Super Bowl 51 Atlanta Falcons vs New England Patriots

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He wont last very long at SF because they have zero talent and it could take 5 years or longer to turn them around. I think they will be hiring a new head coach by 2020.

49ers are starting to remind me of the Redskins. Unless they have a strong coach or GM, they're not going to ever consistently do well because their owner is too meddlesome. It was worse when Trent Baalke was more interested in being Machavellian than being a GM. They definitely need to clean house...it's pretty toxic there right now.

It's a shame. 49ers was a favorite team of mine growing up. They had good coaches, players, and a great owner. They were definitely one of the most well run teams in the NFL during the Debartolo era.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
The parallels between this game and our COFH game were striking, particularly since I think this one might be on me. My first daughter was born in 2014, and we won COFH in a close game where we were in charge the entire game and almost lost it on some bad calls...that Super Bowl was the one the Pats won where the Seahawks almost stole the game with Kearse's ridiculous catch before blowing it. Now this year my second daughter was born and we beat the Dwags in a game where we snatched victory from the jaws of defeat, and then the Pats just did the same last night. My girls are both 2-0 in their first go around cheering on COFH and a Pats SB (we don't really talk about 2015). Sorry, y'all.
upload_2017-2-6_17-3-48.png

No need to apologize as long as your wife is 3+ months pregnant with #3. I'm good with it.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I read an interesting piece somewhere -- realclearsports.com I think -- that dissected the coaching decisions pretty thoroughly I thought. One of them really struck me because similar views have come up on the board. At one point, third and one, they put Ryan seven yards deep to pass. They needed a yard and started seven yards behind the line, and then tried to pass for a yard. For a moment reading that I had this flash across my consciousness of Paul Johnson watching this moment and coming straight off the couch and embedding his head in the ceiling. It says a lot about Shanahan that he didn't trust his line for a yard, and a lot about the had coach that he did not interfere to change the call, and a lot about professional football that in that moment, about to cinch the Super Bowl, he was unwilling to go for it on 4th if he had to.
I found myself day dreaming about a team having a second string quarterback come into run the spread option in those situations. It killed me seeing the backfield so far away from the line of scrimmage. It looked like they had to run ten yards just to get a first down on short yardage plays. CPJ would not have been passing with the team already in field goal range.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
That was blatant and they weren't going to call it. The refs swallowed their whistles for NE. 62 passing attempts and not a single hold...
Seriously, there was one pass play when Brady had forever, he stepped up and made a first down throw on what I want to say was 3rd down, there was a major hold on I want to say Beasley.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
I guess I see things different than most, I did not see Brady will his team to a win. What I saw was the Falcon coaches will the team to lose. You get an onside kickoff and can come away with 3 points. With 3 something minutes you have the ball inside the 30 and you don't run 3 plays and kick a FG with one of the better kickers. To me that is on the coaches. And to top it off late in the 4th you don't tell your QB not to snap the ball with 15 seconds again poor coaching.

MikeJackets

Helluva Engineer
I guess I see things different than most, I did not see Brady will his team to a win. What I saw was the Falcon coaches will the team to lose. You get an onside kickoff and can come away with 3 points. With 3 something minutes you have the ball inside the 30 and you don't run 3 plays and kick a FG with one of the better kickers. To me that is on the coaches. And to top it off late in the 4th you don't tell your QB not to snap the ball with 15 seconds again poor coaching.
I agree the Coaching Staff wasn't ready for Prime Time:depressed:

When I saw it live, I was screaming CHOP BLOCK...And i immediately felt dirty;)

I didn't rewind to see if Mason was involved.

The Tech connection in the article seems unnecessary, but go figure.
I had no problem with the "connection," since the mutts and VT are always crying about us being Chop Block U. We all know it's not true, but ah, the sweet irony that it was a former mutt who was the real culprit there.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
There's an uncalled penalty on just about every play. It's just a part of the game. Quit whining.
For the most part probably so, some just more obvious than others that shouldn't be missed when a ref is right in front of it. There might be a penalty that's not called that didn't affect the play and others that affect a play majorly that are still not called.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
Having a couple days now to digest this, I can honestly say that this was the worst coaching blunder I have ever witnessed in any sporting event in my life. Shanahan and Quinn flat out gave away the Super Bowl. Sure, the Falcons went well beyond where anyone could have dreamed, but I can't just dismiss how horribly they managed the game. Even if we win the Super Bowl in a few years, this will always loom over the franchise...just God awful

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Having a couple days now to digest this, I can honestly say that this was the worst coaching blunder I have ever witnessed in any sporting event in my life. Shanahan and Quinn flat out gave away the Super Bowl. Sure, the Falcons went well beyond where anyone could have dreamed, but I can't just dismiss how horribly they managed the game. Even if we win the Super Bowl in a few years, this will always loom over the franchise...just God awful

Yup, every time they snapped the ball at :15 on the play clock, they were just adding time in for the Pats to try and come back. They needed to bleed the clock starting in the 3rd quarter. That doesn't mean go conservative...you can still attack all over the field without leaving extra time. That, plus the absolutely boneheaded play by Ryan to not throw it away on the sack, was just a killer.