State of the Tech State

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We need to recruit better. I will never argue that. We could get top 5 classes ( I'm not a big believer in class rankings BTW ) for the next three years and I would still want to get better. Having said that, the talent problems we have on the roster are limited to a couple position groups right now. Some of that is luck and some of that is just not casting a wide enough net. There are plenty of great players who are candidates for a technical degree. We are just not competing for them on a national scale because we don't have the resources to do so. We are getting better, but we need to get way better, way faster. It is going to take money and staff. I wish the hill had the mindset to pitch in with $$. That way we could keep the standards.

Don't make too much of the Clemson loss in terms of a talent barometer. Yes, they had a talent advantage at QB and on the edges on offense. You have to keep some of that in perspective, however. They hit, I think, every single deep throw that landed in bounds. How often is any team going to do that? It was their night. The throws were on the money and the receivers made plays despite pretty good coverage most of the time. It wouldn't happen like that every game. It was unfortunate, and it was the difference in the game. Just 50% completions on deep balls would have made a completely different game. We had one coverage bust on a deep throw with Smith rotating too late after Young took away the underneath thinking he had help. White covered better than the results. That is really where the talent came in. He got beat on the contested balls up high against a very tall, fast, and agile kid. Wadkins is going to get his yards against everybody, not just GT. Still, I want those kind of players on or team catching passes.

jayparr

Helluva Engineer
We need to recruit better. I will never argue that. We could get top 5 classes ( I'm not a big believer in class rankings BTW ) for the next three years and I would still want to get better. Having said that, the talent problems we have on the roster are limited to a couple position groups right now. Some of that is luck and some of that is just not casting a wide enough net. There are plenty of great players who are candidates for a technical degree. We are just not competing for them on a national scale because we don't have the resources to do so. We are getting better, but we need to get way better, way faster. It is going to take money and staff. I wish the hill had the mindset to pitch in with $$. That way we could keep the standards.

Don't make too much of the Clemson loss in terms of a talent barometer. Yes, they had a talent advantage at QB and on the edges on offense. You have to keep some of that in perspective, however. They hit, I think, every single deep throw that landed in bounds. How often is any team going to do that? It was their night. The throws were on the money and the receivers made plays despite pretty good coverage most of the time. It wouldn't happen like that every game. It was unfortunate, and it was the difference in the game. Just 50% completions on deep balls would have made a completely different game. We had one coverage bust on a deep throw with Smith rotating too late after Young took away the underneath thinking he had help. White covered better than the results. That is really where the talent came in. He got beat on the contested balls up high against a very tall, fast, and agile kid. Wadkins is going to get his yards against everybody, not just GT. Still, I want those kind of players on or team catching passes.
You are right on about the coverage!

Tempest_12

Jolly Good Fellow

Still not convinced that Watkins didn't push off of White on the long touchdown pass...

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I cherish my GT degree and all it stands for. I don't want it tarnished one bit. Lets keep the standards, but up the level of financial and logistical support required for recruiting / finding the great players that do fit. I don't care if we spend 5 times as much as Bammer. Just do it. The money is there. It is only the selfish glory hounds that don't want to play in the flexbone, or for Johnson. Let's keep that in mind.

I was with you until here:"It is only the selfish glory hounds that don't want to play in the flexbone, or for Johnson. Let's keep that in mind."
Why would a kid be a selfish glory hound for not wanting to play in the flexbone?
As far as with recruiting I do agree with you, however, I do believe the offense does add another layer of challenge to Tech's recruiting.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was with you until here:"It is only the selfish glory hounds that don't want to play in the flexbone, or for Johnson. Let's keep that in mind."
Why would a kid be a selfish glory hound for not wanting to play in the flexbone?
As far as with recruiting I do agree with you, however, I do believe the offense does add another layer of challenge to Tech's recruiting.

I don't blame you. I guess it was poorly worded, suggesting that ONLY those types don't want to play in the flex. The idea I meant to convey is that the selfish players, and there are a lot of them, are going to steer clear of Johnson and the flex. Any kid who sees himself as a feature back, wanting guaranteed number of catches or carries and a minimum blocking role will steer clear of us. Like it or not CPJ and this offense are all about unselfishness.

