Survey for BDS

TooTall

Helluva Engineer
To be fair, my season ticket cost would more than double with the lowest option provided on adding seats to the stadium. That's the lowest option they offered. They would triple with the higher option they proposed. While I am not opposed to paying more for my tickets, I am not interested in doubling my outlay just to get a chairback. As a father of 6, price is a factor for me. I buy STs and donate yearly, but adding chairbacks would likely cut into my donations, so I am not sure that's a win for the GTAA.

I am, however, encouraged that they are making the effort to poll the fans prior to making changes. This kind of feedback could actually be beneficial if used properly.
So just continue to buy season tix in a non premium section. Im a problem solver not a complainer.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So sad to read the comments on this thread… sincerely hope this doesn’t represent the majority of ticket buyers. As we all know, money drives everything in college football, and without more the Jackets are doomed to long term irrelevance. If we can’t support good faith efforts by GTAA to maximize stadium revenue, we can’t expect improved results on the field. Win first and then I’ll support it won’t get it done…
Yeah, the extreme version of this is to jack ticket prices up to $10,000 a game. Obviously, at some point price hikes could have a deleterious effect on revenues. There's a sweet spot and there's a time for everything. The time ain't here yet.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone mentioned how bad our toilet facilities really are. Some stadiums have a single rail to give back support. Also would give a place to hold on when climbing up those steep inclines in the upper decks. Better be under 70 or in good shape to make some of those climbs.
Duke made a big renovation a few years ago. Nice concession area and Iron Duke private box with some outside seating with individual tv screens. Very much improved toilets. Did not improve attendance. The East stands are almost empty unless they play UNC or State.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
So just continue to buy season tix in a non premium section. Im a problem solver not a complainer.
It's not just ab out what you would do, or what the most fiscally sound and rabid of fans would do. It's about what the public will do.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Has anyone mentioned how bad our toilet facilities really are. Some stadiums have a single rail to give back support. Also would give a place to hold on when climbing up those steep inclines in the upper decks. Better be under 70 or in good shape to make some of those climbs.
Duke made a big renovation a few years ago. Nice concession area and Iron Duke private box with some outside seating with individual tv screens. Very much improved toilets. Did not improve attendance. The East stands are almost empty unless they play UNC or State.
Yeah, what drives attendance most, premium toilets or winning football?

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member

I'm not complaining either. Like others, I am simply stating that there is a price point that would force me to watch GT football on TV vs. in the stands, or else cut my donations to the GTAA in order to afford the seats. I think upgrading the stadium is a great idea, but I don't think making the cost of attending a game that much more expensive is going to magically fix our attendance woes...

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I'm not complaining either. Like others, I am simply stating that there is a price point that would force me to watch GT football on TV vs. in the stands, or else cut my donations to the GTAA in order to afford the seats. I think upgrading the stadium is a great idea, but I don't think making the cost of attending a game that much more expensive is going to magically fix our attendance woes...
...and maybe not our revenue woes, either.

This general principle of the Laffer Curve applies to more than just taxes - it applies to prices of all goods and services:
Laffer curve - Wikipedia

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Also, no people standing or at high boy tables, blocking sight lines.
They're pretty nice when they're the last row (like at Falcons games). Good way to cool off/drink & eat while still being able to cheer/yell for your team.

Personally, I'm a simple (kind of) man. Let me buy liquor at games and I can make myself enjoy the 95 degree noon kick off games against alcorn state. Don't let me buy liquor, and I usually wish I'm at home for those.

However, I think there's some diminishing returns to the amount of club/corporate type seats I saw in the survey. The people that prefer watching in person do so because of the energy of the stadium. That's the only thing you can't replicate on TV. The reason corporations like having season tickets is so that they have an 'event' that they can take clients to and wine/dine them. Having too many 1/2 empty corporate seats takes away from that. I'm sure people in the know have crunched numbers and found it to be worth it in the long run, but as a common fan (not a premium club member) I just want to see Bobby Dodd rocking again. I don't see how adding more and more exclusive areas catering to only those fans will help.

