Strength and Conditioning?

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
Would like y’all’s opinions on this topic. I think that’s one of our many problems on this team. We are constantly getting push around on both sides of the ball over and over again? To me we look weak and sluggish at most positions. Just look at the good teams like Georgia and Alabama there are all huge and riped. In my opinion we need a hard noised strength coach that don’t take no **** instead of a Cheerleader running up and down the sidelines.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Can't judge without being in the workout room, but S&C appears to this fan to be sorely lacking. The OL is getting pushed around, and I'm so tired of seeing the opposition so regularly moving the pile after the initial hit, especially late in the game.

Bonaire41

Jolly Good Fellow
He seems like an awesome guy but this is a performance based profession and he just ain’t getting it done but that goes the the rest of the staff also.

Spalding Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Like mentioned above, none of us knows what’s going on in the weight room. If functional strength lifts and their variations are not the primary focus, then they should be. Functional strength lifts and data analytics are what a school like GT should be focusing on like the catapult systems we use during practice/ games. Not affiliated with these guys, but I highly recommend Barbell Medicine’s youtube channel and feel GT’s S&C staff could benefit from. They are Dr.s and have a very scientific approach to weight lifting and injury mgmt. that has lead them to win power lifing matches. Anyone nerdy enough can check out this video of theirs on pain/ injury mgmt. which GT’s Oline could use some help with and maybe you too.

alagold

Helluva Engineer
Yep, a LOT of talk and no results. ex-Harris #11 is one the strongest and fastest players (non-back) on team but has made NO impact in games.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Lew is well regarded in the industry and our players are definitely bigger and stronger. Sometimes, players get pushed around because they are unsure of what they are supposed to be doing. This looks more like that to me. As fans, we look for everything to be wrong when things aren't going well.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Lew is well regarded in the industry and our players are definitely bigger and stronger. Sometimes, players get pushed around because they are unsure of what they are supposed to be doing. This looks more like that to me. As fans, we look for everything to be wrong when things aren't going well.
Well something's wrong. We're just trying to figure out what it is. Lessee...Lew is highly regarded, but so is Brent.
Does the OL at times not know what they're supposed to be doing? You don't think Brent might be a tad overrated, do you? Say it ain't so...
Or are we going to have to recruit our way out of this mess?
What exactly is our OL's major malfunction?

Animal02

Banned
Optimally, you want to have on the OL a 6'5", 320 guy who benches 600 lbs. whose nickname is "Twinkletoes".
The comments had made me recall a player I saw at a D II game years ago (My daughter was in the band) Saw in the program, kid was a senior 6'7 and 325 lb. Wondered why he wasn't playing at a higher level at that size. He finally got in during the 4th qtr after the game was a blow out. The Stay Puff Marshmallow man moved quicker.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
The comments had made me recall a player I saw at a D II game years ago (My daughter was in the band) Saw in the program, kid was a senior 6'7 and 325 lb. Wondered why he wasn't playing at a higher level at that size. He finally got in during the 4th qtr after the game was a blow out. The Stay Puff Marshmallow man moved quicker.
Had a 6'8" center on our high school basketball team - taller than anyone he played against - and quick as a house.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Unsure of what they're supposed to be doing might be a reason for the OL to look like they're getting pushed around, but I also see our defensive backfield regularly pushed around trying to make tackles as well, especially late in the game. Guys are often getting 3,4,5 yards after the initial hit. I'm wondering if Lew is living up to his reputation. Or maybe it's our players back there, I dunno.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
One of the things I liked (yes, liked) about our OL under Paul was that it was always a lean, mean fighting machine. No guts allowed and every man was expected to hit somebody - that's hit, not waltz with - somebody on every play. When we got an OL of big guys, as in 2014, the results were even better.

I think one of our problems today is that we have emphasized sheer size over the ability to move. I get that Ugag, for instance, has a really big OL that can move. That's because they recruit better OLs then we can get into Tech. We used to get around that by being able to out run and out hustle opposing Ds. Not so much anymore. Our OLs appear to have a real trouble coping with agile DLs and most everybody has those these days.

Mind, I'm not calling for a return to the good old days; the style of O we now play needs guys who can waltz around DLs and LBs. But do they all have to be carrying 10 - 15 pounds more weight then they should just so we can say we are as big as the other side? When I look out at Minihan and Cooper, all I see is a couple of guys who used to be 295 and 305 respectively and were better OLs for it.

But, of course, that isn't going to happen. Maybe another year of conditioning …