Strategic Vision...

RonJohn

Helluva Engineer
...and Tech has had its fair share of "criminals" too so don't think we're above reproach.

I don't remember that GT has brought in a high valued player(or even low valued player) who had outstanding charges of domestic violence or rape in process against them. There is a former basketball player who pleaded guilty to manslaughter. However, unlike the case at Florida, I don't remember 5 or 6 criminal incidents of his that were covered up by the school while he was on campus. There have been a few cases of former football players having legal issues. However, I don't recall any obvious warning signs while they were on campus. There have been a few players with discipline issues in the past few years, but they are not on the team any longer.

In my previous post, I pointed out that:

Alabama brought in a player who was under indictment for domestic violence because there was a belief that he could help the football team. That player then assaulted his current(at the time) girlfriend in Tuscaloosa.
Baylor brought in a player who was kicked out of another school for sexual assault because there was a belief that he could help the football team. That player then raped a Baylor student.

GT had a player a few years ago who was accused of sexual assault. That player was a good player. He was suspended until the investigation was completed and no charges were filed. He missed an entire season. GT has had a few players with less public discipline problems that were not as serious as the sexual assault allegation. In those cases, when the coaches could not bring the players in line, the players "decided" to go somewhere else.

You can't put together a group of 105 people from diverse economic, social, and geographic areas and ensure that not any of them will ever do anything wrong. You can however, not bring in people who you are absolutely certain have done wrong. You also can take care of situations when they do happen instead of covering for and enabling a person with no moral compass like Florida did.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
Strategic vision? Simple: Keep the Football Supporting Alumni happy. For the last 50 years that means some unexpected wins over good teams, winning several more games than you lose over a 4 or 5 year period, the occasional very good year, playing teams outside of the conference and region, being competitive with uga in games even if you don't win, developing and graduating players, recruiting players that won't embarrass the fans and Institute, don't dilute the academics, a good game day family friendly experience, bowl trips, a fair and understandable policy on seat and parking assignment, coaches that you would be comfortable having in your house.

Johnson seems to be doing that. Gailey came close. If he had beaten uga in '06 with his best team, he would probably not have been fired. O'Leary, Ross, and Curry could have stayed as long as they wanted.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I don't remember that GT has brought in a high valued player(or even low valued player) who had outstanding charges of domestic violence or rape in process against them. There is a former basketball player who pleaded guilty to manslaughter. However, unlike the case at Florida, I don't remember 5 or 6 criminal incidents of his that were covered up by the school while he was on campus. There have been a few cases of former football players having legal issues. However, I don't recall any obvious warning signs while they were on campus. There have been a few players with discipline issues in the past few years, but they are not on the team any longer.

In my previous post, I pointed out that:

Alabama brought in a player who was under indictment for domestic violence because there was a belief that he could help the football team. That player then assaulted his current(at the time) girlfriend in Tuscaloosa.
Baylor brought in a player who was kicked out of another school for sexual assault because there was a belief that he could help the football team. That player then raped a Baylor student.

GT had a player a few years ago who was accused of sexual assault. That player was a good player. He was suspended until the investigation was completed and no charges were filed. He missed an entire season. GT has had a few players with less public discipline problems that were not as serious as the sexual assault allegation. In those cases, when the coaches could not bring the players in line, the players "decided" to go somewhere else.

You can't put together a group of 105 people from diverse economic, social, and geographic areas and ensure that not any of them will ever do anything wrong. You can however, not bring in people who you are absolutely certain have done wrong. You also can take care of situations when they do happen instead of covering for and enabling a person with no moral compass like Florida did.
Great post. I don't understand tech fans who minimize or deny the fact that GT recruits a different class of character than the factories.

LawTalkin Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Strategic vision: Block, No Turnovers. The rest will take care of itself

Seriously ,I think it is a fair question to ask. I think that the 2 goals should be to win ACC and beat Uga. However, I don't think that makes up a "strategic vision" either. Strategic vision may be more like:
1. Recruit upstanding student athletes
2. Graduate 90% of football players that don't leave early for NFL
3. Maintain facilities comparable to the top 15% of the power five schools
4. Sell out 90-100% of home game seats
5. Football revenue > Football expenses
6. Win ACC 20% of seasons
7. Beat uga 100% of the time

Its a start

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Strategic vision: Block, No Turnovers. The rest will take care of itself

Seriously ,I think it is a fair question to ask. I think that the 2 goals should be to win ACC and beat Uga. However, I don't think that makes up a "strategic vision" either. Strategic vision may be more like:
1. Recruit upstanding student athletes
2. Graduate 90% of football players that don't leave early for NFL
3. Maintain facilities comparable to the top 15% of the power five schools
4. Sell out 90-100% of home game seats
5. Football revenue > Football expenses
6. Win ACC 20% of seasons
7. Beat uga 100% of the time

Its a start
You had me up until the 7th commandment.