For instance, beer garden in south end zone = awesome. $3000 tickets for exclusive indoor/outdoor seating with bars and TVs so you can watch other games in the south endzone = trash.

I trust ADTS though, so i'm sure I'm reading too much into the survey.

bigsands

Jolly Good Fellow
Any thoughts on BDS after the game at MBS?

I love the on-campus location of BDS, but it is just not a nice facility. The spread between all of the reported millionaires that GT produces and the quality of the stadium is staggering.

I support anything to make the stadium nicer.

Quality seats with leg room
Shade (those early season games are brutal)
Terraces, suites, clubs, etc
Concessions and general concourse upgrades

Please redesign the entire experience and get started or else you might as well host all games at MBS in a few years and tear down BDS. MBS is very nice, but a future in red seats is not desirable.

The games belong at BDS, but the time has come for a near total overhaul with an eye towards areas that benefit the students, some decent general seating, and dramatic increase in luxury amenities.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Any thoughts on BDS after the game at MBS?

I love the on-campus location of BDS, but it is just not a nice facility. The spread between all of the reported millionaires that GT produces and the quality of the stadium is staggering.

I support anything to make the stadium nicer.

Quality seats with leg room
Shade (those early season games are brutal)
Terraces, suites, clubs, etc
Concessions and general concourse upgrades

Please redesign the entire experience and get started or else you might as well host all games at MBS in a few years and tear down BDS. MBS is very nice, but a future in red seats is not desirable.

The games belong at BDS, but the time has come for a near total overhaul with an eye towards areas that benefit the students, some decent general seating, and dramatic increase in luxury amenities.
What I support is taking the money and spending it on recruiting budgets and coaches salaries. If you want to get the red out of the seats, make the team better and leave the stadium alone.

After we start filling it regularly, then we can think about upgrades.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
Talking to a ND alum who has been a big fan and supporter over the years and he said their current fan base has changed and the newer generation of fans seems to be more interested in the social aspect of being at the game and what is going on in the stadium etc. The survey appears to be addressing that.
Appears we may be headed to more of an event type environment and that will be a luxury item and those that don't want to spend that kind of $ will either sit elsewhere or watch on TV. I too would love to see us build a new stadium, but that seems to be out of the question, so it would be nice if we could continue raising more $ and tear down the west side and build new from the North around to Wardlaw with some of these new survey type arrangements. I could see gradually over time rather than tailgating people going there and socializing and that is $ for GTAA. Maybe we try some of this first before deciding to rebuild the west, get a feel for what is needed and then make the bigger decision would be the better way to go which is what it looks like we are doing, but it is and needs to change, that's apparent.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Just looking for a place to put this.

CPJ made some observations when he came in in 2008 and he was still harping on them in 2018.

He said it is hard to recruit at Tech because we are surrounded by Auburn, Alabama, Florida State, Tennessee, Clemson and Georgia. He said Tech can decide if we want to compete with them or not.

To compete we need 3 things, he said.
1. Upgrade of all facilities from stadium to locker room to practice facilities. 2. We need to greatly increase recruiting staff, film department and recruiting budget. 3. Fans need to show the same enthusiasm as these other schools and fill the stadium.

He got in trouble for that last point since some took it as a slap at Tech fans. But what he said was true. We are not Tennessee who will put 100,000 in the stands to watch a losing football program.

For Tech it has always been a chicken and egg thing about what has to happen first to create the revenue stream to make all these improvements possible.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
...and maybe not our revenue woes, either.

This general principle of the Laffer Curve applies to more than just taxes - it applies to prices of all goods and services:
Laffer curve - Wikipedia
Can’t help but think of Donald Rumsfeld who pushed the “curve” in every policy decision including promising that a war in Iraq would not only not be costly but would pay for itself.