I acknowledge your point that there are plenty of level headed team players who may prefer a different system.

Generally speaking, I feel our system is good for recruiting and helps us to get kids who are a good fit. It may harm us trying to land elite WR types but more than make up for it in other ways. When considering a lot of offensive skill players and OL for that matter, we are not competing directly with factory type schools. On offense, this is how I see the system as an incentive or deterrent:

QB: Huge incentive. There are a lot of really good HS QBs running an under center option based system that aren't candidates for any other big time programs. We should do far better recruiting QBs in the long haul than we have in prior systems.

BB: Mild incentive. The attraction is that you get a ton of carries and a lot of creases with chances to get downhill in a hurry. The down side is you get hit every play and you have to block. Once we get the first great BB recruited here, I think the dominos will fall. Still, until it happens, doubts will continue to linger.

AB: Decent incentive. Kids who are marginal, in terms of size causing them to miss out on factory schools, but great athletes none the less, can flourish here. The AB role is diverse and allows the player to showcase a diverse set of skills for the next level. Running, blocking, and receiving are all done on an equal basis. The only down side is numbers of carries not being guaranteed. Robbie Godhigh is a great example of an impact player at this position. He will probably prove to be a beacon for GT AB recruiting.

WR: Pretty strong deterrent. It takes a pretty special and unselfish kid to be an elite player at this position and still want to come here. True, you can flourish with all the one on one coverage, but you have to do a lot of dirty work for the number of grabs you are going to make. The problem is, we really need Bey Bey type receivers to become an elite offense.

OL: Mild incentive. Some kids like to drive block and are built to drive block. They are who we need. Not everybody, believe it or not, wants to drop in pass pro and take a beating catching DLs all day. Some would rather dish it out, and I don't blame them. There are kids we can get that are really good for us while not being considered elite on a nationwide scale due to height and arm length etc. Shaq Mason is a great example. Most OLs are rated by the services and factory programs on their pass protection skills. That is a secondary issue for us. We need speed, agility, and drive blocking skills first. There should be plenty left for us after the factories take their haul.

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
Honestly our offensive is a liability. I live over in Football crazy Gwinnett, and get to interact with a big high school on a daily basis. Many of the players I have developed a relationship with simply don't like Georgia Tech or Paul Johnson. You may hate this but its the truth. Here is what GT is fighting.

1) Image of Paul Johnson vs Mark Richt. Say what you want about winning, but most of the parents, even of GT fans, in the school, have literally said they would want their child to play for Richt instead of Johnson. You might say winning will cure all ills, but for a parent of a 16-18 year old, who has a huge influence over the final decision of their child, the image of your head coach being simply a "jerK", their words not mine, rings very heavy in their minds.

2) Image of the Institute: It drives me crazy, but these students, which go to one of the best public schools in our state, really don't know just how prestigious Tech is. Most of them think Tech is slightly better than UGA, but that it's not as great as it used to be. Every single country I have been in, and there have been many, people have known Georgia Tech. Tech is an INTERNATIONAL institute, UGA is a regional one. We have been beat in the PR wars in our home state, and the high schools are fed this constantly.

3) Girls: I hear this a bunch from the guys... When one of them starts talking about tech, another will inevitably say "yeah but there are no girls there, and the ones they have are ugly." As petty as that statement is, its the perceived truth. And its a hurdle to overcome.

4) Offense: These guys may play in a variation of the Wing T in high school, but it doesn't mean they want to always play in it. Scream as you want how our offense isn't the Wing T, most players are going to view it as a different variation of it. They see it as such because they, and the common fan, watch Oregon and the NFL and they see vertical passing all over the place. When our team can't complete these types of passes, we are looked at as being antiquated. We have the reputation of being your grandfather's football team

These are just a couple of the things that I hear constantly, and are major hurdles to overcome.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Honestly our offensive is a liability. I live over in Football crazy Gwinnett, and get to interact with a big high school on a daily basis. Many of the players I have developed a relationship with simply don't like Georgia Tech or Paul Johnson. You may hate this but its the truth. Here is what GT is fighting.

