T Stan... your opinion on his job performance to date.

T Stan... your opinion on his job performance to date.

• Total voters

Deleted member 2897

There’s literally no reason in hell why he doesn’t get an A. This is silly.

But Pastner needs to go ASAP.

Partners been ACC coach of the year a third of his time here. :D

If he doesn’t get 20 wins this year and make the NCAAT, Todd will be pulling out the Rolodex to start that process you can be sure. We have 4 top-125 guys on the team now and nearly everyone is back. If he can’t do it with this team, I don’t think he can do it.

Vespidae

Helluva Engineer
I gave TStan a C.

He has done a LOT of good stuff. Simplified the branding, outreach to former players, fundraising, relationship with the Hill. All good. I’ve met him and I like him.

Two rev sports drive everything: Football and basketball. And both are stalled. I will give kudos to hiring Geoff, but honestly ... he should have done that sooner.

TStan’s highest priority should be winning games and building a culture of winning. Right now, the emphasis is on building a new Edge. Right now, resources need to be most focused on winning ... not new offices.

He can be an A+. But right now ... he’s doing what any AD is supposed to do.

I think he was a great hire. But we’ll have to wait 2-3 more years to really see.

Deleted member 2897

I gave TStan a C.

He has done a LOT of good stuff. Simplified the branding, outreach to former players, fundraising, relationship with the Hill. All good. I’ve met him and I like him.

Two rev sports drive everything: Football and basketball. And both are stalled. I will give kudos to hiring Geoff, but honestly ... he should have done that sooner.

TStan’s highest priority should be winning games and building a culture of winning. Right now, the emphasis is on building a new Edge. Right now, resources need to be most focused on winning ... not new offices.

I think he was a great hire. But we’ll have to wait 2-3 more years to really see.

Is that a Georgia Tech Mechanics of Solids C? Like top 20% of his peers? :D

Milwaukee

Banned
I gave TStan a C.

Lol

LibertyTurns

Banned
Is that a Georgia Tech Mechanics of Solids C? Like top 20% of his peers? :D
He’s in his Junior year. The All Man’s average for Frosh-Soph was about 2.3 if I recall correctly. Only 1/3 of his peers would be left under the look left, look right criteria so yeah Top 20% & he gets a C. He better be careful because he’s only 1 or 2 shafts from a D or an F.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I’d give him an A for his start except for the MercedesBenz deal. That puts him at a B- for me with plenty of time to raise his grade.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I would have liked him to embrace cgc 404 movement a Little more. Personally I think that is something that can/is a really effective marketing tool that will pay big dividends over coming years.
I personally think the mbs deal is a really good move.

LibertyTurns

Banned
I’d give him an A for his start except for the MercedesBenz deal. That puts him at a B- for me with plenty of time to raise his grade.
Short term he had no choice, we need the cash badly. You don’t expend $9M on transitions on what amounts to a $17M/year operation without having a massive infusion of cash.

I probably left off balls (A+)- the man’s not playing conservative. He’s spending out ahead of the revenue streams & projecting he will energize & develop the fanbase such that I’m guessing he’ll more than double the amount of money spent annually on the program in 3-5 years. Yes, the ACC Network will contribute but like many other new things GT & ACC missed the bus and the big money was left on the table while we dawdled. If the money does not happen, standby for a long painful period of malaise. We think we’re behind now. You won’t even be able to imagine the delta between the haves & the have nots.

BCJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I'll give him a B.

I think he's a major upgrade over his predecessor who gets a solid D (At least Sasquatch didn't pull a Damon Evans on his way out.) I really appreciate the increased communication and effort. I think we're pointed in a better direction.

However, there's been too many (IMHO) mistakes to credit him with an A. Much of this is/was out of his control, but the buck stops with him:
  • Ron Bell Impermissible Benefits Situation
  • Josh Pastner Ongoing Drama vis-a-vis Ron Bell
  • Darryl LaBarrie
  • MaChelle Joseph Drama
  • Renewing the deal with 680 the Dawg (When their 'talent' regularly joke about being our "flagship" and whine about not wanting to talk about us. Reported as fact we'd hired Whisenhunt. Preempt our events for anything.)
  • The Adidas apparel roll-out
  • Stadium security policy whiplash and continued decline of the game day experience
  • Dedrick Mills dismissal/three strikes policy
  • Michelle Branch being played over the stadium PA

GT99

Georgia Tech Fan
Probably saved the Institute a few million bucks by treating CPJ with class. I suspect CPJ's exit would have looked a lot different (and a lot more expensive) if the former athletic director was still around.

