Sylvester Ogbonda

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Does anyone know what the deal is with Sylvester Ogbonda. He’s played very little this season. You need a microscope to find any numbers for him. He’s made exactly two VERY short appearances with the walk-ons if I remember correctly. I know he was hurt for awhile early in the season. He still has two years of eligibility left. What’s the ‘plan’ for him? Does he have any future as ac ACC player? Thanks.

KeystoneJacket

Helluva Engineer
Definitely disappointing after Pastner singled him out multiple times as having the best offseason of anyone on the squad.

Lightbulb

Jolly Good Fellow
Just looked him up on ESPN and he’s played a total of 8 minutes in 4 games. He played 5 minutes against UT Rio Grande...

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
If I have one gripe about the coaching job CJP has done this year, it's the lack of minutes for Cole, Wright and SO. Our season was essentially shot (regarding post season play) before the conference games began. I want to see some of these guys get some minutes. Hell, AD has improved a ton from just a couple of months ago. If CJP wants to "get old and stay old," then these guys need to be getting some real PT before they're upper classmen.

I wonder if Lammers would've had a better season if CJP would've gotten him an extra 5-7 minutes of rest on the bench during games.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Sure, practice is fine but at some point these guys need to get a feel for what it's like in ACC play. Next year, if we don't get a big thru grad transfer, we will be depending A LOT on these guys. I'd rather we work thru some growing pains now when the outcome of the season has already been determined.

If we weren't going to give Cole or Wright any run in conference play, looks like trying to redshirt at least 1 of these guys would've been a better solution.

slugboy

Staff member
Sure, practice is fine but at some point these guys need to get a feel for what it's like in ACC play. Next year, if we don't get a big thru grad transfer, we will be depending A LOT on these guys. I'd rather we work thru some growing pains now when the outcome of the season has already been determined.

If we weren't going to give Cole or Wright any run in conference play, looks like trying to redshirt at least 1 of these guys would've been a better solution.
Agree. Right now, it looks like both should have been redshirted. When Okogie was out and AD wasn't playing like he is now, it was a lot tougher not to play them.
I also wonder how much our backcourt is missing Darryl LaBarrie coaching. I assume since Reveno has the bigs that LaBarrie had the guards. He's not even listed in our directory now (http://www.ramblinwreck.com/staffdir/geot-staffdir.html#mbb).

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Agree. Right now, it looks like both should have been redshirted. When Okogie was out and AD wasn't playing like he is now, it was a lot tougher not to play them.
I also wonder how much our backcourt is missing Darryl LaBarrie coaching. I assume since Reveno has the bigs that LaBarrie had the guards. He's not even listed in our directory now (http://www.ramblinwreck.com/staffdir/geot-staffdir.html#mbb).
I think redshirting both was the original plan ...until all the sh*t hit the fan with the suspensions and the injury to JO. Wouldn’t surprise me if, depending how things develop over the summer and preseason practice, either one or possibly both Cole and Wright are red-shirted next year. I am not entirely sure either YET has the toughness to play the 4 in the ACC, although a little seasoning would likely help both in that regard.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I think redshirting both was the original plan ...until all the sh*t hit the fan with the suspensions and the injury to JO. Wouldn’t surprise me if, depending how things develop over the summer and preseason practice, either one or possibly both Cole and Wright are red-shirted next year. I am not entirely sure either YET has the toughness to play the 4 in the ACC, although a little seasoning would likely help both in that regard.

Jumpman has said, multiple times, that Moses was never going to redshirt. I believe him.

slugboy

Staff member
If both are redshirted as sophomores, I'll be surprised. I'll be mildly surprised if either are redshirted next year. This was really the year for that. We'll be down Lammers and I would hope that after a full year of practice and S&C they would be ready.

Jumpman has said, multiple times, that Moses was never going to redshirt. I believe him.
I do too, which makes me wish he was ready to play more now.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I would be VERY surprised to see either red shirt, especially with no other 4s coming in as of now.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Ogbondo red shirted last year so it would not have helped any to redshirt him this year. He and AD were projects from the Gregory era that were both high risk / low skilled but athletic bigs who could help as JR/SR players - maybe. Looks like we hit on one of two. Not bad actually.

Personally I would now start playing Wright and Cole some minutes in games. Enough to get a taste but not too much so they get hammered and destroy confidence. Neither really came with the pedigree to expect to play legit minutes in ACC play their first year so it is what it is.

sidewalkGTfan

Helluva Engineer
Personally I would now start playing Wright and Cole some minutes in games. Enough to get a taste but not too much so they get hammered and destroy confidence. Neither really came with the pedigree to expect to play legit minutes in ACC play their first year so it is what it is.
This is all I am wanting to see. There's no reason both of those guys can't get at least 8-10 minutes per game.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
As an aside, Notre Dame, the poster child for get old stay old strategy, doesn’t really play their Younguns either. However, they normally are in contention for NCAA tournament and thus don’t have the ability to play them very much.

We are obviously out of contention so I think we have a little more leeway now that we are out of contention.

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
As an aside, Notre Dame, the poster child for get old stay old strategy, doesn’t really play their Younguns either. However, they normally are in contention for NCAA tournament and thus don’t have the ability to play them very much.

We are obviously out of contention so I think we have a little more leeway now that we are out of contention.
Given the circumstances, I’d really like to see the kiddies get 12 to 20 minutes total between them in most of the rest of the games left: Wright, Cole, Ogbonda. I don’t see how it could hurt their development. Then again CJP has built more programs than I have.

mstranahan

Helluva Engineer
This has been a mystery all season. All the offseason chatter about how great Sly looked. Then preseason hype about Moses being a starter (including from Jumpman) Once the games started, they have both been MIA and when they play they look really out of their depth. Did they practice really well and then panic in game situations? I don't have the answer, but am mystified

Home Park Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I want to WIN every game we play. If someone is not playing, there's generally a pretty good reason why (they are not good yet). If Coach thinks we are more likely to win without them playing (and I do too), I'm all for that.

This isn't pro sports where there is a reward for losing (better draft pick).