Senior Appreciation Synjyn Days #10, RS SR, Became a Jacket on 8/28/09

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Senior Appreciation: http://4te.ch/seniors2014

Mr. Days of Powder Springs, GA was rated a 3* Athlete when Brian Bohannon recruited him out of Hillgrove HS. Synjyn chose GT over a handful of other offers such as: Indiana, Oklahoma State and Eeastern Michigan. As a Senior in HS he did crack the AJC Fab 50 list at number 43.

When Days arrived at Tech he was slated at QB and depth allowed him to redshirt his first year. As a redshirt freshman he played in 6 games as Tevin Washington's back-up and showed promise as he averaged 4.9 yards a carry, ran for 4 TDs and completed 8-12 passes for 198 yards. The addition of Vad Lee saw Days slip down the depth chart at QB and so he was moved to AB in his RS-Sophomore year. He ended up playing in all 14 games with his best one coming at Maryland when he had 6 carries for a total of 66 yards. His Junior campaign found him starting at AB for the final 7 games of the season and he again played in all 13. His total stats included 27 carries for 93 yards and 4 TDs plus 4 pass receptions for 48 yards. One of his best performances was against Ole Miss in the Music City Bowl when he had 4 carries for 24 yards and a 17 yard reception. However, Days true strength his Junior year came in his commitment to blocking as an AB.

As is often the case Synjyn saved his best year for last and was "better as a redshirt senior than he was as a true freshman" as CPJ often likes to say. In the Spring he was tried out at BB to provide extra depth and to see if his skill at blocking and overall fearlessness and toughness could better serve the team in the middle. Boy did that turn out to be the right call. Synjyn again played in all 13 games (what a tough kid!) and started the final 6 games of the year. He achieved his best year statistically: 136 carries for 753 yards (5.5 ypc) and 6 TDs, including three games over 100 yards rushing, plus 3 receptions for 33 yards and a TD. Days particularly stepped up in the biggest games of the season, with: 94 yards on 16 carries against UGA; 67 yards on 19 carries and 3 TDs plus a 10 yard reception against FSU in the ACC Championship Game; and 171 yards on 21 carries (8.1 avg) and 3 TDs against Mississippi State in the Orange Bowl.

Like many of this years seniors his stats do not begin to tell the complete story. Much of what made him such an important player at Tech had to do with what makes him a young man easy to root for: his buoyant and unflappable good humor; his selfless work ethic and lack of ego; his lack of fear on the football field and grit and toughness; and his graciousness and deep faith. Since the last is clearly so important to Synjyn I noticed that he often used the tape on his wrists as a place to reference Bible passages that he could draw upon for motivation. In the Orange Bowl he used Ephesians 6:10 which reminded him to "Finally, be strong in the Lord and his mighty power." It is often referred to as wearing the "armor of God" and Synjyn really personified fearlessness and simple toughness in hurling himself through the line and down the field every snap. I will never forget his first day at BB in a Saturday scrimmage opened to a limited public. I watched him dive in to pick up a blitzing linebacker who hit him so hard the crowd gasped. But despite getting bent in half he both succeeded in stopping the defender and somehow bounced right back up and got ready for the next play.

Days presence was almost larger than life at Tech, we even came to know well and respect his parents who have been right behind him every step of the journey. They even slept on an air mattress at his apartment to help keep him focused and ready to finish up his academic career. The demands on one's time and stresses of being a Tech student-athlete is not at all for the weak-hearted. It typically takes a strong network of support to see it through at Tech. Synjyn had that. But Synjyn also provided that for his teammates. His father had long-ago nicknamed him "The Truth" because of his virtue of honesty. He could as well have been dubbed "The Rock" for his leadership role and performance at Tech. Days frequently evidenced this capacity to provide support and stand tough in his senior year; whether it was putting an arm around a QB in his first year as a starter on the road at the in-state rival's very unfriendly environment, or dancing on the sidelines at the Orange Bowl.

Stan Awtrey does a great job of honing in on the aspect of Synjyn's Tech story that will always allow him to hold a special place in the memories and sentiments of the fanbase: "Many young men wouldn’t have gotten this far. Told they’re going to be moved from quarterback to another position, they often balk and wind up transferring. And when they don’t play, they sometimes complain about not getting a chance. None of that happened with Days. He asked only two questions: Where was he going to play? What time did he need to show up? 'All the adversity helped make me the man I am today,' Days said. 'If I hadn’t been through that difficulty, I wouldn’t be where I am now.'"

Where he is now is impressing scouts from the NFL and still flashing his winning smile, which will serve him well in his dental career after his playing days are done. Here is to one Hell of a Syn-gineer!

