Starting QB speculation

Which QB will take the first snap for GT in Tallahassee?

• Graham

Votes: 87 26.9%
  • Yates

Votes: 79 24.5%
  • Gleason

Votes: 66 20.4%
  • Sims

Votes: 91 28.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
When you have three starting QBs you don't have a starting QB. It is a point Collins seems slow to grasp. Hand the ball to the best guy and coach him up.
We have only played one qb this year. WTF are you talking about? Someone has clearly not been watching the games.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
I don’t fault Graham. It’s coaching. Of all 4 QB’s, Graham is hampered by his high school coaching. I’m a South Georgia guy so I was always rooting for Graham. But the Coaching the other 3 received during their high school careers is far superior to what Fitzgerald offered. There’s a reason down here that players families will move to towns like Moultrie, Valdosta, and Lee County. It’s all about finding good coaching and not the good ole boy coaching. I see it every Friday night. Coaches who do whatever it takes to win and never developing players. It’s not their fault it’s just what they know. Graham is a stud athlete who could tuck it and score at will so progressions weren’t needed.

This is true. QBs are getting coached on some pretty complex stuff at an early age now. Many have private coaches, as well. I know Yates did.

BurdellJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think the real differences between the two boil down to two things. First, there's OL play. We had so many sequential injuries there that it was hard for the blocking to meld. This is especially the case for pass blocking. But enough of that.

The second is that Graham was hurt most of the year. He didn't really get well until late in the six games he played. The last one of those where we played against a comparable unit (NCSU) was his best game of the year.

But Sims has looked better. No denying that; he may turn out to be a right good country QB with a little experience. Right now he reminds me a lot of Reg in his freshman year: good arm strength, sees his receivers well, runs well, and occasionally forces the ball. If the coaches can get him to stop the last and and not hurt his confidence like happened with Reg, we'll have somethingst special. Oh, and it would help if the coaches could find another Calvin for him to throw to. No doubt that's on their list.an,

Would agree with most of your post but Sims, as a true freshman, has as much poise, finesse and touch on the ball as any GT QB I've seen going back to Joe Ham and maybe even to Young Lefthander. He has made some mental mistakes, understandable for a true frosh, and easily correctable.

kalld12

Banned
Would agree with most of your post but Sims, as a true freshman, has as much poise, finesse and touch on the ball as any GT QB I've seen going back to Joe Ham and maybe even to Young Lefthander. He has made some mental mistakes, understandable for a true frosh, and easily correctable.

I agree he looks very fluid, works through his progressions well, and is an athlete, but i haven't seen one deep ball that hit a reciever in stride or that was EVEN catchable. This will be a problem if he doesn't improve on this throughout the year. Graham was superior in this category, I admit Sims does most things better though and can see why he's the starter. Sims cleans that up which I have no doubt he will, he's our clear starter for the next 4 years, but if not he will always have people pushing for the job. Critical ability any GREAT QB needs to do

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
When you start a true freshman you have to be willing to live with the inevitable freshman mistakes especially in the first half of the season. What you are looking for is improvement throughout the season. We have to remember these guys did not have the normal spring or summer so the freshmen are still getting used to the size and athleticism of opponents and the speed of the game. You want a qb that is going to work hard and not continue to make the same mistakes. Based off the coaches comments Jeff is extremely hard working. You won't hear comments about him not putting in the work to prepare. Unfortunately, Jeff did not have the typical "easy" game or two to help the transition. Hopefully this experience will help moving forward.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I agree he looks very fluid, works through his progressions well, and is an athlete, but i haven't seen one deep ball that hit a reciever in stride or that was EVEN catchable.

I saw the same issues with his HS film. His long pass completions were mostly where the receiver had his man beaten, so the receiver had space to track the off target pass.

It's not to say he can't learn, but there is concern there. He seems to have every other attribute you want in a QB. He is poised, focused and doesn't let a bad play bother him. He is a big guy who can take a hit and bounce back. He also has a good grasp of the offense at an early stage, which indicates he is willing to work. Comparing his accuracy with UCF's QB's accuracy shows how far he needs to progress, however.

Lee

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree he looks very fluid, works through his progressions well, and is an athlete, but i haven't seen one deep ball that hit a reciever in stride or that was EVEN catchable. This will be a problem if he doesn't improve on this throughout the year. Graham was superior in this category, I admit Sims does most things better though and can see why he's the starter. Sims cleans that up which I have no doubt he will, he's our clear starter for the next 4 years, but if not he will always have people pushing for the job. Critical ability any GREAT QB needs to do

While not technically a “deep ball,” the play against FSU where he broke the pocket to avoid pressure and then threw Ezzard open up the field was pretty impressive and definitely stretched the field.

I will say he has missed several that could’ve been tds and also missed some open guys down the field (especially in the UCF game). Once he starts hitting those, our offense is going to be really explosive.

1601047094232.png

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
If Graham is going through something of some sort, good luck to him. He has represented himself and GT well.

RE: Sims, I'm hoping last game was a bit of nerves after we got punched in the mouth. He's still a freshman QB. Far from his potential in making those reads and throws. Sometimes that potential doesn't ever develop (see: Reggie Ball), but I very much like what I see from his approach and the positive things he has done which exceed what he showed in HS tape. I think he has excellent feel for the pocket which opens up a lot more opportunities for him. He's got a lot missing in consistently capitalizing on those opportunities, but the raw skills throwing and running from that situation are awesome. I hope the deep ball accuracy improves. A lot of that is timing and type of throw. Unusual that this is what a young QB does best right out the gate (ala Graham).

Deleted member 2897

As of 30 minutes ago (not sure of this IG story will show up right), JG seems happy.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer
JG has been QB4 all year.
It’s hard to understand how one falls from the starter to 4th string in one offseason. I like the guy and i’ve always pulled for him to beourstarter but i was alsoa little disturbed last season when he admitted that he didn’t put In the film time needed to prepare for VT. I was also impressed when he worked hard enough to become academically eligible again. He has all the talent in the world, I really hope he can find a position and succeed, most importantly I hope he gets his GT degree.