1) Image of Paul Johnson vs Mark Richt. Say what you want about winning, but most of the parents, even of GT fans, in the school, have literally said they would want their child to play for Richt instead of Johnson. You might say winning will cure all ills, but for a parent of a 16-18 year old, who has a huge influence over the final decision of their child, the image of your head coach being simply a "jerK", their words not mine, rings very heavy in their minds.

2) Image of the Institute: It drives me crazy, but these students, which go to one of the best public schools in our state, really don't know just how prestigious Tech is. Most of them think Tech is slightly better than UGA, but that it's not as great as it used to be. Every single country I have been in, and there have been many, people have known Georgia Tech. Tech is an INTERNATIONAL institute, UGA is a regional one. We have been beat in the PR wars in our home state, and the high schools are fed this constantly.

3) Girls: I hear this a bunch from the guys... When one of them starts talking about tech, another will inevitably say "yeah but there are no girls there, and the ones they have are ugly." As petty as that statement is, its the perceived truth. And its a hurdle to overcome.

4) Offense: These guys may play in a variation of the Wing T in high school, but it doesn't mean they want to always play in it. Scream as you want how our offense isn't the Wing T, most players are going to view it as a different variation of it. They see it as such because they, and the common fan, watch Oregon and the NFL and they see vertical passing all over the place. When our team can't complete these types of passes, we are looked at as being antiquated. We have the reputation of being your grandfather's football team

These are just a couple of the things that I hear constantly, and are major hurdles to overcome.
There's a lot in your post and you missed quite a few other detractors as well. Point being our offense is only one part. I agree it detracts some, but it attracts others. Justin Thomas is the shining beacon example. He gave up playing for the perennial national champion to play in this offense. Infact, if you do an offer study, you'll find our recruits typically have other BCS conference offers. Btw, we weren't reeling in the big fish with our pro style offense, or any other for that matter, in the last 50 years. Sure we had our '07 class and Calvin, but anamolies happen everywhere.

Another huge detractor is academic rigor and APR. Even smart kids can be short sighted and have mixed up priorities at 17 yrs old. The easy path through school is a huge carrot to most guys who fashion themselves the next first round draft pick.

APR is the biggest of all. Meant to force academic integrity on the factories, it only encouraged more meaningless basket weaving degrees. The schools it punishes are the ones with only legitimate and difficult degree paths. Guess who that is?

BainbridgeJacket

Helluva Engineer
I just have an image where we get tech grads who are CEOs (Walmart, waffle house, matria healthcare, etc.) to be on a TV ad that highlights some traditions and the likes of heisman as well as academic accomplishments. Throw in some shots of running of the roses for the hot girls and fit it all in 30 seconds. It would be better than the nerd image ads we've been pushing for too long that do nothing for our reputation.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I just have an image where we get tech grads who are CEOs (Walmart, waffle house, matria healthcare, etc.) to be on a TV ad that highlights some traditions and the likes of heisman as well as academic accomplishments. Throw in some shots of running of the roses for the hot girls and fit it all in 30 seconds. It would be better than the nerd image ads we've been pushing for too long that do nothing for our reputation.
Why don't those freakin' CEO's do for GT what the Nike guy did for Oregon? You guys have to read this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/03/s...ttering-monument-to-ducks-ambitions.html?_r=0

The Football Performance Center at the University of Oregon features rugs woven by hand in Nepal, couches made in Italy and Brazilian hardwood underfoot in the weight room that is so dense, designers of this opulent palace believe it will not burn.

