Stock up, stock down

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Three things with stock going up

1. Harrison Butker - Had a very impressive day with kickoffs and boomed several in the endzone for touchbacks. This has been a real issue for Tech for awhile and it is a great thing to have this problem solved...We did not get to see Butker kick any field goals...but he has the leg to be a good one in that area as well.

2. Micheal Summers - Summers had the best day out of the WR core and was targeted several times...CPJ used Summers for the smoke screen play which is someone he ran a lot for BeBe Thomas. Summers also had a great catch down the field on a high duck pass from Vad Lee. Look forward to see what he does the rest of the year.

3. Defense - Sure it was Elon...but a shutout is a shutout. The unit played great overall and had two pick 6's. We will see where this group stands as we face better teams but in week 1 they were simply outstanding.

Three things with stock down

1. Punt return coverage - I have no idea what happened Saturday but the punt return coverage was awful to say it nicely. Jamal Golden never had a chance to do anything on the returns as two or three Elon players were in his face as soon as he caught the ball. This is area that I expect us to perform better in.

2. Pass protection - Not sure what happened but after watching the film we did not do a very good job in this area. Coming into the season this is a place that I thought we would do very well in. Not sure if it was lack of effort or something else but this problem has to be fixed if we want to get this offense to the next level.

3. The Sun - Hey, I don't have three things to complain about from the Elon game which is a great thing. But I am sure anyone who went to the game will agree with me that the sun was awaful from around half way thru the first quarter on.

Overall there is a lot to be happy with from week 1 and there really can't be too many negatives from a 70-0 win.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Good review... wish we had more road games to start the season ... it can get nasty in the stands... then again, this was nothing like NC State game a couple years back, that was brutal!

John

Peacekeeper
Staff member
What was weird with the punt return coverage was there were like 5-6 guys that started to back away from the LOS before the snap yet they still got beat by the Elon players. But from how CPJ said it during his radio show, it sounded like the coaches were giving some of the guys a chance in punt return coverage and it didn't work out.

Anyone see how Michael did with perimeter blocking? That deep pass Vad (although it was still a bit underthrown) was tracked perfectly by Michael. Good eye/hand/feet coordination there.

DTGT

Ramblin' Wreck
Re pass blocking - the OL is a unit that finished 7 - 7 last season. Pass blocking is a work in progress.
url

gt13

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm not particularly worried about the performance of any of our defensive players. As a unit they got the shutout, and you have to wonder about their intensity -- which is bad of course -- but when your team is up 28-0 after playing a handful of snaps, it's probably different than playing in a close game.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Let's go with first game jitters. :cool:

I'm fine with this for one meaningless game only. That said I'm not sure what brought his stock up this year to begin with other than offseason interviews. He admitted in those interviews that he did not play great last year. As Coach Roof and Coach Johnson have stated about the defense's supposed improvement, it's time to stop talking and I need to see it to believe it.

Last edited:

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I'm fine with this for one meaningless game only. That said I'm not sure what brought his stock up this year to begin with other than offseason interviews. He admitted in those interviews that he did not play great last year. As Coach Roof and Coach Johnson have stated about the defense's supposed improvement, it's time to stop talking and I need to see it to believe it.
I don't think it was jitters so much as he was pressing. He was trying too hard to do too much.

On one play that comes to mind, he was in perfect position to make a big hit on his man to either jar the ball loose and prevent the reception or to make the tackle on the spot of the reception. Instead he dives to knock the ball down and does neither. I think once he studies the film, he'll approach the next game differently. At least I hope so. The guy's in tremendous shape, he's one helluvan athlete. He just needs to get his mind right.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Cheese, imo, the offensive references to tar and feathers should really stop. You did it on another site as well.

This thread is about stock up and stock down as a way of talking about stand-out good day or bad day. It's not saying that the season is over or that there are not more games to play. Those comments miss the whole point of judging the performance of one game. The bottom line is that Young got beat on coverage and missed on some arm-tackles. I don't know the play you have in mind about him going for the ball, the ones that come to mind for me were not like that. He had a bad game.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Cheese, imo, the offensive references to tar and feathers should really stop. You did it on another site as well.

This thread is about stock up and stock down as a way of talking about stand-out good day or bad day. It's not saying that the season is over or that there are not more games to play. Those comments miss the whole point of judging the performance of one game. The bottom line is that Young got beat on coverage and missed on some arm-tackles. I don't know the play you have in mind about him going for the ball, the ones that come to mind for me were not like that. He had a bad game.
Why is that offensive, it's a widely used expression? My point is that it's way too early to make stock claims good or bad on anybody. If you had a distant relative tarred and feathered undeservedly, I apologize sincerely.

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
Can anyone point to a play in the first quarter where young messed up? If so, please reference down and distance and time on game clock. I still haven't been able to watch the whole game. He certainly had a rough start to the second quarter, but seemed to turn it around right at the end with the almost interception and a couple of good plays in run support. In the first quarter, I count one pass breakup and otherwise uneventful which typically means pretty good coverage but maybe could use improvement in run support.