Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I just get the feeling that he might be playing more for the future and not necessarily for the here and now.

So which QB is the here and now guy? The true freshman? The rs freshman recruited for a different system with little experience, or the sophomore who played last year with horrible results?

There isn't always a great answer for the problems a team has.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I just get the feeling that he might be playing more for the future and not necessarily for the here and now.
He better be playing for the future (which he is). This is a rebuild not a retool. A retool is what Johnson did because of what Gailey left him. What Collins took over was a FCS roster with some exceptions. It’s going to take at minimum 2 more recruiting classes to even get where Collins wants us to be. Our entire defense is a patchwork right now. And we wonder why we can’t tackle and get burned consistently. We have some nice pieces but we need more and the only way to get those pieces is thru recruiting. Certain players aren’t going to just magically get faster and smarter over night so we just have to continue to deal with it. In the mean time he’ll get the young guys reps for the future.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
He better be playing for the future (which he is). This is a rebuild not a retool. A retool is what Johnson did because of what Gailey left him. What Collins took over was a FCS roster with some exceptions. It’s going to take at minimum 2 more recruiting classes to even get where Collins wants us to be. Our entire defense is a patchwork right now. And we wonder why we can’t tackle and get burned consistently. We have some nice pieces but we need more and the only way to get those pieces is thru recruiting. Certain players aren’t going to just magically get faster and smarter over night so we just have to continue to deal with it. In the mean time he’ll get the young guys reps for the future.
Troll troll troll your boat.

So which QB is the here and now guy? The true freshman? The rs freshman recruited for a different system with little experience, or the sophomore who played last year with horrible results?

There isn't always a great answer for the problems a team has.

As SOWEGA Jacket eloquently explained, CGC is probably playing for the future and not necessarily utilizing the best QB option right now.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
As SOWEGA Jacket eloquently explained, CGC is probably playing for the future and not necessarily utilizing the best QB option right now.

Do you honestly think if Graham was clearly the better quarterback and gave us the best chance to win that Collins would play Sims over him?

How do you think that would go over in the locker room?

I don’t know why I keep responding to these posts, but it’s mind blowing that people who claim to be GT fans think our coach is sabotaging the team somehow.

Things Collins has done to show he’s playing for the future (that may have prevented us from having a few more wins last year):

1. Run a pro based scheme offensively last year. We obviously could have looked a lot better offensively last year if we kept Oliver at qb and ran more run focused option schemes.
2. Giving young guys reps (though this is more out of necessity than anything).

Feel free to add, but if Collins was blatantly playing guys purely playing for the future and not putting the team in the best place to win, he would lose the locker room. When guys like Curry, Thomas, Davis and Cottrell last year seem to love him, that tells me they believe in what he’s doing.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
No.

Anyone who watched the FSU game and would argue we should’ve started someone else has an agenda.

We have turned the ball over 10 times in the last two games. I’m sure Collins has opened up the qb competition again. If Sims is the guy next FridayCS UL it’s because he gives us the best chance to win.

If someone else comes out and plays great, then that means they’ve earned it.

No coach is going to start a true freshman on the road at FSU without feeling very confident he is the best guy to lead the team. If it was close, you go with experience.
I don't necessarily think anyone else should be starting, I think ibeballin put together a nice thread highlighting some simple things that can drastically improve the offense such as slowing the pace to allow linemen to get ready for blitzes and things... BUT it's looking like FSU is hot garbage so it may not be as impressive as a showing as we initially thought.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Doubtful. People act like we have a proven option at QB instead of 4 underclassmen; 2 true freshmen and 2 who were recruited for a different system. Our starter last year was statistically at the bottom of FBS QB's and some are acting as if they just *know* somehow he is clearly the better option right now.

Let's not forget Sims' first game like it didn't happen. He has had one good game, one mediocre game, and one bad game. So, on balance, that averages out to average. With reps, he is going to get better.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone else think that there is a possibility that CGC does not want to start another qb at this point maybe at least in part that if another qb seems to out perform Sims, he would look bad in his decision to start Sims for the first 3 games?

You'd have a point if Sims wasn't the ACC rookie of the Week against FSU and was widely praised by the media for his debut.

Sims has been trending in the wrong direction the last two game though...and CGC pulled him in the 4th quarter against Syracuse.

Do you honestly think if Graham was clearly the better quarterback and gave us the best chance to win that Collins would play Sims over him?

How do you think that would go over in the locker room?

I don’t know why I keep responding to these posts, but it’s mind blowing that people who claim to be GT fans think our coach is sabotaging the team somehow.

Things Collins has done to show he’s playing for the future (that may have prevented us from having a few more wins last year):

1. Run a pro based scheme offensively last year. We obviously could have looked a lot better offensively last year if we kept Oliver at qb and ran more run focused option schemes.
2. Giving young guys reps (though this is more out of necessity than anything).

Feel free to add, but if Collins was blatantly playing guys purely playing for the future and not putting the team in the best place to win, he would lose the locker room. When guys like Curry, Thomas, Davis and Cottrell last year seem to love him, that tells me they believe in what he’s doing.

