Syracuse Post Game

Techwood Relict

Helluva Engineer
willem dafoe scientist GIF

After analyzing this game, I am firm in my scientific opinion that fsu is 17th in the ACC. And we are not...... Moving on.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
A thought I’ve gone round and round with since before the FSU game is the age old question of whether you should schedule difficult games early or cup cakes. Lots of coaches like scheduling cup cakes early to get all the kinks worked out with their teams without tiring them out. Saban did this most seasons. Other teams like to establish a hard nosed attitude early by playing tougher opponents. I seem to recall TCU doing this when they were trying to climb back into national prominence after decades of being mediocre.

I’m not suggesting one is better than the other but the latter approach is high risk high reward and you better have quality depth. Syracuse playing Ohio ended up being the perfect warm up for them and they seemed much fresher and well rested than Tech. Over the course of the next four or five games we will see if Tech’s schedule or Syracuse’s schedule served them better.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
I mean they showed on 2nd down that they were gonna pass it so make it 3rd down that is gonna be a pass that we know over giving them a extra down to pass more
Lol they would have been 2nd and 22 from their own 14 yard line. If they throw an incomplete pass on 2nd and 22 we still have 3 timeouts if they hit a 12 years pass they are right back where they were and D would still have to make a 3rd and 10 stop. It’s was a terrible decision to play for an extra timeout when you don’t even have the ball yet.

Techfan02

Ramblin' Wreck
Lol they would have been 2nd and 22 from their own 14 yard line. If they throw an incomplete pass on 2nd and 22 we still have 3 timeouts if they hit a 12 years pass they are right back where they were and D would still have to make a 3rd and 10 stop. It’s was a terrible decision to play for an extra timeout when you don’t even have the ball yet.
I think it's better to bank on a 3rd down stop but a lot of people seem to forget we still had another set of downs to get a stop and we didn't

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Wish we would’ve had a BYE this week after the Ireland trip and GSU game. FSU was severely overrated, but I think that trip takes a larger toll than people realize. Still have to play 2 more games before we get a BYE. Should be 3-1 heading into the most important stretch of the season. @Louisville, Duke, @UNC. If we get through there at 5-2 I feel good about where we’re at. If we’re 4-3 it might be tough to get to another bowl game, and 3-4 you can stick a fork in this season.

A lot of season ahead. I think the team is still kind of worn down physically and mentally. Hopefully we can get the starters out early against VMI and go to work on Louisville. That game will tell us a lot about where we stand. Everything is still in front though. Onward and upward

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
You’re wrong. Declining that penalty is not the story of this game, and certainly not the season. Declining that penalty is just a shiny object for those worshipping at the analytics altar. We got beat on both sides of the ball, especially on defense.
Engineers and numbers.
Flies to honey.

Our plan on offense is based on defense not getting boat raced. Our defensive plan was in soft zone and still got boat raced. Alert do something.

Time out blow out.

Just blame the fn fg kicker.
Its way easier.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
The entire team looked tired and slow to me.

Offense:
Jamal Haynes is like a shell of himself, no explosiveness, low energy. He got that Toss play late in the game and had 2 blockers in front of him and wide open lane and he basically just looked like he was in quicksand and then ran right into the guy getting blocked and fell over…I’ve never seen him like that before. I would definitely be looking to just rest him for a game/week.

OL did a decent job in pass pro, but they really struggled on run plays, Syracuse did a lot of run blitzing and our guys didn’t respond well to it. Wasn’t much room all day for the RBs to go through.

Defense:
Same issues that has haunted us for a long time, no legitimate pass rusher/consistent pressure. Lack of overall team speed on defense, get exposed a lot in plays in space and in coverage because we don’t have speed, especially at LB. I love efford but he is a liability in pass coverage and then they just started blitzing him every play trying to get pressure and that wasn’t working either.
We looked tired from the beginning of the game to me. Running in quicksand, everyone a step slow, and one of our best OL getting knocked on his back by a player he probably outweighed by 70 pounds. We’ve gone from looking like one of the quickest teams in football to looking like we are playing at 3/4 speed.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A thought I’ve gone round and round with since before the FSU game is the age old question of whether you should schedule difficult games early or cup cakes. Lots of coaches like scheduling cup cakes early to get all the kinks worked out with their teams without tiring them out. Saban did this most seasons. Other teams like to establish a hard nosed attitude early by playing tougher opponents. I seem to recall TCU doing this when they were trying to climb back into national prominence after decades of being mediocre.