/

I'm pretty sure if CPJ had retired under his predecessor, it would have gone something like this:

CPJ to AA Staffer: "Here's my retirement letter, effective immediately"
AA Staffer calls Sasquatch and leaves VM saying "sir, Paul Johnson has retired effective immediately - please call me back ASAP to discuss how you'd like to proceed"
Sasquatch returns call next day: "Who's Paul Johnson?"

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
I like where things are headed. Just having someone who is enthusiastic and willing to try new things is a huge step up from where we were.

But TBH - I don’t think the football coaching search process was handled very well.

I think we landed the right guy - so I’m quite happy with the outcome, I’m just not sure we handled the process as well as we should: offering Whisenhunt without considering other candidates was a mistake. To my understanding, Whiz was the 1st interview and was essentially offered the job on the spot.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I like where things are headed. Just having someone who is enthusiastic and willing to try new things is a huge step up from where we were.

But TBH - I don’t think the football coaching search process was handled very well.

I think we landed the right guy - so I’m quite happy with the outcome, I’m just not sure we handled the process as well as we should: offering Whisenhunt without considering other candidates was a mistake. To my understanding, Whiz was the 1st interview and was essentially offered the job on the spot.
Thank goodness Ken Whisenhunt turned TStan down(y)

gtstinger776

Ramblin' Wreck
Thank goodness Ken Whisenhunt turned TStan down(y)
Yep. It just wasn’t a good fit.

I think it’s a lazy argument to say Whiz wouldn’t have been effective because of the similarities between his and Gailey’s backgrounds.

More so, I think Whiz had a glaring gap in the recruiting dimension. CFB, driven by recruiting, requires younger energy. Strong recruiting pedigrees in the relevant region, like CGC’s (Florida - DC, Miss St - DC), have to be a top 3 factor in hiring decisions. Whiz was a 0 in that dimension.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
I said OTHER so far, as an "Incomplete". If the 2020 Initiative succeeds, then probably a solid B.

He seems to be doing a good job with Football, but his handling of the other programs seems pretty rough.

JorgeJonas

Helluva Engineer
C+. I despise the fact that we’re not going to have the Notre Dame game on campus next season. I am not debiting him for the Collins here (though I admit my own skepticism), but I’m not crediting him, either.

Men’s hoops is a train wreck, and though he didn’t hire the coach, he hasn’t done much to help him, either.

If he nails the Collins hire, this changes. If he screwed it up, he should be fired.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
C+. I despise the fact that we’re not going to have the Notre Dame game on campus next season. I am not debiting him for the Collins here (though I admit my own skepticism), but I’m not crediting him, either.

Men’s hoops is a train wreck, and though he didn’t hire the coach, he hasn’t done much to help him, either.

If he nails the Collins hire, this changes. If he screwed it up, he should be fired.
If Geoff Collins doesn't turn football around at GT,TStan will probably have to fall on his sword for it.

Cam

Helluva Engineer
Considering he inherited an athletic program that's like $200 million in debt, he seems to be doing really well. I've approved of every move he's made so far and have loved most of them. The only thing I thought was a bit weak was our deal with adidas. We got great apparel value, but virtually no cash to help with the debt. I understand that we basically came into the negotiations with 0 leverage because our athletic program had a couple down years in a row, but I was disappointed with the end result given the deals similar prestige programs have received. Overall, I gave him a B, mostly because the moves he's made are more long term and should bump him to an A if they pay off.

BuckeyeJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I'll give him a B.

I think he's a major upgrade over his predecessor who gets a solid D (At least Sasquatch didn't pull a Damon Evans on his way out.) I really appreciate the increased communication and effort. I think we're pointed in a better direction.

However, there's been too many (IMHO) mistakes to credit him with an A. Much of this is/was out of his control, but the buck stops with him:
  • Ron Bell Impermissible Benefits Situation
  • Josh Pastner Ongoing Drama vis-a-vis Ron Bell
  • Darryl LaBarrie
  • MaChelle Joseph Drama
  • Renewing the deal with 680 the Dawg (When their 'talent' regularly joke about being our "flagship" and whine about not wanting to talk about us. Reported as fact we'd hired Whisenhunt. Preempt our events for anything.)
  • The Adidas apparel roll-out
  • Stadium security policy whiplash and continued decline of the game day experience
  • Dedrick Mills dismissal/three strikes policy
  • Michelle Branch being played over the stadium PA

Not everyone hated Michelle Branch...