Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Sometimes a guy just doesn’t have it. There’s nothing wrong with putting in the next guy when that is the case. It’s not gonna kill his confidence and he might just learn something watching from the sidelines. We need to play the guy that gives us the best chance to win that given day at that given moment. I know we need to build for the future and this is basically a throwaway season, but it’s totally unfair to the players to treat every game like a scrimmage so that the freshman quarterback can take his lumps and learn something.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Sometimes a guy just doesn’t have it. There’s nothing wrong with putting in the next guy when that is the case.

Baseball managers (and pitchers) get this. Golfers get this (although there is no one else to put in in this case). People with jobs understand this (there are "off days" at work for most of us if we are honest). I never understand why football coaches (and qb's) don't get this outside of the fact that the FB season (and an individual game) is relatively short.

slugboy

Staff member
Sometimes a guy just doesn’t have it. There’s nothing wrong with putting in the next guy when that is the case. It’s not gonna kill his confidence and he might just learn something watching from the sidelines. We need to play the guy that gives us the best chance to win that given day at that given moment. I know we need to build for the future and this is basically a throwaway season, but it’s totally unfair to the players to treat every game like a scrimmage so that the freshman quarterback can take his lumps and learn something.
I think you mean more on a given Saturday that it might not be his day. I’ve seen that even on a given series, where you just need to coach him on one thing while the other guy is in. I haven’t seen us sit a QB a series and coach them like that since maybe 1997-98 or so.

buzzed

Jolly Good Fellow
Then read the thread "Starting QB Speculation" starting about page 48 & you'll get a snoot full.

Against 'Cuse, IIRC, two of his INTs came off a backside defender hitting his arm as his threw to his left. That's on the rookie RT, et al.
I guess I haven’t been keeping up on all the threads, but I’m with you. You can’t blame him for all the unlucky tipped balls, or the lack of protection.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What’s unfair is Sims getting blamed for picks that are cause by the OLine. No one on this team is above the line of “take lumps and learn something”. Maybe the offense should ask the defense to take a seat for a series or two. The bottom line is THIS IS A SCRIMMAGE SEASON in the rebuild. Let the young guys play and prepare for when the games matter. All that matters at the end of this season is that GT football has taken another step in the rebuilding process. Collins will then have to decide who to keep and who to gently nudge out the door. The pieces are being recruited but it takes more than a year and a half.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
What’s unfair is Sims getting blamed for picks that are cause by the OLine. No one on this team is above the line of “take lumps and learn something”. Maybe the offense should ask the defense to take a seat for a series or two. The bottom line is THIS IS A SCRIMMAGE SEASON in the rebuild. Let the young guys play and prepare for when the games matter. All that matters at the end of this season is that GT football has taken another step in the rebuilding process. Collins will then have to decide who to keep and who to gently nudge out the door. The pieces are being recruited but it takes more than a year and a half.

If this season doesn't matter as you say, then why are they keeping score? Every game matters.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
If this season doesn't matter as you say, then why are they keeping score? Every game matters.
Yeah, scrimmage season is not good terminology. There’s nobody involved with the program that actually has that mindset. It is a rebuilding year, but saying it’s a scrimmage season is not the mindset that anybody needs to have. This rest of this season may actually be some of the most important games Tech plays under CGC. The 2022 recruiting class has to sign some of those big names that currently have interest in Tech. If they don’t put an attractive product on the field to close the season a lot of those guys will probably lose interest.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck

SOWETAGA, how many seasons are throw away seasons for you? You claimed last year was one. Now this year is a scrimmage season. When does the buck stop?

I believe none of the players would agree with you. I hope none of the coaches agree either. Every game matters. I do not understand your rational.

Milwaukee

Banned
SOWETAGA, how many seasons are throw away seasons for you? You claimed last year was one. Now this year is a scrimmage season. When does the buck stop?

I believe none of the players would agree with you. I hope none of the coaches agree either. Every game matters. I do not understand your rational.