I’m not suggesting one is better than the other but the latter approach is high risk high reward and you better have quality depth. Syracuse playing Ohio ended up being the perfect warm up for them and they seemed much fresher and well rested than Tech. Over the course of the next four or five games we will see if Tech’s schedule or Syracuse’s schedule served them better.
I agree. As I've said to tedium here Tech needs to schedule to win. Having Syracuse early was perhaps unavoidable and, after all, most predictions had them as a lower level ACC team. I knew they had McCord, however, and I knew they'd be hard out. As always, I would have scheduled easy teams to start. Nothing improves morale - and, I might add, toughness - like winning. And, btw, Syracuse's "schedule" from now on doesn't look challenging at all. Tech's gets tougher each week after next Saturday. I'm for a schedule like theirs, though I know a lot of our trouble is due to our ACC brethren and the, like, a total lack of a break from them for years.

slugboy

Staff member
FYI, this year, we gave up
On defense

Last year, we gave up
And the 13 was to FCS SCST

We aren’t Iowa, but we look improved over last year’s defense.

The offense is also improving, but not as much. We should vary our attack.

@takethepoints preseason projections had Syracuse and Tech about even—both mid tier, or a notch below

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I agree. As I've said to tedium here Tech needs to schedule to win. Having Syracuse early was perhaps unavoidable and, after all, most predictions had them as a lower level ACC team. I knew they had McCord, however, and I knew they'd be hard out. As always, I would have scheduled easy teams to start. Nothing improves morale - and, I might add, toughness - like winning. And, btw, Syracuse's "schedule" from now on doesn't look challenging at all. Tech's gets tougher each week after next Saturday. I'm for a schedule like theirs, though I know a lot of our trouble is due to our ACC brethren and the, like, a total lack of a break from them for years.
Yep. I don’t have a strong opinion either way but I certainly think playing FSU and Syracuse in our first 3 weeks has been draining.

Eli

Helluva Engineer
Notre Dame is beating Northern Illinois by 1
Cal is beating Auburn.

There is so much parity in college football outside of 4-5 teams that I find it funny we are overreacting to getting beat by a very talented Syracuse team.

Key made some terrible decisions but the world isn’t ending yet..

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
View attachment 16814
These are NFL odds but I stand behind this is why you have to take the penalty.

That chart is to convert on one play not to convert overall. If it was overall then the percentage to convert at second and 10 should be higher than 3rd and 10. So yes it's less likely to convert it first down from second and 20 plus than it is from 3rd and 10 on one play but not necessarily that different on two plays.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
Notable stats: King had a higher completion % (74) than McCord (70). One key difference was that King's short passes to the flat usually resulted in a 3-4 yard gain, while McCords's were usually an 8-yard gain or better. Give Syracuse credit for being ready for us more than we were ready for them.

Jacket20

Georgia Tech Fan
D is who I feared they were. Need a few unblockable guys in front 7. McCord is NFL quality.

O line couldn’t pass block this week. Other than some King runs, rushing was anemic. It is what it is.

Go Jackets!
We are going to face many more NFL quality QBs as this season progresses so we better buckle up!

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Well, I am sad and dssapointed. I bought into the belief were we singificantly better on the LOS. I thought we'd win this game...not easily, but I thought we'd control it like the FSU game. I was wrong. We're not that good. Season isn't over, but the reality now sets in. As a GT fan, at my age, I wonder if we will ever be good enough to play for a national championship while I live. Every year my hopes get up, only to have to settle for some bowl somewhere.

I know it's not easy, but damn...Syracuse in one off season has LOS that pushed us around all day. That makes me...sad.