Multimedia
Slide Show
Enough to Make an N.F.L. Team Jealous

University of Oregon has a locker room that can be accessed by biometric thumbprints. More Photos »

This is Oregon football. There is a barbershop with utensils from Milan. And a duck pond. And a locker room that can be accessed by biometric thumbprints. And chairs upholstered with the same material found in a Ferrari’s interior. And walls covered in football leather.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
I don't blame you. I guess it was poorly worded, suggesting that ONLY those types don't want to play in the flex. The idea I meant to convey is that the selfish players, and there are a lot of them, are going to steer clear of Johnson and the flex. Any kid who sees himself as a feature back, wanting guaranteed number of catches or carries and a minimum blocking role will steer clear of us. Like it or not CPJ and this offense are all about unselfishness.
I respectfully disagree with you Boom and this is why? Alabama, LSU, FSU, and countless others are examples of programs in which 4* & 5*talents commit to programs that are loaded with other 4 & 5* players knowing they won't have a realistic shot for 1 to 2 years of actually getting playing time. Elite WR talents knowingly commit to Bama regardless of Bama only putting in 1 NFL WR & only receiving passess 2 to 3 times a game thrown their direction. I agree CPJ's system is about unselfishness but I don't think it's any different than any other system or at least any other successful one.

I acknowledge your point that there are plenty of level headed team players who may prefer a different system.

I want to make sure I understand you because it kind of reads like you are willing to concede that GT can't recruit elite talents. I agree with the point Tech will never be a Bama or Jawja at getting the number of elite talents into the program, I do feel Tech can and should be able to attract 3 to 4 elite 4* type prospects a year to the program at a minimum. Top level talent. That's what this program has been missing for the last 3 going on 4 years now. Will Tech become a factory no, but being in the top 25 in recruiting should be a norm not atypical.

QB: Huge incentive. There are a lot of really good HS QBs running an under center option based system that aren't candidates for any other big time programs. We should do far better recruiting QBs in the long haul than we have in prior systems.

With many area and beyond programs running option based offenses I don't see how this is a huge incentive. Programs as diverse as Middle Tenn State to Auburn are using duel threat guys to run their offense, we just happen to be one of them. Honestly speaking I don't want a guy that isn't offered by big time programs I want to be one of the big time programs..

BB: Mild incentive. The attraction is that you get a ton of carries and a lot of creases with chances to get downhill in a hurry. The down side is you get hit every play and you have to block. Once we get the first great BB recruited here, I think the dominos will fall. Still, until it happens, doubts will continue to linger.

This is an area I would have thought the program wouldn't have trouble recruiting for, but it's been the opposite. From what I understand the perception is that bback's don't pass block nor are they asked to catch much out the backfield. The system creates holes for the ball carrier so their numbers are inflated. Perception is reality for some but I do feel this should be an area of incentive.

AB: Decent incentive. Kids who are marginal, in terms of size causing them to miss out on factory schools, but great athletes none the less, can flourish here. The AB role is diverse and allows the player to showcase a diverse set of skills for the next level. Running, blocking, and receiving are all done on an equal basis. The only down side is numbers of carries not being guaranteed. Robbie Godhigh is a great example of an impact player at this position. He will probably prove to be a beacon for GT AB recruiting.

Again, (broken record) I don't want marginal talent to be our programs. I love Robbie he's my favorite player on the team and he gets everything he can out his body, Unfortunately his body is not blessed to have top level speed and there were plays to be had if Robbie could have broke em. I'm not sure what the prototype for this position is anymore, being that there is no direct linkage for this position to the pros, and that most of our current talent at that position wasn't recruited for that position, I would say it's more of a detriment.

WR: Pretty strong deterrent. It takes a pretty special and unselfish kid to be an elite player at this position and still want to come here. True, you can flourish with all the one on one coverage, but you have to do a lot of dirty work for the number of grabs you are going to make. The problem is, we really need Bey Bey type receivers to become an elite offense.

Agreed

OL: Mild incentive. Some kids like to drive block and are built to drive block. They are who we need. Not everybody, believe it or not, wants to drop in pass pro and take a beating catching DLs all day. Some would rather dish it out, and I don't blame them. There are kids we can get that are really good for us while not being considered elite on a nationwide scale due to height and arm length etc. Shaq Mason is a great example. Most OLs are rated by the services and factory programs on their pass protection skills. That is a secondary issue for us. We need speed, agility, and drive blocking skills first. There should be plenty left for us after the factories take their haul.

