Statesboro Blues

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Good question. Any issues with either? Wondering why CDH wouldn't get them an inning in some of these blowout wins?
I think them two and Archer are the only pitchers that haven't seen any action yet. I know Dulaney left summer ball early last year bc of arm trouble, but I thought I heard he was pitching in the fall. He was our best long relief guy at times last year. Are Curry and Shadday the only other freshmen pitchers? Connor Thomas is not eligible right now is my understanding, but he may be the best freshmen P after Curry based on fall reports. Gooden was highly ranked, so looking forward to seeing him get some mound time.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
I'll go to Omaha the next time GT goes ....... that's the plan. We can alternate rounds. Right now Irish Whiskey is drink of choice.

Didn't get to see the game and only got to listen to a little. Parr's line didn't look to good at > 2.0 WHIP. Of course, he only gave up 1 ER so he must have done something right. Did he pitch better than his line?

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

@senoiajacket Asking why I thought Parr was pretty good is a fair question given his high WHIP.

First off, I liked the way he worked and threw strikes until the 5th inning where he just ran out of gas. The hits on him weren't really hard but somewhat seeing eye hits. Kind of karma that The Vulture didn't get the win but Datoc (who I thought had the worst performance of the night) did get the win.

For me, the backdrop was we started with a 5 run lead so go after Southern and that's what Parr seemed to do:
  • 1st: 3 balls 6 strikes for the inning. Gave up a lead off single and then three ground outs.
  • 2nd: 7 balls 8 strikes. Lead off double, 2 outs, a 4 pitch walk (runners on 1st & 2nd) and a weak force out at third.
  • 3rd: 5 balls 11 strikes. SO, FO, single, single, FO.
  • 4th: 2 balls 14 strikes. Only inning they scored on Parr. FO, double, single,single, FO, GO. The hits were just happening and Parr was putting the ball in play. There is nothing else I expected.
  • 5th: 13 balls 10 strikes. GO, FO, walk, single, walk. Here's where Parr lost his control ending at 79 pitches. In hindsight, Hall left Parr in too long for whatever reason. Datoc came in and got a FO on one pitch.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
@senoiajacket Asking why I thought Parr was pretty good is a fair question given his high WHIP.

First off, I liked the way he worked and threw strikes until the 5th inning where he just ran out of gas. The hits on him weren't really hard but somewhat seeing eye hits. Kind of karma that The Vulture didn't get the win but Datoc (who I thought had the worst performance of the night) did get the win.

For me, the backdrop was we started with a 5 run lead so go after Southern and that's what Parr seemed to do:
  • 1st: 3 balls 6 strikes for the inning. Gave up a lead off single and then three ground outs.
  • 2nd: 7 balls 8 strikes. Lead off double, 2 outs, a 4 pitch walk (runners on 1st & 2nd) and a weak force out at third.
  • 3rd: 5 balls 11 strikes. SO, FO, single, single, FO.
  • 4th: 2 balls 14 strikes. Only inning they scored on Parr. FO, double, single,single, FO, GO. The hits were just happening and Parr was putting the ball in play. There is nothing else I expected.
  • 5th: 13 balls 10 strikes. GO, FO, walk, single, walk. Here's where Parr lost his control ending at 79 pitches. In hindsight, Hall left Parr in too long for whatever reason. Datoc came in and got a FO on one pitch.
Good stuff to digest. Just proves how "sensitive" situations are in baseball. Pick a cliche. "Game of inches" or "Timing is everything"

Seems our staff (so far) has managed to employ the Ted Roof philosophy. Bend but don't break....another cliche. o_O

We're winning (handily) which is the only metric that matters. No doubt, the competition come March will require the staff's very best. A high WHIP will result in more runs...nearly every time.

In interview with Wiley post-game, I inferred from CDH he left Parr in really wanting him to finish the inning. But the walks cannot/could not be tolerated.

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Good stuff to digest. Just proves how "sensitive" situations are in baseball. Pick a cliche. "Game of inches" or "Timing is everything"

Seems our staff (so far) has managed to employ the Ted Roof philosophy. Bend but don't break....another cliche. o_O

We're winning (handily) which is the only metric that matters. No doubt, the competition come March will require the staff's very best. A high WHIP will result in more runs...nearly every time.

In interview with Wiley post-game, I inferred from CDH he left Parr in really wanting him to finish the inning. But the walks cannot/could not be tolerated.

Like most who saw much of the opening WE series, I am concerned about middle relief. On Friday, IIRC, we were a couple of feet from being tied on a FO to right that Stallings (?) caught with his back to the wall. Saturday I guess we cruised through other than the ninth, but Sunday got rocky in the middle innings as well. I thought Carpenter pitched pretty well on Sunday, even though he gave up three hits. He line looked good from last night too. Hopefully the middle guys are just taking some time to get "warmed up" and as the season progresses, so will they. So far, the pre-season prognosis that we will go as far as our pitching will take us seems right on.

RoosterJacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Like most who saw much of the opening WE series, I am concerned about middle relief. On Friday, IIRC, we were a couple of feet from being tied on a FO to right that Stallings (?) caught with his back to the wall. Saturday I guess we cruised through other than the ninth, but Sunday got rocky in the middle innings as well. I thought Carpenter pitched pretty well on Sunday, even though he gave up three hits. He line looked good from last night too. Hopefully the middle guys are just taking some time to get "warmed up" and as the season progresses, so will they. So far, the pre-season prognosis that we will go as far as our pitching will take us seems right on.
If Curry, Hughes, and Gibson can give us quality starts all year, then that will help our bullpen tremendously. I think CDH would love to have SP go 5-7 innings, then Ryan in the 9th...so that leaves 2-3 innings where we need some guys to fill. Carpenter is likely the guy he's looking at for the 8th and also as a closer if Ryan can't go. I think the next guys he would like to fill the other innings are Parr and Datoc. Long relief would likely be Lee, King, and Dulaney (still not sure why he hasn't pitched). Then guys like Winborne, Schneiderjans, Combs, and Shadday will have opportunities to get some innings.

I'd still rather Parr be available for the weekend games than starting midweek games. I guess CDH may just play it game to game and if Lee/Parr/Dulaney are not needed during the weekend, they can start midweek games. Just have to make sure if he does that to not overuse them. Would love for one of the other freshmen (Gooden/Shadday) to be able to step in to a midweek starting spot. A lot of weeks, we will have two midweek games.