Sugiura: 3 things to know about new Georgia Tech assistant Ron West

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I think even CPJ has said that the gun is a little easier to throw out of. A lot of our offense (and many others) is about deception. If you can run the triple well on first down, and it is 2nd and 4, you can run the ball or bait the defense on play action off of a run look. I think Paul would argue that if you can do those things well you really won't need to get in the gun to pass a lot. Maybe on an obvious passing play, but there is a lot of practice that would go into the gun plays and you might risk being less sharp on the base stuff. If you are great at the base plays the gun stuff is really not needed.

IMO the only times we have needed a gun formation is when we could not run the base very well. I doubt that we could run the gun stuff if we couldn't run the base. I would love to see a team that could run the base as well as the 2014 Orange Bowl team, and have the gun formations as icing on the cake.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It would be interessting to me if Coach let Bryan Cook be the offensive coordinator and he stepped into the head CEO position. I think it might bring a lot of benefits to the program.

Go Jackets!
Not so much interesting as in shocking. That would be akin to discovering that the world indeed was flat. They would have to pry his beloved offense from his cold, dead fingers. All six of his play fingers. Johnson is probably one of the top five game coaches in the country, and Cook's role still seems a bit fuzzed up to me.

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Not so much interesting as in shocking. That would be akin to discovering that the world indeed was flat. They would have to pry his beloved offense from his cold, dead fingers. All six of his play fingers. Johnson is probably one of the top five game coaches in the country, and Cook's role still seems a bit fuzzed up to me.
That, plus the O, on gameday, is pretty much all in CPJ's head.

Even if he and Cook agreed to do this, Cook would need a couple lobes of CPJ's brain transplanted, or something like that.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
That, plus the O, on gameday, is pretty much all in CPJ's head.

Even if he and Cook agreed to do this, Cook would need a couple lobes of CPJ's brain transplanted, or something like that.

why? Navy seems to be doing ok without paul on gamedays....i think that part is a bit overblown....people can learn and become Jedi's of their own too. Otherwise coaching in this sport would have died in 1935

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
why? Navy seems to be doing ok without paul on gamedays....i think that part is a bit overblown....people can learn and become Jedi's of their own too. Otherwise coaching in this sport would have died in 1935
I don't disagree, but how long does it take?

How well did Navy do right after CPJ left, before Ken N. became a Jedi too? (That's not meant snarky; I'm on my phone, otherwise would look it up myself.)

Even if CPJ were willing and interested, this year might not be the year to try it, iow. Let's right the ship first.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Ken took over and Navy didn't miss a beat.
Look at the success Kennesaw had & Monken before going to Army.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Ken took over and Navy didn't miss a beat.
Look at the success Kennesaw had & Monken before going to Army.
Also, by the way, Monken is on the edge of breaking out at Army. They gave Navy all they wanted and could have won that game this season. Army is a team to watch in '16, because for the first time in my memory all three academies could have excellent football teams fighting for that trophy.