I just can't wrap my head around the idea that GT should just give up on recruiting elite talent and getting the same caliber players as the factories should be goal, not the opposite. You just can't consistently out scheme talent. There is a true talent disparity a Tech vs Clemson and I haven't felt that way in a long time. Wouldn't it be nice to have a OL that can man up and push their defenders back and get in to the second level as well as create a nice comfortable pocket for the QB to be able to scan the field and throw from.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We absolutely should not give up on recruiting elite talent, but we still need to recruit to our system. Getting a 5 star QB that is a 6-6 statue with a cannon arm but also runs a 5 sec 40 will do us no good. Also, I don't think our OL would be as bad in pass protection as many think if they lined up with narrower splits. Teams that protect their passer with well formed pockets don't set up the way we do on offense. It is just a different scheme. In any case, we have been getting some pretty highly regarded talent at OL anyway and this is not a huge area of concern.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
We absolutely should not give up on recruiting elite talent, but we still need to recruit to our system. Getting a 5 star QB that is a 6-6 statue with a cannon arm but also runs a 5 sec 40 will do us no good. Also, I don't think our OL would be as bad in pass protection as many think if they lined up with narrower splits. Teams that protect their passer with well formed pockets don't set up the way we do on offense. It is just a different scheme. In any case, we have been getting some pretty highly regarded talent at OL anyway and this is not a huge area of concern.

Or maybe it's time to change the system. I'm not saying we should just junk this system (maybe I am especially when I'm mad) but definitely make some adjustments at the least. When I watch a team consistently beat our oline time and time again if it's not talent, then it has to be coaching. Personally I think we as a collective are settling and I can't understand that philosophy.

What has CPJ done to deserve this type of allegiance.
The win at Jawja?
The season of 10 wins & ACC Title?
The grad rate increase, no trouble from the team in the papers?
All that is wonderful and I acknowledge, but that's four seasons ago.
Since then it's mediocrity or less than mediocrity in terms of results on the field. Being irrelevant in your own city sucks, going into games knowing you have no shot sucks. I look at the the Jawja game knowing we don't a chance and I look at a fan base that is becoming more and more apathetic. People talk about this recent class but it's still ranked 8th or 9th best in the ACC and we already have a defection. Tell me Boomer what are you seeing that says this will be turned around into the right direction.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
"Image of the Institute:"

From the ajc:
"Georgia Tech is one of world’s Top 100 universities at producing millionaires.

After studying the background of 70,000 millionaires in more than 200 countries, researchers concluded engineering topped the fields of law, finance, business and art history."

AJC took a shot though: "If you are a parent of a high school student eligible for the HOPE Scholarship that cares nothing about football or the availability of ‘hotties,’ the choice is clear."

http://blogs.ajc.com/news-to-me/2013/11/19/study-georgia-tech-engineering-millionaires/

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
There's a lot in your post and you missed quite a few other detractors as well. Point being our offense is only one part. I agree it detracts some, but it attracts others. Justin Thomas is the shining beacon example. He gave up playing for the perennial national champion to play in this offense. Infact, if you do an offer study, you'll find our recruits typically have other BCS conference offers. Btw, we weren't reeling in the big fish with our pro style offense, or any other for that matter, in the last 50 years. Sure we had our '07 class and Calvin, but anamolies happen everywhere.

Another huge detractor is academic rigor and APR. Even smart kids can be short sighted and have mixed up priorities at 17 yrs old. The easy path through school is a huge carrot to most guys who fashion themselves the next first round draft pick.

APR is the biggest of all. Meant to force academic integrity on the factories, it only encouraged more meaningless basket weaving degrees. The schools it punishes are the ones with only legitimate and difficult degree paths. Guess who that is?

