Stats

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Our problem on D this year, IMO, is pressure off the edges. It is often a deficiency for us and was last year also. We just are not getting the pressure and penetration we need. Probably not setting the edge as well as we'd like either. Man I'd give my left nut, maybe the right one too, for 3 more Adam Gotsis...s.

But there are other problems too.

I am probably wrong but I'd like to see even more play from Mitchell and Gray. Both guys have a great nose for the ball and tackle well. Mitchell Doesn't seem to get lost in traffic the way others have at times. Both are young though and probably more likely to miss a read etc leading to giving up a big play. Those are killers but I think the positives they bring to the table might outweigh the risks.

LibertyTurns

Banned
This article in FO shows GT once again is a major anomaly. Last year after game 5, we were #57 and ended up #10. This year the system would predict us to be 4-2 and we're 2-4, notably we're the team it is worst at predicting. On a positive note, we caught fire and by November there was nobody in the nation that wanted to play us. Wouldn't you have said the same after GSU, Duke & UNC. We didn't exactly play lights out last year in NO either. We pulled out one at VT and ok we pounded Miami until they cried uncle. Yeah, we'd kill to be 5-2 after the next game. Assuming we beat Pitt, would the overall performance of the Team last year really be any better after 7 games than this year at 3-4 outside of the record? I mean we really played some crap ball thru game 7, games 8 & 9 were better then WTF we went on a historic roll. For those of you that have thrown in the towel because make up the excuse (injuries, wasted recruiting year, too much unexpected attrition, etc) what tells you this Team couldn't go on a similar roll? Was it so clear to you last year we were about to break out but you were afraid to say it publicly? Didn't CPJ mutter something about this time last season about getting back to basics? I'm not sold this season's in the toilet yet. Minus a couple of games we could have won and some bounces that haven't gone our way, it's far from over and we still have a lot to play for.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/varsity-numbers/2015/varsity-numbers-looks-future

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This article in FO shows GT once again is a major anomaly. Last year after game 5, we were #57 and ended up #10. This year the system would predict us to be 4-2 and we're 2-4, notably we're the team it is worst at predicting. On a positive note, we caught fire and by November there was nobody in the nation that wanted to play us. Wouldn't you have said the same after GSU, Duke & UNC. We didn't exactly play lights out last year in NO either. We pulled out one at VT and ok we pounded Miami until they cried uncle. Yeah, we'd kill to be 5-2 after the next game. Assuming we beat Pitt, would the overall performance of the Team last year really be any better after 7 games than this year at 3-4 outside of the record? I mean we really played some crap ball thru game 7, games 8 & 9 were better then WTF we went on a historic roll. For those of you that have thrown in the towel because make up the excuse (injuries, wasted recruiting year, too much unexpected attrition, etc) what tells you this Team couldn't go on a similar roll? Was it so clear to you last year we were about to break out but you were afraid to say it publicly? Didn't CPJ mutter something about this time last season about getting back to basics? I'm not sold this season's in the toilet yet. Minus a couple of games we could have won and some bounces that haven't gone our way, it's far from over and we still have a lot to play for.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/varsity-numbers/2015/varsity-numbers-looks-future
It may not look like the second half of our season can be as good as last year, but it can be. Obviously we have already lost more games than 2014, but that really doesn't matter to me at this point. What matters is where we are headed. If we have as good a second half this season, I will be more than happy. There won't be an Orange Bowl, but there will be momentum, progress, and a couple of huge, high value wins. Let's get us a solid win this weekend and then just try and build on that.