Tailgate at wreckfest

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
Here is a question. Since wreck fest is a joke. Shouldn't this idea just be wreckfest? Not charge for entry and just charge for food and alcohol? Have picnic tables put out for it and all??? I mean that seems to be the far better option....... that will bring a ton of fans.

That's what they are doing isn't it? I think you need to go back and read the article linked. Oh BTW the players, cheer leaders, band members, family, friends and fans don't feel wreck fest is a joke

"Located atop Peters Parking Deck, The Tailgate at Wreckfest includes food, tailgate games, music and a cash bar, beginning three hours prior to kickoff. It also offers a prime tailgating location just steps from the north entrances to Bobby Dodd Stadium and in close proximity to Wreckfest, Yellow Jacket Alley and Georgia Tech’s official rideshare drop-off/pick-up area."

Gold1

Helluva Engineer
Here is a question. Since wreck fest is a joke. Shouldn't this idea just be wreckfest? Not charge for entry and just charge for food and alcohol? Have picnic tables put out for it and all??? I mean that seems to be the far better option....... that will bring a ton of fans.
What?

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
It's on top of the parking garage not AT wreckfest. Why not make all of Bobby Dodd way and Fowler street food vendors, like local food trucks with different types of food, serve alchohol, have seating put out before hand. Start it at 10am on noon kick off. And open the museum at 8am and run it till 1 hour after the game ends.

For 7pm kickoff start wreckfest at 4 and have the museum open at 1pm. That way people can enjoy the location a lot more...

Take the idea of making this tailgate fest isolated to those who pay to get in, and just put all this stuff on Bobby Dodd way and Fowler. Way more alcohol will be sold. I know I'd buy 2 or 3 beers at 10 bucks a pop before going in. But no way in hell I'm paying 25 to get in to spend 20 more for drinks. That's just pushing people away.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
It's on top of the parking garage not AT wreckfest. Why not make all of Bobby Dodd way and Fowler street food vendors, like local food trucks with different types of food, serve alchohol, have seating put out before hand. Start it at 10am on noon kick off. And open the museum at 8am and run it till 1 hour after the game ends.

For 7pm kickoff start wreckfest at 4 and have the museum open at 1pm. That way people can enjoy the location a lot more...

Take the idea of making this tailgate fest isolated to those who pay to get in, and just put all this stuff on Bobby Dodd way and Fowler. Way more alcohol will be sold. I know I'd buy 2 or 3 beers at 10 bucks a pop before going in. But no way in hell I'm paying 25 to get in to spend 20 more for drinks. That's just pushing people away.

I like what you're suggesting and perhaps it would work but I also like what they're doing with this option that hasn't been available before. You seem to be p***ed about it since it doesn't meet your needs or thoughts. Oh BTW it opens 3 hours before kickoff and nobody's put a gun to your head to make you use it.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
The tailgate should not be about extracting the maximum profit per head, it should be to encourage attendance and improve atmosphere.

I agree in principle. However, pricing is always a balancing act. Yes, there’s generally the notion to extract profit. But let’s assume that’s not part of the motivation - I can still see reasons why they would raise the price for certain games.

There’s something to be said for making it a bit more expensive to get in - it reduces demand (leading to less people pissed because ‘it always sells out in < 1 minute!’). Especially for crazy games like Clemson or uGA.

boger2337

Helluva Engineer
I like what you're suggesting and perhaps it would work but I also like what they're doing with this option that hasn't been available before. You seem to be p***ed about it since it doesn't meet your needs or thoughts. Oh BTW it opens 3 hours before kickoff and nobody's put a gun to your head to make you use it.

I'm just upset because they can make more money on alcohol outside of a prepaid event than they can within one. Its basic business. What drives profit for the school

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'm just upset because they can make more money on alcohol outside of a prepaid event than they can within one. Its basic business. What drives profit for the school

Did you ever stop to think they are doing this to see how it goes over? If the company selected can handle it properly on an initial offering in hopes of expanding it? Do it poorly to begin with and you have a disaster on your hands. Do it right and going forward the foundation is laid. You sound pi**ed off that some great extravaganza is not happening from the get go. I'd rather see if done correctly then expanded, you're going to make a boatload more money that way!

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
If they put up some big screens here and there to watch games in progress fans might spend the whole pre and post game day there.

I’d still like to see a beer patio inside the stadium during games too.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
So I am getting the impression that becoming a Tech millionaire is more about pinching pennies that getting a great job. Of course this does show the gap with dwag fans. They are typically like the people you see at the fair who spend a months salary to win the giant stuffed Sponge Bob.... actually maybe they are the same people

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
No it's at Peter's parking. Its pay to get in. Why not just charge for food and alchohol right outside the gates. Have a ton of vendors, alchohol, and all. No entry fee. Make it a huge party.
Maybe the GT bookstore could have a trailer there to sell GT apparel, opening 5 minutes before kickoff. (If you don’t know what I’m referencing, check out the fan day threads). ;)

Dirty Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan
The tailgate should not be about extracting the maximum profit per head, it should be to encourage attendance and improve atmosphere.

This verbatim should be communicated to Todd. Maybe consider sending an email to that effect—great idea but come on man. Let’s get people to show up for a couple of years then consider maximizing profits on ancillary crap like this. It’s not like if this sells out every week our athletic department is in a new stratosphere. This should be a break even or small loss venture in an effort to build some excitement around a recently
Flat product. Good idea though.