Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have no idea who our best QB is...... I do know who our head football coach is.... and Geoff will decide who plays QB and who doesn't for GT.... His call, his responsibility...and he has seven year contract to make it work...or not...

IMHO, if CGC doesn't get us to at least 8 wins by year 4, he won't make it to year 5 in his 7 year contract.

Jolly Good Fellow
IMHO, if CGC doesn't get us to at least 8 wins by year 4, he won't make it to year 5 in his 7 year contract.
Agree 100%, here, guru.....but this is is a "who's our QB right now" thread.... and, I say, it's Geoff's call.... I'm betting he is playing the guy he believes gives us the best chance to win.... At least I hope he is...

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I just don't want to see him go 3 Or 4 miserable years of losing seasons, then have one big year and bolt for a "better" opportunity.

Gt2019

Helluva Engineer
Honestly if our offense keeps struggling and turning the ball over I think the offensive coordinator coach dave patenaude will be fired, CGC won’t let a specific person make him look like a bad coach and hold the offense down and risk him getting fired. I could see tashard choice or bent key getting the coordinator job if something like that happens.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
What are you talking about miserable years? I wasn’t miserable last year and I’m not miserable this year. If you want to talk miserable what about 2015 when we won 3 games with a coach with all his players and a fully established system. We have the best QB we’ve had in years. He’s a freshman just like Hamilton was at one point. We have the best RB since Dwyer who can take it to the house on any play. We have young high school players who actually think GT is cool again and a coach who isn’t an old gruff to every reporter he sees. Are the wins here yet? No. But we are fighting hard and aren’t running B-back dives into the butts of our OLinemen when down two touchdowns. In both losses we closed the gap after being down and turnovers killed us. We won’t turn the ball over forever.

Are the wins here yet? No. But we are fighting hard and aren’t running B-back dives into the butts of our OLinemen when down two touchdowns. In both losses we closed the gap after being down and turnovers killed us. We won’t turn the ball over forever.

Instead of running b back dives, we're throwing picks when down by 2 scores.

Gtech50

Ramblin' Wreck
Once we fix turnovers and Red Zone Offense this team will look a lot different. I hope CDP and staff take this week to slow things down for Sims and help him make easier throws. I don't understand why we try to make complicated throws in the redzone...just stick to the power run game with Griffin and Mason and low risk throws/screens.

Fixing these things will help our defense too. We have put them in some horrible short field situations and lose so much momentum when we turn it over.

slugboy

Staff member
Once we fix turnovers and Red Zone Offense this team will look a lot different. I hope CDP and staff take this week to slow things down for Sims and help him make easier throws. I don't understand why we try to make complicated throws in the redzone...just stick to the power run game with Griffin and Mason and low risk throws/screens.

Fixing these things will help our defense too. We have put them in some horrible short field situations and lose so much momentum when we turn it over.
We’re not executing on the screens. Technically, the two tipped/batted interceptions were on what should have been low risk passes. It’s in some of the videos that got posted.

SOWEGA Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Instead of running b back dives, we're throwing picks when down by 2 scores.
Picks at least mean we are trying. What we saw the last few years of the prior offense was total surrender. At least at the beginning it took legit talent to shut it down, ie. Iowa, LSU types. By the end we were getting stuffed by Duke and Minnesota.

I’m not losing sleep over aggressive picks by a 4 star freshman in a scrimmage season. Sorry, but the world isn’t ending.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Honestly if our offense keeps struggling and turning the ball over I think the offensive coordinator coach dave patenaude will be fired, CGC won’t let a specific person make him look like a bad coach and hold the offense down and risk him getting fired. I could see tashard choice or bent key getting the coordinator job if something like that happens.

This. We have pieces, and we have more pieces committed in this year's class, that other OC's can succeed if Patendaude can't get our offense going. GT OC job was a harder sell when CGC got here because OCs knew we just didn't have the pieces to be successful. Whether you like it or not, all coaches want to move on to better jobs or to be head coaches...and you're not going to do that if you go into a situation that isn't set up or has the potential for success.

That said, Patenaude has improved the offense from last year. We're still uneven, and at times it's ugly, but all the numbers suggest the offense this year is way ahead of where we were after 3 games last year.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
That is so circumstantial. the 2022 schedule doesn't look easy abet 2 years out. We play Ole Miss, at UCF, and at UGA in OOC and the crossover is at FSU (they can't still be this bad right) all have a chance of being a top 15-20 team by then. Tech could have 9-10 win talent if the OOC was more forgiving.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
I won’t argue that Tobias is great with the ball in his hands, but I find it hard to believe he’d do any better than Mason, Gibbs, Griffin, and Smith. Not enough to change the outcome of any games.

Watching our secondary play this year, I’d say he has much more of a chance to make an impact there. Especially with Swilling missing time.
The only thing I have to say about this is that we only have one RB - Mason - who is harder to bring down then Tobias. I'm Old School on this; I'll take a guy who is hard to tackle over a speed back any day of the week. Especially if he is cute in the bargain.

But, like I said, this isn't happening under the present coaching regime.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
We're still uneven, and at times it's ugly, but all the numbers suggest the offense OL this year is way ahead of where we were after 3 games last year.
FIFY. That's the difference and if we can avoid injury tsunamis then it will pay dividends as the year goes on.

Deleted member 2897

FIFY. That's the difference and if we can avoid injury tsunamis then it will pay dividends as the year goes on.

We’re getting open, catching the passes, running more, passing more, and blocking better. 80% of our offense to me is significantly better. If we can reduce penalties and turnovers, the rest will come. We had 6 games last year where our offense scored 0 or 1 touchdown. We’ve been within 1 score heading into the 4th quarter of every game so far. We got blown out 2/3rds of the time last year. We’re getting there.

SWATlien

Ramblin' Wreck
I’m not as concerned because the improvements are noticeable from eyeball to spreadsheet. They not there yet but it’s coming along fine. This a young team and there will be set backs but all I ask for is growth cause I know with growth will come wins.

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
For those who are all moonbeams and unicorns,

Statistically, the offense is better than last year, considering Tech finished dead last in total offense (in the ACC). There was only one direction to go.

Defense this year, just looking at total defense, is currently ranked 12th out of 15, (in the ACC) just like where Tech finished last year.

Since this is a thread on starting quarterbacks, my missive is that whoever was the starting quarterback this year, would have a better offense around them than last year. The offensive line is improved, especially in pass protection. So Grahams 45.1% completion percentage would be improved upon no matter who the starter. Sims is currently at 54%. But has 8 interceptions to 3 TDs. Graham only had 7 ints all season. Is Sims an improvement over Graham?

As has been pointed out, we are not at practice or team rooms, so we, as a internet board have no clue how the quarterback competition is going. We can only speculate. And look at stats. I am not convinced after the first three games that Sims is that big an improvement. Nor has he improved over the last 3 games.

Versus:
FSU 23/34 with 277 yards. 1 TD, 2 interceptions
UCF 18/36 with 244 yards. 1 TD, 2 interceptions
Syracuse 13/28 with 174 yards. 1 TD, 4 interceptions

After a bye week, I would not be overly shocked to see a new starter at QB. (Last time I looked there were 4 QBs ATL) Nor would I be shocked to see Sims come back and have an impressive game.