Syracuse Arrogance

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
First 3 min spent talking about GT.

Expectations in Syracuse are well above the Vegas o/u for the season. They play Ohio at 3:30pm on ACCN on Saturday.

“I think before the season people thought okay GT was an okay team last year, but if Syracuse improved as much as we think they did, that’s a game most people would say Syracuse should win at home.”

****ing wut? Syracuse strolling into this season penciling Tech in as a W? The echo chamber up north must be something to behold lol. If not for the easiest schedule in modern football history I don’t know that they’d be considered a bowl team. Certainly capable of beating us at home like any ACC team is, but to dismiss it as an expectation is hilarious.

Then he somehow in the same breathe talks about leveraging GT being ranked as a way to get people to actually go to the game. 😂

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I think before the season people thought okay GT was an okay team last year, but if Syracuse improved as much as we think they did, that’s a game most people would say Syracuse should win at home.

****ing wut? Syracuse strolling into this season penciling Tech in as a W? The echo chamber up north must be something to behold lol. If not for the easiest schedule in modern football history I don’t know that they’d be considered a bowl team. Certainly capable of beating us at home like any ACC team is, but to dismiss it as an expectation is hilarious.

Then he somehow in the same breathe talks about leveraging GT being ranked as a way to get people to actually go to the game. 😂
Maybe you didn't hear what he said immediately after. "Perhaps there's a little bit less confidence in that." The discussion context was about the impact of our win in Ireland on their expectations.

slugboy

Staff member
5 hour drive from Boston. I am planning on going with a car load of teens
Upstate NY can be a pretty area. It should be really nice this time of year.

The Finger Lakes are nice, there are state parks. Niagara Falls is about 4 hours away

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Lot of talk for a team that’s beaten us 1 time. Ever.
Compared to gt the long term upside for S Cuse is very low. They have 600k people in surrounding area. We have 6,000k. We are in football country. Largest airport.

Need to get 8-10 smaller conferences that are localized - play about 8 games. Then top teams go in playoff. Winner is in. The committee add 6 to field. Games are at conference Winner, then to big market stadiums.

Less travel, build rivalries.
See you later s cuse

Last edited:

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
Maybe you didn't hear what he said immediately after. "Perhaps there's a little bit less confidence in that." The discussion context was about the impact of our win in Ireland on their expectations.

Yeah I heard that part. Obviously it looks even worse now that we beat FSU, but I’m talking about it being ridiculous even before that. Nobody (outside of NY I guess) had GT below Syracuse preseason let alone “a game they should win.”

bensaysitathome

Ramblin' Wreck
Yeah I heard that part. Obviously it looks even worse now that we beat FSU, but I’m talking about it being ridiculous even before that. Nobody (outside of NY I guess) had GT below Syracuse preseason let alone “a game they should win.”
I'm a pretty regular listener to "Basketball Conference: The ACC Football Podcast" (full title in to dispel confusion on what sport its covering). They did a series of team previews for every ACC team.

The Syracuse one in particular is interesting - the beat writer suggests maybe 8-4, but adds in that there's a sizeable contingent of fans that fully expect 11-1. I appreciate that they brought in some talent, and the new head coach *might* be good, but they're a giant sack of unknowns right now. Like, what?

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
I'm a pretty regular listener to "Basketball Conference: The ACC Football Podcast" (full title in to dispel confusion on what sport its covering). They did a series of team previews for every ACC team.

The Syracuse one in particular is interesting - the beat writer suggests maybe 8-4, but adds in that there's a sizeable contingent of fans that fully expect 11-1. I appreciate that they brought in some talent, and the new head coach *might* be good, but they're a giant sack of unknowns right now. Like, what?
Agree. We will know a little more after Saturday's game with G5 Ohio. So far no ACC team has controlled their first game from start to finish, regardless of their opponent's quality. If Syracuse wins in a blowout and has total game control, maybe they have a chance to be good this year. If they struggle, that will tell us something as well.

GTLorenzo

Helluva Engineer
Upstate NY can be a pretty area. It should be really nice this time of year.

The Finger Lakes are nice, there are state parks. Niagara Falls is about 4 hours away

I'm going with my son. Heading to Cooperstown on Sunday and taking an early flight home on Monday.