Strength and Conditioning?

Animal02

Banned
Had a 6'8" center on our high school basketball team - taller than anyone he played against - and quick as a house.
Girl I graduated from H.S. with was quick like that.....though only average height....the whole many was athletic and quick. Her son ended up playing linebacker for the Cowboys. There definitely is a genetic factor......one that I did not get......I just got the height.

LibertyTurns

Banned
We literally used to dive on the ground and try to trip people
That is compeltely not what a cut block is but well if you don't know that and actually believe that i don't think you'd understand what it actually is.
We wondered why we had trouble recruiting? I guess we went from tripping people to matador style, wave at the DL as they run by. It’s much better now We’re running an NFL scheme and getting our asses whipped.

Scubapro

Banned
Unsure of what they're supposed to be doing might be a reason for the OL to look like they're getting pushed around, but I also see our defensive backfield regularly pushed around trying to make tackles as well, especially late in the game. Guys are often getting 3,4,5 yards after the initial hit. I'm wondering if Lew is living up to his reputation. Or maybe it's our players back there, I dunno.
IMO this has to do with the idea / technique of 'tackling the ball' to force turnovers.
Tacking high is always a bad idea.
First, it doesn't stop the ball carrier
Second, it doesn't generate a fumble
Third, it's a huge boost to the runner's confidence to take a big hit and keep gaining yards.

Animal02

Banned
you can’t deny that our OL would at times literally throw themselves on the ground at the feet of the defensive players
Because all that was required was to slow the defender a step or two while the seam was hit. The "chop block" rule is another BS one, Double teaming was always big WRT line blocking. How many were hurt from someone blocking high and low from the front of the defensive player it was the only real way to drive a big lineman....this rule has made it impossible to double team.......now someone hitting high from one side and low from the other is a different story.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
you can’t deny that our OL would at times literally throw themselves on the ground at the feet of the defensive players
I was thought to do that in high school if I missed a direct hit. Hit the ground and roll into the opposing DL. And keep rolling. Oh, and whip your legs into him. Luckily, whipping became illegal by the time I got to college.

But that wasn't what our OL blocking in those days was supposed to do. Here's a film on the drills Tech used for OLs:

Warning: this is 15 minutes long and only of technical interest. This is how I was taught to block back then as well, btw; keep low and hit as hard as you can. (Our drills were, of course, much less sophisticated.) It was the decision to allow OLs to hold - as long as you don't grab their jerseys except quickly, of course - that changed that. Watching our OL block used to be one of the main reasons I went to Tech games. Not so much now, of course.

Animal02

Banned
I was thought to do that in high school if I missed a direct hit. Hit the ground and roll into the opposing DL. And keep rolling. Oh, and whip your legs into him. Luckily, whipping became illegal by the time I got to college.

But that wasn't what our OL blocking in those days was supposed to do. Here's a film on the drills Tech used for OLs:

Warning: this is 15 minutes long and only of technical interest. This is how I was taught to block back then as well, btw; keep low and hit as hard as you can. (Our drills were, of course, much less sophisticated.) It was the decision to allow OLs to hold - as long as you don't grab their jerseys except quickly, of course - that changed that. Watching our OL block used to be one of the main reasons I went to Tech games. Not so much now, of course.

I used to leg whip all the the in H.S. At 6'6, that was a long reach in the middle of the line

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Oh i understand that wasn’t our plan on OL blocking, but when things went bad on a play it usually appeared that our OL guys were just throwing themselves down and hoping for the best

InsideLB

Helluva Engineer
Factors:

Technique
Weight/Size
Quickness
Strength
Flexibility
Want-to/emotional maturity/motor
Gassed vs Fresh (depth, fitness,# of plays)
Understanding of role/scheme/etc.

IN GENERAL a senior is bigger, stronger, faster, has better weight and technique, has better chemistry, knows their job, and can play faster than can a freshman. Obviously there are exceptions, however across a roster a senior/upperclassman laden group is almost always more physical than a bunch of underclassmen for all the reasons above.

That said I noticed the D got pushed around less the second half. That tells me we came out flat...something we can't do given the youth of our roster. More want-to in 2nd half.

On O we lost Jordan Williams, and are playing Paula and W. Lay III at guards (3 guards ahead of them are hurt or slid to Jordan's tackle position).

Want-to, injuries/lack of depth, and youth are main issues imo. Somewhat interrelated.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Factors:

Technique
Weight/Size
Quickness
Strength
Flexibility
Want-to/emotional maturity/motor
Gassed vs Fresh (depth, fitness,# of plays)
Understanding of role/scheme/etc.

IN GENERAL a senior is bigger, stronger, faster, has better weight and technique, has better chemistry, knows their job, and can play faster than can a freshman. Obviously there are exceptions, however across a roster a senior/upperclassman laden group is almost always more physical than a bunch of underclassmen for all the reasons above.

That said I noticed the D got pushed around less the second half. That tells me we came out flat...something we can't do given the youth of our roster. More want-to in 2nd half.

On O we lost Jordan Williams, and are playing Paula and W. Lay III at guards (3 guards ahead of them are hurt or slid to Jordan's tackle position).

Want-to, injuries/lack of depth, and youth are main issues imo.
The DL lined up more in the gaps in the second half. At least that's what I remember. First half was with the NG directly over center. They did some shifting before the snap as well. I would like to see Biggers more at NG. He is the prototypical size for the 3 3 5. We are still a little small in the DL and may not be quick enough to offset the size difference. Griffin got through a couple of times with his quickness. He would be unstoppable if he was about 320.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

And they'd get yelled at if the did that. Because that did no good. That is no different than someone taking a kicks step back in the wrong angle and getting drilled by a DE on an outside rush turning around and watching the QB get sacked.

Also what if I told you the cut /quick slant is a staple of a lot of west coast offenses for short yardage that is LITERALLY that. Cutting is a tool, you target the thigh you want to get into the hips to control get to low you get pushed down and you miss, miss high and your are just doing a low drive block. As fro the kick step example. miss and you better hold.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
And they'd get yelled at if the did that. Because that did no good. That is no different than someone taking a kicks step back in the wrong angle and getting drilled by a DE on an outside rush turning around and watching the QB get sacked.

Also what if I told you the cut /quick slant is a staple of a lot of west coast offenses for short yardage that is LITERALLY that. Cutting is a tool, you target the thigh you want to get into the hips to control get to low you get pushed down and you miss, miss high and your are just doing a low drive block. As fro the kick step example. miss and you better hold.
Makes the DL keep their hands lowered as well.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

I am fully aware of what cut blocks are how they are correctly utilized in fb. I watched all 11? years of the CPJ regime

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
Quez essentially said this without saying they came out flat in his postgame presser.

Said they got challenged at halftime and came out and accepted it.

It feels like there are some bad apples on that side of the ball that are older that may be throwing off the whole unit. I say cut ties with them this off-season if not sooner.

One of them (IMO) is a legacy so that may be harder, but something has to change.