3-4. And the administration agrees. It’s not rocket science.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
3-4. And the administration agrees. It’s not rocket science.
4 throw away seasons means that several guys he himself recruited would already be gone before we can be competitive. That is utterly stupid. Even 3 is ridiculous. If we can't finish strong this year, and have a pretty good football team next year then we probably don't have the right coach. We can't gawk over recruits like Sims and Gibbs and then give him a complete pass if he can't win with them.

Milwaukee

Banned
4 throw away seasons means that several guys he himself recruited would already be gone before we can be competitive. That is utterly stupid. Even 3 is ridiculous. If we can't finish strong this year, and have a pretty good football team next year then we probably don't have the right coach. We can't gawk over recruits like Sims and Gibbs and then give him a complete pass if he can't win with them.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

People are looking too much into the terminology rather addressing the point behind it. Whatever you want to call it, whether it's scrimmage season, throwaway season, rebuilding season, transition season, foundation season etc etc etc it all just means the same thing.

Look at the OL for example. The fact is the OL that we need for this offense differs greatly than the one we wanted for the previous offense. There was always a high chance that the OL that was inherited wasn't going to be able to transition that smoothly and that it wouldn't be until there were guys who were recruited for this offense and developed in it for a couple of years before we would see a "good" OL. There is a reason the vast majority of OLmen redshirt and why coaches usually want upperclassmen playing with the rare exception. Because you need a certain level of muscle memory to get the level of consistency that the OL needs. Unfortunately there is no shortcut to building 3 or 4 years worth of reps and experience. That's going to take, well, 3 or 4 years.

And that's one position group. On top of that, we didn't have a QB on roster with a skillset that we need for this offense, had to completely establish the TE position here, and our most proven WR was a guy who had caught 12 total passes. On the other side there were very valid concerns about whether the talent level of the front 7 on defense was the level we need to have success here and whether they could be developed enough or if the solution was going to be recruiting + developing. If the latter is what was needed then yeah, that will take multiple years to happen as well.

But we're at the start of year two and on offense we are basically cutting down on TOs and penalties away from having a good offense. That's not a bad place to be in considering where we were, and both of those issues are symptoms of a team lacking experience which we certainly do.

Deleted member 2897

giphy.gif

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
People are looking too much into the terminology rather addressing the point behind it. Whatever you want to call it, whether it's scrimmage season, throwaway season, rebuilding season, transition season, foundation season etc etc etc it all just means the same thing.

Look at the OL for example. The fact is the OL that we need for this offense differs greatly than the one we wanted for the previous offense. There was always a high chance that the OL that was inherited wasn't going to be able to transition that smoothly and that it wouldn't be until there were guys who were recruited for this offense and developed in it for a couple of years before we would see a "good" OL. There is a reason the vast majority of OLmen redshirt and why coaches usually want upperclassmen playing with the rare exception. Because you need a certain level of muscle memory to get the level of consistency that the OL needs. Unfortunately there is no shortcut to building 3 or 4 years worth of reps and experience. That's going to take, well, 3 or 4 years.

And that's one position group. On top of that, we didn't have a QB on roster with a skillset that we need for this offense, had to completely establish the TE position here, and our most proven WR was a guy who had caught 12 total passes. On the other side there were very valid concerns about whether the talent level of the front 7 on defense was the level we need to have success here and whether they could be developed enough or if the solution was going to be recruiting + developing. If the latter is what was needed then yeah, that will take multiple years to happen as well.

But we're at the start of year two and on offense we are basically cutting down on TOs and penalties away from having a good offense. That's not a bad place to be in considering where we were, and both of those issues are symptoms of a team lacking experience which we certainly do.
I actually don't think we are in that bad of a place right now, nor do I think CGC or any of the players think the way the apologists here do. Im just calling out what are obviously ridiculous timelines meant to excuse poor performance preemptively. We are 5 point underdogs to a fairly decent team this week and we have some people saying we won't be able to compete for 3 more years. Its just dumb.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I’m not a coach, player, or in any way affiliated with the team. I’m an alum on a message board. I called last year and this year scrimmage seasons because in scrimmage games you are assessing all your resources without dwelling on the scoreboard. That is GT football right now. I believe we are ahead of schedule in getting back to fighting for a Coastal title because our OLine, RB’s, and QB play is miles ahead of where they were last year. We are pretty competitive right now but the turnovers took points off our side and added to our opponents side, hence the lopsided last two scores. But, right now today the scoreboard doesn’t matter.

