $25 including 2 drinks a ticket and $10-15 for kids 12 and under I would jump all over it. We have a 3 & 6 y/o and with soccer games Saturday mornings there is no time to setup a tailgate. Most of my friends are cheapskates who are too cheap to even buy tickets but love to complain.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Feels like people are criticizing the cost of admission and not keeping in mind expenses beyond food costs, such as labor, equipment, insurance, management fees, etc.

If you're already willing to put up with the labor of putting on a tailgate or your primary deciding factor is cost, this probably isn't aimed at you.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Feels like people are criticizing the cost of admission and not keeping in mind expenses beyond food costs, such as labor, equipment, insurance, management fees, etc.

If you're already willing to put up with the labor of putting on a tailgate or your primary deciding factor is cost, this probably isn't aimed at you.
How do Atlanta United supporters groups put on tailgates for much cheaper without loosing money? Price is typically 10-15 all you can eat or 20-25 if you want all you can drink too. It can be done at a lower price-point. The top of Peter's isn't huge so there's a chance that pricing this low would be too popular and hamper the experience.

Edited to add: I'm glad they (GTAA) is doing this and think it's a great idea. I think it will be popular and hope the idea will expand. Maybe a second tailgate in a less prime location for fans of a different demographic who are too cheap to pay for the initial offering.

Last edited:

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
How do Atlanta United supporters groups put on tailgates for much cheaper without loosing money? Price is typically 10-15 all you can eat or 20-25 if you want all you can drink too. It can be done at a lower price-point. The top of Peter's isn't huge so there's a chance that pricing this low would be too popular and hamper the experience.

Had no idea AtlUtd did this and have no idea if they lose money or not.

Also, are the supporters putting it on or is it the underlying MLS franchise?

If they have a much bigger tailgate, wouldn't there be purchasing power for food costs and more people to absorb overhead items, such as fees paid to event organizers? Also, absorbing overhead would be more games played by AtlUtd.

What are the administrative items involved with GT vs. the supporters group, such as insurance, permits, etc.?

The list probably goes on. It's probably not apples to apples.

gtg970g

Jolly Good Fellow
Had no idea AtlUtd did this and have no idea if they lose money or not.

Also, are the supporters putting it on or is it the underlying MLS franchise?

If they have a much bigger tailgate, wouldn't there be purchasing power for food costs and more people to absorb overhead items, such as fees paid to event organizers? Also, absorbing overhead would be more games played by AtlUtd.

What are the administrative items involved with GT vs. the supporters group, such as insurance, permits, etc.?

The list probably goes on. It's probably not apples to apples.
Yes the supporter's groups put on tailgates and no they don't loose money. In fact they donate any profits to soccer organizations around Atlanta.

Yes they have insurance. They are very professionally run organizations and tailgates. They feed and entertain hundreds of people each, similar to how I imagine the Peter's tailgate will be. I believe this entire venture of providing a walk-up tailgate was initiated because of our seeing AU tailgates before games at BDS last season. They had an entire parking lot next to the Varsity (an expense the GTAA will not have due to having an entire campus open to hosting tailgates) with the 4 supporters groups tailgating.

A tailgate before games at BDS is as apples to apples are you are going to get. It can be done for less without sacrificing quality. Like I said previously I can understand why they may want to start off smaller to test the waters but there's no reason this can't be taken to a larger scale with a lower cost option in the future.

On a slightly unrelated note the availability of a walk up tailgate allows patrons to take mass transit to the event without sacrificing the tailgate experience. Many younger people want to take Marta instead of driving to events and this will give them that option. The trains are packed for AU games like I have never seen them for GT games.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yes the supporter's groups put on tailgates and no they don't loose money. In fact they donate any profits to soccer organizations around Atlanta.

Yes they have insurance. They are very professionally run organizations and tailgates. They feed and entertain hundreds of people each, similar to how I imagine the Peter's tailgate will be. I believe this entire venture of providing a walk-up tailgate was initiated because of our seeing AU tailgates before games at BDS last season. They had an entire parking lot next to the Varsity (an expense the GTAA will not have due to having an entire campus open to hosting tailgates) with the 4 supporters groups tailgating.

A tailgate before games at BDS is as apples to apples are you are going to get. It can be done for less without sacrificing quality. Like I said previously I can understand why they may want to start off smaller to test the waters but there's no reason this can't be taken to a larger scale with a lower cost option in the future.

On a slightly unrelated note the availability of a walk up tailgate allows patrons to take mass transit to the event without sacrificing the tailgate experience. Many younger people want to take Marta instead of driving to events and this will give them that option. The trains are packed for AU games like I have never seen them for GT games.

Like I opened my previous statement, I have no idea about AtlUtd and what they do beyond their underlying existence and popularity.

Interesting point you make in your first paragraph that I previously didn't want to harp on. Any profits earned are a de facto donation to GT athletics. If people view this as their entertainment dollar, don't spend it. That said, college athletics are generally a passion hobby that can use every dollar it can get in today's arms race.

Something to consider. Same way, I think lower prices children's tickets are a valid consideration.

In your last paragraph, you nailed something on the head. Stansbury has had turnkey tailgates on his mind since he arrived and constituencies such as the occasional game attendee, younger fans that don't want the hassle, families that cant handle the logistics... Those are the targets.

The target audience isn't the crowd that are happy to do it for themselves, likely at lower cost.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
This may actually be the precursor to a beer patio.

I do feel it would do wonders. Getting fans in.

Let's face it. More people go to Braves, Falcons, Hawks games for the glitz and shiny new things.

It's the whole experience. Most people only watch probably 40-60% of the game when they go. It's about what crazy food can they try, or what games do they provide. As much as I hate it. I dont think we are going away from that. Games now have to be multidimensional on entertainment. GT has a great opportunity to provide that. Make some additions to the stadium, and make a beer garden, make a design your own jersey site, have top tier vendors for food. Life has changed tremendously in the past 25 years. To me it's only going away from going to a game to only watch a game. It's about being seen, seeing people, and being entertained and spending money.

People cannot enjoy just a good game anymore.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer
How about sections 101 thru 229
3E02374D00000578-0-image-a-38_1488814383820.jpg

Replace all the stands with safe standing and sell beer around the whole stadium. We would instantly shoot up to the most intimidating environment in FBS.

Buzztheirazz

Helluva Engineer
Just curious, where would a beer patio go in BDS? North endzone upper deck?
I was thinking that dead area between the lower west and lower north.

Lower west and lower south(whatever that building is called) would probably work as well.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Has anyone seen the new tailgating option tech is offering on top of Peter's parking deck???

$25 to get in. Music, games, food, and a cash bar.

Heres the link

http://ramblinwreck.com/gt-athletics-introduces-the-tailgate-at-wreckfest/

Interesting that of all the complaints, only one person noted that this conflicts with actual wreckfest.

I get that this might have a different target demographic, but personally I think actual wreckfest needs a lot more resources directed towards improving it before we start going after niche demographics.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
Interesting that of all the complaints, only one person noted that this conflicts with actual wreckfest.

I get that this might have a different target demographic, but personally I think actual wreckfest needs a lot more resources directed towards improving it before we start going after niche demographics.

Amen. Wreckfest is more of see the players and cheerleaders and go. Rather than what it should be, basically a full on festival of 5-6 food trucks, games and prizes, different booths selling multiple tech related things. Maybe auctioning off game worn materials. Also, doing paid raffles would be a great way to raise money. Hell 2-5 dollars a raffle ticket could raise thousands for the likes of say an official GT helmet, signed PJ football, or free buzz memories options.