I'm not saying that Sims definitely isn't the best option we have. Maybe he is. What I'm saying is that I've seen enough of Sims getting the only meaningful reps at QB this season that I question the premise, and I'm not sold that there isn't a better gameday QB riding the pine. Now, maybe Sims turns things around and makes me a believer, but I haven't been convinced just yet.

slugboy

Staff member
I'm not saying that Sims definitely isn't the best option we have. Maybe he is. What I'm saying is that I've seen enough of Sims getting the only meaningful reps at QB this season that I question the premise, and I'm not sold that there isn't a better gameday QB riding the pine. Now, maybe Sims turns things around and makes me a believer, but I haven't been convinced just yet.
The only other way I know of for other QBs to get meaningful reps is to have a quarterback rotation. Is that what you want?

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We obviously could have looked a lot better offensively last year if we kept Oliver at qb and ran more run focused option schemes.
And we could obviously look better this year if Tobias was at RB. Like:

He'd do a lot better for us there then at DB. We have people who are faster, but nobody cuter. But this will never happen, of course.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
And we could obviously look better this year if Tobias was at RB. Like:

He'd do a lot better for us there then at DB. We have people who are faster, but nobody cuter. But this will never happen, of course.

I won’t argue that Tobias is great with the ball in his hands, but I find it hard to believe he’d do any better than Mason, Gibbs, Griffin, and Smith. Not enough to change the outcome of any games.

Watching our secondary play this year, I’d say he has much more of a chance to make an impact there. Especially with Swilling missing time.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
The only other way I know of for other QBs to get meaningful reps is to have a quarterback rotation. Is that what you want?
Honestly a rotation is what I was in favor of going into the year. The way Sims played against FSU subdued those thoughts a little, but I wanted to see somebody else get reps by halftime of that FSU game, at the end of the UCF game, and was excited to see Yates on Saturday, but still want to see Gleason get a shot at some point. I thought going into the year that Graham would start the year before the schedule changed. With games against Clemson and Gardner Webb likely being blowouts I thought it would be easy to get all 4 guys (or 2-3) game reps and get a good idea of what everyone can do. Obviously if Sims (or any of the others) is head a shoulders above the rest in practice, then that’s the guy I want to see the most of. But without any inside knowledge of how they compete/perform in practice, I want to see some of the other guys get reps.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Sims is by far the best QB we have. Collins will continue to play him as he should during this rebuild. Graham couldn’t even beat out Lucas Johnson last year. It’s gonna be funny when Collins has his players and starts winning what some of you have to say then. I’ve said all along that last year and this year are scrimmage years with an eye to 2021 to be competitive on a weekly basis. We are actually ahead of schedule because some guys have stepped up their game. The processing by Collins this off season will be brutal because he knows who the fakers are.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck

But your premise was that Collins made the wrong decision to start the year. As Techster mentioned above, Sims was the ACC rookie of the week after our first game and getting talked about by people all over the country.

Now I admit he has not played well the last two games. I personally would’ve taken him out earlier in both the UCF and Syracuse game.

None of that means Collins made the wrong decision to start the year.

If you look at the UCF game. He led a td drive (short field) to start the game, drove to the 8 before fumbling on the second drive, and led us down the field again before we missed a chip shot fg from the 10. We had a penalty to put us behind the chains which led a punt and were down 21-7 next time we got the ball. I’m sure he tried to do too much, but it wasn’t like he was playing terrible.

Syracuse game got off to such a weird start and he played awful in the first half. As someone else mentioned earlier, he was much better in the 2nd half going 11-16 before the last pick.

Again, I think he should’ve been pulled earlier in the Syracuse game as well as UCF once it was clear the game was out of hand. That’s the only thing I would criticize Collins on. Would’ve liked to have seen whoever the back up is get a few more reps.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer

Except there is no reason to actually believe that right now. Also SOWEGA is saying that playing for the future is the right call not that is what is going on in this case. Playing for the future has the implied meaning that there is an option that is better for now that we are choosing not to go with because developing a younger player is better for the long term. That argument is silly to make when the only choices are 3 freshmen and a sophomore because whoever is the best now is also going to be the best long term because they are starting out further along and all have plenty of eligibility left. That is even more true with this year not counting against eligibility. So how does that argument go? Graham has 3 years left after this year, and is better this year, but we're playing for the future by playing a freshman?

Nah, I wouldn't recommend an every other down or every other drive type of rotation, but I wouldn't be opposed to each QB getting 1 half to show their acumen unless they clearly cannot lead the offense after a few series.

1BearJACKET

Jolly Good Fellow
FSU was a game that made us look much better than we actually are (Jeff Sims included). I can see the coaches may have wanted to put him out there to poke the Seminoles and have some flash for recruiting. Jeff Sims has regressed each game since the opener. He should sit the next game out and observe. I mean since the coaches are supposedly playing for the future and wins and losses are an afterthought this season why not let all the QBs take their shot and see who does the best in games rather than practice.