Honors* 2014 All-ACC Honorable Mention (coaches)
* 2014 All-ACC Honorable Mention (media)
* ACC Offensive Back of the Week (11.10.14)

Career Highs
Rushing Attempts: 24 vs. Virginia, Nov. 1, 2014
Yards Rushing: 157 at NC State, Nov. 8, 2014
TD Rushing: 3 vs. Florida State, Dec. 6, 2014
Long Rush: 53 at NC State, Nov. 8, 2014
Pass Attempts: 5 vs. Georgia, Nov. 26, 2011
Pass Completions: 3, twice, last vs. vs. Georgia, Nov. 26, 2011
Yards Passing: 94 vs. Western Carolina, Sept. 1, 2011
Long Pass: 66 vs. Western Carolina, Sept. 1, 2011
Total Offense Yards: 149 vs. Western Carolina, Sept. 1, 2011
Receptions: 2 vs. Georgia, Nov. 30, 2013
Receiving Yards: 26 vs. Georgia, Nov. 30, 2013
Receiving TD: 1, vs. Virginia, Nov. 1, 2014
Long Reception: 18 vs. Georgia, Nov. 30, 2013

Last edited by a moderator:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Some pics of Synjyn.

Showing the sincerity of his summer commitment to Tech in HS:
SYNJYNDAYS12_21150.JPG

On NSD with his family at Hillgrove High School:
785819.jpg

images

images

images

images

460944812.jpg

Going out a winner:
aptopix-orange-bowl-footbal.jpg

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Be sure to also visit the page DCS made on Synjyn as there are a lot of good memories shared there as well. Feel free to repeat your recollections of Synjyn and post favorite pics and videos here as well.

Also, here are a couple great articles on him:

ESPN's Matt Fortuna on his parents as his coaches, and Suguira explaining the success of the Belly Play from the Orange Bowl.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
A few videos showing Synjyn at his best.

Here is one of his Tech class projects where we get to see his skills as an actor as well. The kid has a ton of personality:

Early interview with Wes Durham for some perspective on his career:

Nostrasynjyn:

TD against FSU:

Stayin' Inbounds:

When you realize you are Orange Bowl Champs:

At MoH Game:

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
The stats above do not include Mississippi state in the totals. Counting MSU, he had 970 yards or so rushing.

That nitpick aside I love these senior shoutouts!

GTonTop88

Helluva Engineer
I cant count out Mason, Smelter, Nealy, Johnson, and even Waller but Synjyn was the epitome of was this team is built around. Hard work, toughness, selflessness, and a making big plays in big time situations. To me this will be the hardest person to replace, not physically but the leadership Synjyn showed is almost irreplaceable. This year couldn't have happened to a better person and I will truely miss seeing #10 in a Georgia Tech uniform. Good luck, your future is very bright.

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Thank you Synjyn. You fought through a ton of adversity and role changes and switchbacks and Defensive lines but you never stopped moving your feet and advancing the needle. We could not have been where we are today without you.

Thanks for the memories of watching belly play after belly play after good old fashioned belly play and seeing defenders shake their head's at the fact that there was no stopping you.

Thanks for the moments you shared with this team (we have only seen a select few from video clips etc) but watching you on the field shows the team understood who you were and what you were about and pulled from that.

Thank you for coming to GT, sticking it out at GT, and leaving GT a winner, a class act and most of all a GT MAN!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Made ESPN's ACC all-bowl team:

"His 171 yards on the ground led all ACC runners during bowl season to cap off an extraordinary second half of the year for Days. He scored three times on the ground versus Mississippi State, as the Bulldogs never stood a chance against Georgia Tech’s dominant rushing attack."

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The ironic thing about Synjyn for me is that I actually think he was a better AB then he was a BB! And that, sports fans, is saying something. He is a blocking machine out there and a true load at either position. That said, I was expecting that he'd do as well at BB as he did after Zach was hurt. He's a piledriver.

Now, on to the pros. I'd draft or free agent him in a New York minute. His TD from the MoH game shows why: he spots holes and he runs with tilt. When you weigh 230 and do that, you'll get a look or two for sure. If I were a pro team, I'd draft him late and gloat about it.

Thanks for your effort down through the years, Synjyn! Good luck for the rest of your life!

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
From the highlight video two small (but huge) things I noticed.

At 2:19 the way he is powering forward to make the goal line. I know that Andrews is helping with a block but it still captured his balance and power nicely. Then on his TD in the same game at 3:05 he is being spun around and down at the goal line and although he may have not been certain if the ball broke the line you can see how he wraps it up and was able to correctly realize that ball security was primary.

I am very happy for him that he put all his skills together with much improved awareness of ball security in time for a great senior season.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Synjyn getting some looks from the NFL:

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com...am/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Intriguing NFL prospect. Can add a lot to a team because of his versatility on offense and he could play special teams. If he runs under a 4.5, WOW. Was super productive when given the chance to be a feature runner at BB, but also was selfless playing AB as he was our best blocker as well. Could be a really good fullback given his ability to pick up tough yards and block.

That time of the year where a lot of our guys will get written about. Probably doesn't get drafted but will get a shot in someone's camp.

If not, dental school is not a bad fallback plan!