Sugiura: 3 things to know about new Georgia Tech assistant Ron West

chewybaka

Ramblin' Wreck
There were several factors in play last year. The only legit speed we had on the field was at BB and QB. Teams were simply not afraid of getting beat deep or outrun on the edges. So, you fire up the middle and hope to blow some plays up. Most of the big plays we hit last year were on dump offs, drags, or check downs over the top of a blitzing defense. They were handed to us. After the injuries, I really can't remember many big plays in ways we were used to seeing them, off mainstream TO concepts. JT broke free once or twice keeping on the option, and MM hit a big play on a speed option pitch, but besides that I am drawing a blank. I think CL hit a seam on the TO pitch against UVA.

Protection schemes might be a part of the problem, but the quality of the blocking within the scheme wasn't really good either, especially by skill position players. There were lots of menatal errors to go around.
Sadly, perhaps all of the above...

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
We use a lot of slide protection in pass pro. It's a deceptively simple concept: if the QB is rolling out to the right, each o-Lineman is essentially responsible for the gap to his immediate left. The BB will typically chip the playside end man on the line of scrimmage, and Justin will aim to roll outside of that, set his feet, and throw or run.

Great idea for a short, fast QB. The main benefit is that it, in theory, increases the distance between the D-line and the QB significantly. It also makes life easier for the OL, who now simply form a wall on the same side.

It goes to hell when your o-line can't make the right reads or are slow off the snap.

We weren't AMAZING at it with Shaq on the line. But having Shaq helped and having 2 NFL quality wideouts made us look better....and 2 NFL quality BBs puts some fear into D-linemen hearts.

I hope the new guy is a great teacher first and foremost. Scheming is the easiest part of coaching. Getting your guys to follow the scheme is the hardest.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
We use a lot of slide protection in pass pro. It's a deceptively simple concept: if the QB is rolling out to the right, each o-Lineman is essentially responsible for the gap to his immediate left. The BB will typically chip the playside end man on the line of scrimmage, and Justin will aim to roll outside of that, set his feet, and throw or run.

Great idea for a short, fast QB. The main benefit is that it, in theory, increases the distance between the D-line and the QB significantly. It also makes life easier for the OL, who now simply form a wall on the same side.

It goes to hell when your o-line can't make the right reads or are slow off the snap.

We weren't AMAZING at it with Shaq on the line. But having Shaq helped and having 2 NFL quality wideouts made us look better....and 2 NFL quality BBs puts some fear into D-linemen hearts.

I hope the new guy is a great teacher first and foremost. Scheming is the easiest part of coaching. Getting your guys to follow the scheme is the hardest.

What about reinstating gun plays? Would that help as well?

stylee

Ramblin' Wreck
Featured Member
You still have to have a pass pro scheme. I have no problem admitting that moving the QB into a pistol or gun set gives you more distance from the defense. The question is always: do the benefits outweigh the costs? I don't think Johnson thinks they do for his offense.

We didn't pass very well when we toyed with the pistol. JT and Tevin had the best GT passing seasons under CPJ purely from under center. We can pass from under center. We just didn't last year

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Tevin told me personally he felt passing from gun would be beneficial. That was before he was on the staff. Tevin threw from gun as well.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Tevin told me personally he felt passing from gun would be beneficial. That was before he was on the staff. Tevin threw from gun as well.

There's no doubt that Tevin liked the gun better. So did Vad.

That doesn't mean they were more successful passing from the gun.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
There's no doubt that Tevin liked the gun better. So did Vad.

That doesn't mean they were more successful passing from the gun.

the thing was installed by Johnson as I recall to fulfill his promise to use it more when he recruited Lee, who had never worked under center in HS and in fact had not played that much QB. Some recruiters were after him, I think, as a WR, his early position at Durham Hillside. Johnson got out of it the following year to "get back to what we were doing" because it didn't help Lee or Washington at all so the tradeoff hurt the offense. I don't have any doubt that if the pistol, or the diamond, or the option read was better he would be in one of them very quickly. Washington and Lee -- geez, that had to come, didn't it? -- might have liked the shotgun better. They could not do what they had to do to keep it in the offense. (Personally, I thought the "diamond" was just a knockoff of the basic spread option set with the Abacks moved back, but without the speed and quickness.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
It would be interessting to me if Coach let Bryan Cook be the offensive coordinator and he stepped into the head CEO position. I think it might bring a lot of benefits to the program.

Go Jackets!

PBR549

Ramblin' Wreck
It would be interessting to me if Coach let Bryan Cook be the offensive coordinator and he stepped into the head CEO position. I think it might bring a lot of benefits to the program.

Go Jackets!
I don't see it happening but that's a decision that is pretty much a career move for a head coach. He makes that decision and lives with the benefits or the consequences so it's a mistake to let anyone pressure you in to making it.