Sylvester Ogbonda

tbglover

Ramblin' Wreck
If I have one gripe about the coaching job CJP has done this year, it's the lack of minutes for Cole, Wright and SO. Our season was essentially shot (regarding post season play) before the conference games began. I want to see some of these guys get some minutes. Hell, AD has improved a ton from just a couple of months ago. If CJP wants to "get old and stay old," then these guys need to be getting some real PT before they're upper classmen.

I wonder if Lammers would've had a better season if CJP would've gotten him an extra 5-7 minutes of rest on the bench during games.
I agree in regards to Cole and Wright. As for SO I read somewhere else that after he got back from his ankle injury he was looking a complete mess in practice.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
This has been a mystery all season. All the offseason chatter about how great Sly looked. Then preseason hype about Moses being a starter (including from Jumpman) Once the games started, they have both been MIA and when they play they look really out of their depth. Did they practice really well and then panic in game situations? I don't have the answer, but am mystified
Moses wasn’t MIA. Slow start yes but he did produce.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I want to WIN every game we play. If someone is not playing, there's generally a pretty good reason why (they are not good yet). If Coach thinks we are more likely to win without them playing (and I do too), I'm all for that.

This isn't pro sports where there is a reward for losing (better draft pick).
Really would have like to see SO for a game or two

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Moses wasn’t MIA. Slow start yes but he did produce.
Listening to CJP’s Call-in Radio Show, it would appear that in practices, Cole is running ahead of Wright. CJP says the he will try to get both some minutes even though he is trying hard to win games. Says that as of now, Cole would be 7 and Moses 8.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The Good Word: Thinking Big
Backup center Sylvester Ogbonda pushing on to succeed on and off the court
That desire to read and to learn has served Ogbonda, who has grown to 6-10 and 239 pounds, quite well. It's come in especially handy during Georgia Tech's 2017-18 season, which has seen a sprained knee cost him most of preseason and non-conference play and a sprained ankle contribute to keeping him out of ACC action.

But through it all his spirits have stayed high.

"The team's success comes before everything," he said. "Seeing us doing well, everybody on the team is playing well, I think that keeps me confident. I talk to my mom a lot now since she's in Texas. She helps me be positive. I'm just trying to get myself better, trying to get more healthy, get my legs back."
"He's such a high-character kid," said Reveno. "You see him struggling with the injuries and not being 100 percent, but he still wants to try to get better and do his best and do his best for the team and help the team succeed. He puts the team first. He's able to push through because of character."

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Sylvester Ogbonda sounds a great young man. Hopefully he get his injuries beyond him and develops his basketball game some more.