In the recent past GT football was just over powered and we all saw it. Right now in only year 2 we haven’t been over powered. UCF was simply better on the offensive side and turnovers killed us. Syracuse was all turnovers. I’ll take that over watching us just get physically mauled by the likes of Minnesota. Next year we’ll look at the scoreboard and judging the staff and players. Sims alone gives me a lot of hope for GT football. Outside the factories, everyone else depends on the QB position to make or break the season. Sims has shown all the tools to lead GT football to a fun future.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I actually don't think we are in that bad of a place right now, nor do I think CGC or any of the players think the way the apologists here do. Im just calling out what are obviously ridiculous timelines meant to excuse poor performance preemptively. We are 5 point underdogs to a fairly decent team this week and we have some people saying we won't be able to compete for 3 more years. Its just dumb.

Unless you are talking only about competing in terms of having the games still being competitive late, then it's not a ridiculous timeline at all. When people are talking about scrimmage seasons, throwaway seasons, rebuilding years etc, it is referring to competing for things like divisional/conference championships, not individual games. And no, it isn't a ridiculous timeline to say it's going to be 3 or 4 years before that can happen.

When Collins took over he inherited an OL that was recruited for and coached to a very different system; one which largely ignored a fundamental part of the offense we want to run. He also inherited a bunch of QB recruited for that system who's strengths didn't align with what we need. There were no TEs, and a WR group that was largely unproven. On the other side the defense had largely been a big weakness for a decade and there were legit concerns about the front 7 not just in terms of coaching, but in terms of whether there were the pieces there to have success.

The truth that many didn't want to accept last year, and seems many still don't want to this year, is that some of the issues that we had were almost certainly going to have to be addressed through recruiting and developing those players. But if it takes bringing in new players and developing those players to fix those issues then looking at year 4 or year 5 makes sense. In year 4, the first real class of a new staff, meaning not the transition class, will be either true juniors or redshirt sophomores.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
Unless you are talking only about competing in terms of having the games still being competitive late, then it's not a ridiculous timeline at all. When people are talking about scrimmage seasons, throwaway seasons, rebuilding years etc, it is referring to competing for things like divisional/conference championships, not individual games. And no, it isn't a ridiculous timeline to say it's going to be 3 or 4 years before that can happen.

When Collins took over he inherited an OL that was recruited for and coached to a very different system; one which largely ignored a fundamental part of the offense we want to run. He also inherited a bunch of QB recruited for that system who's strengths didn't align with what we need. There were no TEs, and a WR group that was largely unproven. On the other side the defense had largely been a big weakness for a decade and there were legit concerns about the front 7 not just in terms of coaching, but in terms of whether there were the pieces there to have success.

The truth that many didn't want to accept last year, and seems many still don't want to this year, is that some of the issues that we had were almost certainly going to have to be addressed through recruiting and developing those players. But if it takes bringing in new players and developing those players to fix those issues then looking at year 4 or year 5 makes sense. In year 4, the first real class of a new staff, meaning not the transition class, will be either true juniors or redshirt sophomores.
You might do better just saying we expect to be competing for Division and Conference championships by year 4. Im not sure many would have an issue with that. By calling every game until then a scrimmage game, it implies that we aren't really trying to win, and that we don't care whether we win or lose. There is plenty of value in a 7 or 8 win season even if we don't win the division or conference.

I also don't really agree on the OL. For some reason it didn't take Shaq Mason 4 years to learn how to play professional football. For some reason it didn't take Parker Braun 4 years to learn how to play at Texas. We have already made great strides from year one to year two. We have what many have described here as one of the best OL coaches in the country. It shouldn't take 4-5 years to get them playing well.