Summer Ball

THWG

Helluva Engineer
There is an update for Summer ball on RamblingWreck.com. We've had several demotions from one league to another. It is very discouraging from top to bottom. The pitchers have a lot of high ERAs and the batters are pathetic, mostly under .200. Curry is an exception, but as a hitter.He has not pitched.
The only good looking pitchers are Brace (potential Saturday starter next year) Carpenter, and Winborne. Other than that, it's discouraging to say the least.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Update: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/072417aaa.html

Pitching performance (I won't say anything bad other than the facts):
Carpenter 5.53 ERA in Alaska
Winborne 1.52 in Alaska. (y)
Jake Lee 6.00 in Coastal
Archer 3.60 in Northwoods
Gooden 2.45 and 8.30 on two teams in Northwoods
Curry pitched one inning in Sunbelt.
Carpenter's stats were amazing until they made him a starter. Also, Brace's numbers are outstanding and I really believe that he and Curry are going to be a good 1-2 punch next year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Carpenter's stats were amazing until they made him a starter. Also, Brace's numbers are outstanding and I really believe that he and Curry are going to be a good 1-2 punch next year.

I did miss Brace who has one of the best performance of any of our pitchers. 1.70 ERA in 42.1 IP in Sunbelt.

As to being a starter in the ACC, well, we'll see.

Curry is really good and got thrown into the full fire too soon to really do well this year. But I agree Curry is who I expect to be our best returner based on that forging in fire.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Folks - I would suggest that you really look at Curry, yes, he is a very good pitcher but after 4 even 3 he sometimes cannot hit his mark. I would agree that he is a leading contender for one of the starter positions based on his performance but he has to go longer/deeper in the game and be consistent. He has no fear which gets him through the first couple of innings but third time around he has got to make changes and adjust because the hitters are doing that. He has a fast delivery so he can initially confuse a hitter out the gate if they haven't seen him before.

The one that I am anxious to see this fall is Jake Lee - have a few more of those Duke games and he nails the Friday night. As for Brace, great summer but remember, he had the momentum of high school ball. College pitchers show up to their team sometimes 5 or 6 weeks of no pitching.

I am curious how much longer they can hold out on Hughes, his summer stats, last I looked were concerning. I think he needs more time to recuperate. He certainly is a much needed a very good pitcher.

twofortheroad

Georgia Tech Fan
Update: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/072417aaa.html

Pitching performance (I won't say anything bad other than the facts):
Carpenter 5.53 ERA in Alaska
Winborne 1.52 in Alaska. (y)
Jake Lee 6.00 in Coastal
Archer 3.60 in Northwoods
Gooden 2.45 and 8.30 on two teams in Northwoods
Curry pitched one inning in Sunbelt.

Keep in mind that summer ball is the place to work through issues, develop pitches and come back in the fall with new perspective. I am not disappointed in the numbers but am happy to see the ones that have done well. Summer ball is a wide variety of players so you get to see some very high level as well as mid to low.

THWG

Helluva Engineer
Folks - I would suggest that you really look at Curry, yes, he is a very good pitcher but after 4 even 3 he sometimes cannot hit his mark. I would agree that he is a leading contender for one of the starter positions based on his performance but he has to go longer/deeper in the game and be consistent. He has no fear which gets him through the first couple of innings but third time around he has got to make changes and adjust because the hitters are doing that. He has a fast delivery so he can initially confuse a hitter out the gate if they haven't seen him before.

The one that I am anxious to see this fall is Jake Lee - have a few more of those Duke games and he nails the Friday night. As for Brace, great summer but remember, he had the momentum of high school ball. College pitchers show up to their team sometimes 5 or 6 weeks of no pitching.

I am curious how much longer they can hold out on Hughes, his summer stats, last I looked were concerning. I think he needs more time to recuperate. He certainly is a much needed a very good pitcher.
I live in gwinnett county and had the opportunity to see Brace pitch a couple of times. The kid is legit and his location was outstanding when I saw him. He has 3 pitches and can control all of them (hopefully that doesn't get messed up). Brace also threw a perfect game this year.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Keep in mind that summer ball is the place to work through issues, develop pitches and come back in the fall with new perspective. I am not disappointed in the numbers but am happy to see the ones that have done well. Summer ball is a wide variety of players so you get to see some very high level as well as mid to low.

Poor summer ball performance isn't necessarily bad (intentional double negative). But good summer ball performance is better than bad usually.

I've heard that outside of Cape Cod League, the ACC is much tougher than the rest of the leagues. Not the end but it is as it is.