Stats models and rankings

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
On offense, we showed what we are capable of when we have all our weapons at our disposal, against an average D. For the second game in a row, we scored almost as many points in the second half as the first, another encouraging sign.

On defense, some of the improvement was undoubtedly a result of UVA's inexperienced QB, but it was encouraging to see us continue to be opportunistic with turnovers and able to take advantage of UVA's weaknesses.

Special teams were solid. Actually, some of Shanahan's punt placements were excellent.

yeti92

Helluva Engineer
According to the play-by-play, Birr handled the first three kickoffs in the UVA game. They weren't great. Then we went back to Stewart. I wonder if Stewart has a nagging injury that might be cause for holding him out? Or maybe it's an accuracy vs. distance thing - Stewart has been getting touchbacks pretty consistently.

On this topic regarding stats and rankings, FEI has been updated through the UVA game. Our special teams have gone from dead last in FBS last year up to 45th this year, a bit better than average. That's better than I had hoped for after last year's debacle.
Yep, you're right I missed that. It looks like they both kicked off in the UNC game too, Birr came in during the 4th quarter but looks like he kicked off twice for touchbacks, so I'm thinking the short kicks that got returned pretty far were still Stewart. Both have kicked touchbacks, so yea maybe Stewart has the stronger leg but tweaked something vs UNC.

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
So, I decided to look at where we would be in the old ACC Coastal Division.

GA Tech (5-4): 4-2
Dook (6-3): 3-2
UNC (7-2): 3-2
VPI (4-5): 3-2
Miami (6-3): 2-3
Pitt (2-7): 1-4
UVA (4-5): 1-4

Ladies, we would be leading the Coastal Division right now if we still played under the division system. However, every other team would have a game in hand on us. We very likely finish 5-3. The best Miami could do is tie us if they win out, but they play FSU, Louisville, and BC, so that is very unlikely. Dook, UNC, and VPI could all pass us if they win out, and we only have HTH over UNC. Dook finishes with UNC, Virginia, and Pitt. UNC finishes with Dook, Clem, and NCSU. VPI finishes with BC, NCSU, and UVA. Very likely looking at a 3/4-way tie at 5-3.

Root4GT

Helluva Engineer
So, I decided to look at where we would be in the old ACC Coastal Division.

GA Tech (5-4): 4-2
Dook (6-3): 3-2
UNC (7-2): 3-2
VPI (4-5): 3-2
Miami (6-3): 2-3
Pitt (2-7): 1-4
UVA (4-5): 1-4

Ladies, we would be leading the Coastal Division right now if we still played under the division system. However, every other team would have a game in hand on us. We very likely finish 5-3. The best Miami could do is tie us if they win out, but they play FSU, Louisville, and BC, so that is very unlikely. Dook, UNC, and VPI could all pass us if they win out, and we only have HTH over UNC. Dook finishes with UNC, Virginia, and Pitt. UNC finishes with Dook, Clem, and NCSU. VPI finishes with BC, NCSU, and UVA. Very likely looking at a 3/4-way tie at 5-3.
Interesting, however, we didn't/don't play Duke, VT or Pitt this year so who knows. We could be better for sure but this team has been very unpredictable! Go Jackets - Beat Clemson! Show we belong!

stinger78

Helluva Engineer
Interesting, however, we didn't/don't play Duke, VT or Pitt this year so who knows. We could be better for sure but this team has been very unpredictable! Go Jackets - Beat Clemson! Show we belong!
Yes, I was going to note that, but we played Louisville, Wake, and BC instead. I would argue that L'ville is better than Dook, Wake about even with VPI, and UVA about equal to Pitt. I think SOS is about the same - so can we infer our results would be? Would we lose to Dook and beat VPI and Pitt? Meh... probably.

slugboy

Staff member
Sickos Committee update

IMG_0342.jpeg

Sanders has 24 TDs, 3 INTs, and 2882 yards. That’s epic, and he might still watch the bowls from home.

Last edited: