Statistics that give me hope about our offense

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
An offense that’s averaging 400 plus yards is not bad.
We are 42nd out of 72 in yards per play. We are 57th out of 72 in scoring offense. Our QB is 57th out of 68 in passing accuracy. We are 68th out of 72 in red zone conversions. Those aren't good numbers. You can make your own estimations about what the numbers would look like with less turnovers but its pretty obvious that they aren't our only problem.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
You just quoted games where we had 150 yess offensive yards per game. Yes, it is easy to twist data. I can definitely go pick games where we got some turnovers with short fields and skew my arguments too. Against NC State, half our scoring drives started on their side of the field. Against UNC, we scored 22 points, so you're holding them up as someone who scored more points against, simply because it was 2 points and we made our kicks and a 2-point conversion - which is special teams. LOL.

At some point you just have to wonder why some people constantly work so hard to try and spin things as negatively as possible.
Its called discussion. You think the offense is substantially better than last year, others see us averaging less than 20 points a game against mediocre defenses and think we should be doing better. Nothing wrong with differing opinions.

Deleted member 2897

Its called discussion. You think the offense is substantially better than last year, others see us averaging less than 20 points a game against mediocre defenses and think we should be doing better. Nothing wrong with differing opinions.

I see us averaging less than 20 points a game and think we should be doing better too. Our offense is substantially better than last year as the numbers show and our eyeballs see. We can say both of those things at the same time. My contention is when someone says our offense isn't better this year and that even if we cleaned up our turnovers and penalties we'd still not be any good.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
I see us averaging less than 20 points a game and think we should be doing better too. Our offense is substantially better than last year as the numbers show and our eyeballs see. We can say both of those things at the same time. My contention is when someone says our offense isn't better this year and that even if we cleaned up our turnovers and penalties we'd still not be any good.
I never said we weren't better than last year, and I said cleaning up our turnovers would probably get us to below average as an offense with all of our other issues. Feel free to disagree. I disagree with the substantially part. The data simply doesn't support that unless total yards, while running significantly more plays is the only offensive stat that you care about.

ibeattetris

Helluva Engineer
You think the offense is substantially better than last year, others see us averaging less than 20 points a game against mediocre defenses and think we should be doing better.
Last year's team also averaged less than 20 points per game (i hate stats like this but yall keep using them) so who cares? We have other metrics that are showing *promise*. We still have to begin converting opportunities into points, but the offense can only do so much. Missing kicks has been as painful as turnovers, and the offense can't control the kicker (though to counter, they can control scoring tds).

I certainly am not trying to make the argument that our offense is good, just highlighting stats that show improvement. Even if our stats are due to playing "mediocre defenses", we sucked against mediocre defenses last year too, so at least we are competing better against lower team.

Deleted member 2897

I never said we weren't better than last year, and I said cleaning up our turnovers would probably get us to below average as an offense with all of our other issues. Feel free to disagree. I disagree with the substantially part. The data simply doesn't support that unless total yards, while running significantly more plays is the only offensive stat that you care about.

Its hard to tell what you mean when everything out of your mouth is some spin on numbers to make them seem as negative as possible. Our offensive yardage and points are both up 50%. Are we good? Not yet. But, I'd argue we are a lot better, with fixable mistakes. Meanwhile, these are the types of comments you keep making, which make it hard to see that you think we've improved any:
We have gone from one of the worst offenses in the history of the program to just a really bad offense. That is progress I guess.

I would think anybody who watched our games last year where we had 135 yards and 200 yards in games and had multiple games where our offense didn't score a single point would then look at this year and say yes, we're a lot better...instead of saying "we are really bad" and every other possible negative view of things. How about some compliments somewhere...anywhere...just something nice to say every once in awhile.

Deleted member 2897

Its hard to tell what you mean when everything out of your mouth is some spin on numbers to make them seem as negative as possible. Our offensive yardage and points are both up 50%. Are we good? Not yet. But, I'd argue we are a lot better, with fixable mistakes. Meanwhile, these are the types of comments you keep making, which make it hard to see that you think we've improved any:

I would think anybody who watched our games last year where we had 135 yards and 200 yards in games and had multiple games where our offense didn't score a single point would then look at this year and say yes, we're a lot better...instead of saying "we are really bad" and every other possible negative view of things. How about some compliments somewhere...anywhere...just something nice to say every once in awhile.

As a painful reminder, here is a small snippet of some of our offensive performances last year:
Temple: 0 points
Virginia Tech: 0 points
Miami: 7 points
Pittsburgh: 10 points - the TD was a 1 play drive (short field due to fumble recovery) and the FG was a -1 yard drive after we blocked their punt but then went nowhere.
Georgia: 7 points - we recovered a fumble on their 17 yard line.

As a painful reminder, here is a small snippet of some of our offensive performances last year:
Temple: 0 points
Virginia Tech: 0 points
Miami: 7 points
Pittsburgh: 10 points - the TD was a 1 play drive (short field due to fumble recovery) and the FG was a -1 yard drive after we blocked their punt but then went nowhere.
Georgia: 7 points - we recovered a fumble on their 17 yard line.

And with this these teams all had really good to great defenses. FSU, UCF, and Cuse are not these. Let's see what we do with Miami, Pitt, ND, Clemson. Fact is I think our next game may determine the rest of our season. If we lose to Louisville and how we lose may determine if we win another game. If we win....then it is a let's see.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Partial list of teams behind us in total offense per game this year:

Alabama
Notre Dame
LSU
Louisville
Texas Tech
Georgia
Pittsburgh
Tennessee
Auburn
There are 46 more......and only 72 FBS teams have played. We are 19th.

At least a third of the posters on this board need to stop showing their ignorance. The "play calling" complainers the worst. I've listened to that stuff from fans of all teams for 40 years, and every time I hear it I think how stupid it sounds. As if there is some play that is magically going to score a touchdown if the OC would just call it. Such complaints show a complete lack of understanding of the complexities of college football.

It is not the play calling that is the problem, its not running the football or necessarily passing the football. Its throwing the ball to the guys in the wrong colored jerseys and fumbling. Nobody, not UGA, not Clemson not Alabama can overcome 15 damn penalties in one game and ten turnovers in two games combined with the hilarity of hitting one of our own players in the back of his helmet with a kick so that making extra points and routine field goals becomes an adventure.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
" Our QB is completing less than 50% of his passes the last two weeks. We are near the bottom in FBS in red zone conversions and TD conversions. We have scored twice in our last 16 2nd half possessions. "

These are all factually correct.

We have only scored twice in the last 16 "2nd half possessions"? I did not realize it was that bad. No wonder we lost.