Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

slugboy

Staff member
4gdbvi.jpg

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Have any backup QB's ever made the league? I mean guys who only ever started when the main QB was not available or only came into the game situationally?

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
I hope the best for him, but I do not miss our QB play from last year.
You know, all game I was thinking I miss Graham's QB play last year. Say what you want but he had NO OL, and still hit beautiful deep balls. I think that would have served us well in this game.

dmel25

Jolly Good Fellow
Then you didn't watch his QB play last year or are just choosing to remember like 10 plays out of the entire year.
I am not saying Sims isn't good because he is, as he showed in the FSU game as well as his ability to get the ball down the field. However, Graham started learning the playbook late last year, was injured the first like 4 weeks, and had an awful OL.

Sims has a better OL, more time to learn the playbook, and isn't injured. Like I said, Sims is good, but I find it hard to believe Graham wouldn't be improved from last year, and we know he can hit the deep ball. I also don't remember him throwing what 6 INTS in his first 3 games?

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I think it is time to let Sims sit and watch. I would rather start a less talented qb who does not turn the ball over. He has to learn that the ball is the most important thing.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I am not saying Sims isn't good because he is, as he showed in the FSU game as well as his ability to get the ball down the field. However, Graham started learning the playbook late last year, was injured the first like 4 weeks, and had an awful OL.

Sims has a better OL, more time to learn the playbook, and isn't injured. Like I said, Sims is good, but I find it hard to believe Graham wouldn't be improved from last year, and we know he can hit the deep ball. I also don't remember him throwing what 6 INTS in his first 3 games?

Wait in what world has Sims had more time to learn the playbook?

In any way, last year even with Graham, the staff obviously didn't trust him to throw throw the ball. Sims has thrown the ball 28, 34, and 36 times. Graham threw the ball 28 or more times just once last year. 4 out of our last 6 games last year we passed for less than 100 yards. He completed less than 10 passes in 5 of the last 6 games. It wasn't like some lightbulb flipped on. He had a good game against UVA and a nice game against NCSU, but in between was the VT game and the 134 yards TOTAL the offense put up. He showed just enough to believe that if he improved he could be a good QB for us. But considering he was the returning starter, and supposedly "won" QB4 there is no reason to think he did improve like he needed to.

You bring up 6 INTs. Tell me how many times in his first 3 games Graham led us to 400+ yards of offense? In fact, go ahead and tell me how many times all year we did that? In his first real game with significant opportunities Graham went 10-24 for 100 yards passing, -2 yards rushing, and the offense got shut out (for the first of two times last year). Simply put, moving the ball and turning it over is better than not being able to move the ball at all and last year was a 3 and out fest. And the reality is that Sims, even with his turnover issues, almost certainly moves the ball best for us. We don't need a game manager. We don't have an OL that will allow us just to run the ball 80% of the time and win. We need someone who can make plays to help us move the ball, and I'm not talking about hitting one deep ball a game.

BleedGoldNWhite21

Helluva Engineer
Wait in what world has Sims had more time to learn the playbook?

In any way, last year even with Graham, the staff obviously didn't trust him to throw throw the ball. Sims has thrown the ball 28, 34, and 36 times. Graham threw the ball 28 or more times just once last year. 4 out of our last 6 games last year we passed for less than 100 yards. He completed less than 10 passes in 5 of the last 6 games. It wasn't like some lightbulb flipped on. He had a good game against UVA and a nice game against NCSU, but in between was the VT game and the 134 yards TOTAL the offense put up. He showed just enough to believe that if he improved he could be a good QB for us. But considering he was the returning starter, and supposedly "won" QB4 there is no reason to think he did improve like he needed to.

You bring up 6 INTs. Tell me how many times in his first 3 games Graham led us to 400+ yards of offense? In fact, go ahead and tell me how many times all year we did that? In his first real game with significant opportunities Graham went 10-24 for 100 yards passing, -2 yards rushing, and the offense got shut out (for the first of two times last year). Simply put, moving the ball and turning it over is better than not being able to move the ball at all and last year was a 3 and out fest. And the reality is that Sims, even with his turnover issues, almost certainly moves the ball best for us. We don't need a game manager. We don't have an OL that will allow us just to run the ball 80% of the time and win. We need someone who can make plays to help us move the ball, and I'm not talking about hitting one deep ball a game.

Sims has way more talent around him then Graham did last year so the total offensive yards is a moot point.

Our starting QB is averaging three turnovers a game and we’re now three games into the season. Those numbers aren’t inflated from one really bad game. He just can’t hold onto the ball. That’s a problem. What does it HURT to at least try someone else?

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Sims has way more talent around him then Graham did last year so the total offensive yards is a moot point.

No it isn't. The talent is better, but a big reason we couldn't move the ball last year is Graham's inability to consistently hit the short and mid passing game. It's why we were so bad with 3 and outs last year and we can't win like that. I hate that this conversation is making me talk bad about him, but Graham was a triple option QB that didn't transition well to the new offense. It's not unexpected and shouldn't be this hard to accept.

Our starting QB is averaging three turnovers a game and we’re now three games into the season. Those numbers aren’t inflated from one really bad game. He just can’t hold onto the ball. That’s a problem. What does it HURT to at least try someone else?

That isn't the way you make that decision. You don't just pull your starter and hope for the best. There needs to be a reason for it. A reason why your backup actually gives you a better chance. We absolutely need a playmaking QB. We don't have the luxury of being able to play a QB just because he doesn't turn it over. The problem is we have two tr freshmen QBs and two QBs recruited for an entirely different system, one being a freshman himself. The only QB we have with experience has not shown anything close to the ability to consistently move the ball. People need to accept the fact that there isn't always a great answer to a problem. The best answer might have obvious flaws.

LibertyTurns

Banned

Graham only threw 7 INTs total, all in 9 games where he started, none in the 2 games he was being shuttled in. He had 11 TDs as a starter and 1 against Clemp as a sub.

The stats between Sims and Graham are virtually the same. What’s debatable is the circumstances under which they’re playing. Is saying last year’s OL was not as good as this year’s OL inaccurate or controversial?

I admit I bought into the ”get Sims in there right now” position due to his performance at FSU and I let the hype cloud my judgment. Before the season I had hoped we’d get him ready first. We may have made a mistake by rushing Sims into the mix.