STATE YOUR CASE! (Best climactic battle scene in a movie)

Oh. It's OK. You're not the arbiter of what constitutes a "real" battle.

You're only stating an opinion.
So, I guess, keeping in mind that they are all merely actors, your OPINION is that a bunch of kids trying to win a dance contest is equivalent to a bunch of kids and men laying their lives on the line for a cause. Sorry, I just don't buy it. I am not the arbiter; facts are, and dance contests don't even compare to war.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
So, I guess, keeping in mind that they are all merely actors, your OPINION is that a bunch of kids trying to win a dance contest is equivalent to a bunch of kids and men laying their lives on the line for a cause. Sorry, I just don't buy it. I am not the arbiter; facts are, and dance contests don't even compare to war.

No. My opinion is that the word "battle" is not exclusively reserved for referring to events associated with war.

As you can see in this link, it's actually a fact that it's not a term exclusively reserved for war. It can refer to events of war, but it doesn't only refer to events of war.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/battle

Finally, don't make the mistake of putting words in my mouth. My OPINION is that some of these scenes from movies represent some great battles... in movies.

Nobody every tried to equate dance contests to the men & women who actually lay down their lives.

No. My opinion is that the word "battle" is not exclusively reserved for referring to events associated with war.

As you can see in this link, it's actually a fact that it's not a term exclusively reserved for war. It can refer to events of war, but it doesn't only refer to events of war.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/battle

Finally, don't make the mistake of putting words in my mouth. My OPINION is that some of these scenes from movies represent some great battles... in movies.

Nobody every tried to equate dance contests to the men & women who actually lay down their lives.
Regardless of how the word "battle" may be defined in a dictionary, you ask the man on the street what he considers a battle, and I guarantee you he would say physical combat, whether in war or otherwise. I would imagine that the majority of people who post on TheSwarm had the same impression as to what you meant that I did. A far better choice of words would have been "contest", not "battle". It was a poorly worded name for a thread, and, whether you meant it do do so or not, it's really an insult to people who have participated in physical struggles for victory ... i.e. battles.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Regardless of how the word "battle" may be defined in a dictionary, you ask the man on the street what he considers a battle, and I guarantee you he would say physical combat, whether in war or otherwise. I would imagine that the majority of people who post on TheSwarm had the same impression as to what you meant that I did. A far better choice of words would have been "contest", not "battle". It was a poorly worded name for a thread, and, whether you meant it do do so or not, it's really an insult to people who have participated in physical struggles for victory ... i.e. battles.

One of the definitions of battle, per the Merriam-Webster link is literally "an extended contest, struggle, or controversy".

Our back and forth on the topic could be considered a battle of sorts.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I submit for your Friday viewing pleasure, the finish/fight that puts NASCAR in the national TV spotlight...

The 1979 Daytona 500

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
And just to be philosophical, I submit that movie "Castaway" starring Tom Hanks. What can be a more climatic battle scene than an entire movie where the protagonist battles Mother Nature, and himself, for survival.