Sugiura Says Bowl Game in 2015/16 "Not Going To Happen"

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Yesterday on the GT Mailbag on AJC, Segiura fielded a question:

"Also, as per bowl games, aren't we contractually obligated to the ACC to play in a bowl game if selected? (AugustaJacket)"

K.S. replied:

"I think you might be right. There'd be a lot of pressure to play. It's just not going to happen."

Does he really mean if GT wins their next 3-4 games and is eligible, Bobinski and CPJ will turn down a bowl? I scrolled back through several weeks of chat hoping that I was missing something, found zilch.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think he means it's a moot point and we won't be eligible.

I'd love to believe 100% otherwise, but one miracle doesn't make me forget what I watched the previous 5 games. We still need to get better to win 3 out of 4.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
Does the Alcorn State game not count for eligibility? FCS opponent? If so, I can see making the prediction (though it's still a dubious thing to say). If the FCS game does count, I don't see it at all. None of the teams on the schedule from here out are as good as FSU, which GT just beat.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Does the Alcorn State game not count for eligibility? FCS opponent? If so, I can see making the prediction (though it's still a dubious thing to say). If the FCS game does count, I don't see it at all. None of the teams on the schedule from here out are as good as FSU, which GT just beat.

All of our 3 wins count, and we need 6 total to be eligible. We win out in the ACC, and we keep alive our two big streaks, bowl games (top 3/5 longest) and at least 500 in conference (longest, iirc).

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
I think he was responding to WreXNEffect who suggested that GT should not play in a bowl game if offered because we always lose money going to a bowl. I think Ken's response was not that we wouldn't go to a bowl, but that we would not turn down a bowl if invited.

WreXNEffect posted quite a bit yesterday. In an earlier discussion, he said that ALL GT message boards are a joke and are highly censored to not allow ANY real discussion about GT. He was talking poorly about the team, the coaches, and the athletic department.

You can read the discussion here:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/10/28/georgia-tech-mailbag-brought-to-you-by-kroger/

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I think he was responding to WreXNEffect who suggested that GT should not play in a bowl game if offered because we always lose money going to a bowl. I think Ken's response was not that we wouldn't go to a bowl, but that we would not turn down a bowl if invited.

WreXNEffect posted quite a bit yesterday. In an earlier discussion, he said that ALL GT message boards are a joke and are highly censored to not allow ANY real discussion about GT. He was talking poorly about the team, the coaches, and the athletic department.

You can read the discussion here:

http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/2015/10/28/georgia-tech-mailbag-brought-to-you-by-kroger/

This ******* has been banned under many, many screen names. I'm surprised he's managed to show back up on the AJC. Appears the mailbag is the only board he/it can post on.

Pretty sure he meant that choosing NOT to go to a bowl, if eligible, was what was not going to happen. He never said nor implied that Tech would not become eligible. Some of you people need better reading comprehension.

TheGridironGeek

Jolly Good Fellow
The OP is not comprehendible Supersize.

I publish a running blog for a local high school team, and the readership consists of kids, old ladies, and a lot of people who think "first down" means the first guy to collapse drunk at Busch Stadium watching the St. Louis Cardinals. So, I'm pretty sure that my comments are simple and comprehensible.

Not to be combative, but if a newspaper reporter writes Re: GT going to a bowl game...it's just not going to happen then any misunderstanding is on him.

I publish a running blog for a local high school team, and the readership consists of kids, old ladies, and a lot of people who think "first down" means the first guy to collapse drunk at Busch Stadium watching the St. Louis Cardinals. So, I'm pretty sure that my comments are simple and comprehensible.

Not to be combative, but if a newspaper reporter writes Re: GT going to a bowl game...it's just not going to happen then any misunderstanding is on him.
But that is NOT what he said. In response to a question about Tech's AD turning down a bowl bid, Ken said, "I think you might be right. There'd be a lot of pressure to play. It's just not going to happen."
Ken almost never makes subjective statements, so the thought that he would even imply that Tech would not become bowl-eligible is not at all in his style. He is merely saying that NOT going IF ELIGIBLE is "just not going to happen."

ClydeBrick

Ramblin' Wreck
please-disperse.gif

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer

"Also, as per bowl games, aren't we contractually obligated to the ACC to play in a bowl game if selected? (AugustaJacket)"

K.S. replied:

"I think you might be right. There'd be a lot of pressure to play. It's just not going to happen."

If you take that into a larger context in which some jackleg has been hounding that: lower level bowls don't matter, and that GT should not go to a bowl game because they lose money:, then I read this to be: "I think you might be right." - We are contractually obligated to play - "There'd be a lot of pressure to play." - There would be a lot of pressure to play in a bowl game if we are offered. It would be difficult to decline to play. There is no reason to put this statement in if he believes there is no chance to qualify. - "It's just not going to happen." - If you take it in full context with the jackleg's comments and AugustaJacket asking aren't we obligated to play if selected, it seems to me obvious that turning down a bowl is "not going to happen."

K.S. replied:

If you take that into a larger context in which some jackleg has been hounding that: lower level bowls don't matter, and that GT should not go to a bowl game because they lose money:, then I read this to be: "I think you might be right." - We are contractually obligated to play - "There'd be a lot of pressure to play." - There would be a lot of pressure to play in a bowl game if we are offered. It would be difficult to decline to play. There is no reason to put this statement in if he believes there is no chance to qualify. - "It's just not going to happen." - If you take it in full context with the jackleg's comments and AugustaJacket asking aren't we obligated to play if selected, it seems to me obvious that turning down a bowl is "not going to happen."
Thank you. It's good to see somebody else on here has reading comprehension. I just texted and emailed AugustaJacket asking him to come on here and give his take on Ken's response. Pretty sure he agrees with you and me.