You are right there are many more, I got tired :) Also I am just talking about the students I personally work with here in Georgia. There seems to be a lot of negativity that surrounds Tech from people that live relatively close

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
You are right there are many more, I got tired :) Also I am just talking about the students I personally work with here in Georgia. There seems to be a lot of negativity that surrounds Tech from people that live relatively close

I live in the West Georgia area and it is the same here. A lot of negative feedback about Tech (I.E. our offense, cpj, etc).

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Or maybe it's time to change the system. I'm not saying we should just junk this system (maybe I am especially when I'm mad) but definitely make some adjustments at the least. When I watch a team consistently beat our oline time and time again if it's not talent, then it has to be coaching. Personally I think we as a collective are settling and I can't understand that philosophy.

The win at Jawja?
Since then it's mediocrity or less than mediocrity in terms of results on the field. Being irrelevant in your own city sucks, going into games knowing you have no shot sucks. I look at the the Jawja game knowing we don't a chance and I look at a fan base that is becoming more and more apathetic. People talk about this recent class but it's still ranked 8th or 9th best in the ACC and we already have a defection. Tell me Boomer what are you seeing that says this will be turned around into the right direction.

He's fielded a team that's out-performed its talent and experience on offense almost every year he's been here. He's a proven, championship-winning, head coach at the FCS level and has proven his offense can thrive at FBS level. He's also demonstrated that he's willing to what it takes to get our D where it needs to be.

From 08-12, no ACC team has had a winning record in every year. Only 3 teams have had a winning conference record in 4 of the five years: FSU, GT, and VPI. Again, we're not where we want to be, but we've not been mediocre. I think Roof can get our D where we need it to be. When that happens, I think that we'll be reliably competitive. Go Jackets.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

The win at Jawja?

Well, you ask a big question, and I am going to try and give you the big answer. I'll start by saying this: I am not of the mindset to "settle" for anything, but by the same token, I don't feel we are in need of a "turn around" either. We are close as a program and we need to improve what we are doing in a few areas. We are not in disarray the way I see it. I can easily visualize the positive changes I desire happening with this coach and in the current system. I am going to try and make a prioritized list of what I feel needed / needs to happen to take us to the next level.

1. Hire a good COLLEGE DC who runs a good system and can communicate a plan. (Done. Roof is a good hire, we are making progress)
2. Improve the roster, especially at the DL and WR positions and to a lesser degree BB. (We are trying to make some changes with recruiting in terms of national scale, manpower additions, and targeting philosophy. The results will not be known for a while now, but I think we are just as likely to make headway in this area under CPJ and CTR as anybody)
3. Bring in, and develop, the right players at QB. ( I think we are on the right track here. VL, JT, TB, and our current recruit all seem to have better upward potential than their predecessors. The development side is coming a little slow for these guys, but their track is more of the norm than you might think. Guys like Winston at FSU only come along so often)
4. Improve on special teams. (We are much better this year but still need to grow)

IMHO those 4 things will have us at the top of the conference most every year under THIS coach. They are all doable. Now you may ask (or in fact DID ask) what has earned my allegiance to CPJ? Well, my allegiance is to TECH and not any one man. I like CPJ as a coach. I like his system. I think he needs to grow. I think he will grow and that GT represents the appropriate level of challenge for him at this stage in his career.

This is what I like about him:
1. He is doing things the right way. He sticks to his word. He emphasizes the importance of behavior, integrity, the meaning of commitment, grades, self sacrifice, following through, and being accountable. I truly believe he has the kids best interests in mind ALL OF THE TIME. The academic performance and lack of off the field trouble of the current players speaks for itself.
2. His offense is hard to stop.
3. I have watched enough film to know he is an excellent play caller and schemer on offense.
4. He is blatantly honest and straight forward.
5. He is willing to make changes and is constantly trying to build. (Third DC, new formations and plays, developing recruiting strategy)

This is what I don't like:
1. He can be *****ly and impatient with members of the press. Being an ambassador for the program requires more than he is currently giving.

This is what I am yet to be sold on either way:
1. Can he, as a persuasive personality, recruit at the level we need?
2. Is his system hurting our recruiting efforts?